Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page





[No title]



SUSPICIOUS DEATH OF A CHILD; THE INQUEST. On Monday, Wm. Davies, Esq., county coroner, held an inquest at the Board Room. Town Hall, Rhyl, touching the death of Jane Alcock, 7, Hollingwood Terrace. The following constituted the jury :-Messrs J. Roberts, Ironmonger (fore- man) R. E. Hughes, Architect; William Parry, Abbey-street; J. T. Jones, Aled House R. D. Roberts, Auctioneer J. E. Varnoa, Wynnstay Hotel; H. G. Little, Bath-street James Kilshaw, New Inn George Clarke. Lorne Hotel; J. Frim- ston, Church-street; G. H. Robbins, Mirket- street P. Powell Jones, Water-street; Thomas Davies, Crescent-road R. S. Saunders, Abbey-street; and D. Trehearn, Stationer. Mr J. T. Jones, Aled House, asked to be exempted from serving, on account of being lame and unable to walk as far as Hollingwood Terrace to view the body. The CoroLer complied with the request. Robert Alcock, sawyer, living at 7, Hollingwood Terrace, deposedt hat he worked with Messrs Chas. Jones & Sons, Timber Merchants, Voryd. The body the jury had just viewed was that of his child, aged 9 months. About 12 o'clock on Saturday night he took the child, which was lying in the cradle, a bottle of milk. About 9-30 on Sunday morning, he went down tc light the fire, and called down the wife to get breakfast ready. The other child was rather cross. Having done some work down stairs she went up for the deceased. Witness was outside fetching some coals for the fire when his wife came to him and said the little girl was dead. Witness went up stairs to see the child and found it was dead, and afterward& went for Mr Sproson, who came with him to the house; and Dr. Summerhill was sent for. Dr. Summerhill having looked at the body, told witness that the best thing he could do was to go to Inspector McLaren. Witness went to the Police Station and related all the circumstances to P.C. Johns. By the Coroner The deceased was an illegiti- mate child, its mother being Jemima Broadie. When he got up on Sunday morning he did not look at the child in the cradle at all. There •vas no one sleepingjwith witness on Saturday night, iior had there been anyone for the last three weeks. 'l>e reason he took the milk to the child was because she was crying. The child, to all appearance, was all right on Saturday night. During his wife's con- finement witness's mother-in-law attended her, and also attended to the deceased. The first time he saw the child after Saturday night, was when he found her dead about 12 o'clock on Sunday morn- ing. Witness's mother-in-law was not sleeping in the house on Saturday night, having gone to her home in Liverpool by the 6 o'clock train. A neigh- bour of the name of Mrs Richardson also occasion- ally looked in. Dr. Summerhill deposed that he was called to 7, Hollingwood Terrace, between 1-30 and 2 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, and found the child lying in the cradle dead, and quite cold. The hands were firmly clenched, and the limbs contracted, the left side of thejchild's face and neck were smothered in vomit, and the child's mouth was full of vomit. He had made an external examination of the body that morning, and found a lot of post mortem stain- ing, but no bruises of any kind. The body was fairly well nourished, and the child had evidently been suffering from red gum. In his opinion, the cause of death was suffocation by food or the milk. By the Jury It was not a common thing for a child to be suffocated under simw,rly circumstances. Jemima Broadie, grandmother of the deceased, said that on the 15th of March, she went to Robert Alcock's house to see the child, but was told that she could not see it. The reason she went there was because she had heard that the child was unwell and very thin. The Coroner having summoned up, The jury returned the following verdict: fi That the child died from suffocation caused by vomiting, and the jury are of opinion that the father is guilty of gross negligence for not attending to the child for so long a time."