Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page

i Sunday Driqking at fyiydfeleii.


i Sunday Driqking at fyiydfeleii. The Landlady Fined. BOGUS TRAVELLERS. Before Dr R. C. Hunter, Aldejuian Richard Lewis, and Alderman W. H. Mathias, at the Pontypridd Police Court on Wednesday, Mrs Rachel Lewis, landlady of the New Inn, Rhydy- felen, was summoned for committing a breach of the Sunday Closing Act. Mr Walter Mor- gan, solicitor, Pontypridd, defended. P.C. -Griffiths stated tuat on Sunday, the 2nd October, he,' in company with P.C. Rees, waTched the New Inn from seven a.m. until 10.20 a.m. At 8.15 he saw the front door opened, and at 9.40 a man entered the house and left at 9.42! and "wiped his mouth when leaving." He also carried something bulky under his coat. A minute later, Henry Thomas, Treforest, went in, and left at 9.44, "wiping his mouth." At 9.55, two men, named Henry Bar- ber, Coedpenmaen, and Henry Harris, Ponty- pridd, entered the inn. Harris had a little boy with hinl, who stood outside whilst he was in the house. Both men left at 9.56, Harris "wip- ing his mouth." Shortly afterwards, Jenkin Jones and Evan Davies, both of Pontypridd, entered, and left two minutes later. The door was closed soon after this, and at ten o'clock a John Evans, Rhydyfelen, who lived three doors away, went in, and came out at 10.1. At this time a William Ellis, Pontypridd, obtained an entrance, followed a minute afterwards by an- other man. Both left at 10.11, at which hour Ben Harvey and David Evans, Treforest, went in, shortly afterwards followed by another man. At 10.14, Harvey, Evans, and three men wh)m witness did not identify, left "wiping their mouths." After 'hat two more msa, one nf them being William Healy, ^oiryi" wnt in, and at 10.1 T left vni wenf in the direction Pontypridd. Oaring this tine witness saw two or three men standing outside on the road, watching whilst the otlers were inside, one of them staying there all the morning. At 10.40 the officers left their hiding places and en- tered the inn, in the front room of which they saw a man named Fred Watts, with a pint measure containing beer before him. When asked where he had slept the previous night, ( lie said at Aberdare Junction on tie road. Wit- I 1\éM Examined the bar, and found two piht measures and some glasses, which had been used recently, and a quart measure which was full of beer, and appeared to have been recently drawn. There was also some fresh beer in a tin can under the taps, and there were signs of great traffic on the floor outside the bar. Witness told Mrs Lewis what he had seen dur- ing the morning, and asked her how she accoun- tei for all the traffic in the house. She replied that some of them told her they came from Cardiff, and some from Porth, and that she had their names in a book. On the production of the book, witness found the names of Fred Watts, Aberdare Junction (who was in the house then), and David Jones, Union street, Porth. On being told that she would be repor- ted Mrs Lewis made no reply. Mr Morgan said that Mrs Lewis satisfied her- self that the men came from a distance, and if they did not then they deceived her. When she had the slightest doubt about the men she re- fused to supply them wittT drink, and this ac- oounfe-d for some of them leaving the house in- side a minute. The man John Evans had never been in the New Inn in hfs life, and the police had probably made a mistake. He ridiculed the idea of the men standing outside to watch and said he had always noticed a group of men leaning against the railings at Rhydyfelen. "The beer in the quart was not for use, it was what had been standing in the pipes overnight. Mrs Lewis stated that Watts satisfied her that he came from Abercynon, and she then gave him some bread and cheese. She asked all the men where they came from, and if they satisfied her that they had come far enough she suplied them. Some of the men when asked refused to say from whence they came, and these she positively refused drink to. John Evans was not in her house that morning; in fact, he had never been in there. John Evans, tinworker, Rhydyfelen, said he "walked down the road in front of the New Inn as far as the bridge, and then returned to his house. Half an hour later he saw the police taking some names and addresses, and he was asked for his. He gave it, and they afterwards told him he had been in the New Inn. He had not been in the New Inn since it was kept by Mrs Lewis. The Bench was of opinion that the house had been very badly managed, and thought the defendant should record all the Barnes in a book. Shfe would be fined £ l and costs, and the case against John Evans would be dis- missed, as they thought he was not there. Benjamin Harvey, collier, Treforest, David Evans, labourer, Treforest, Henry Thomas, quarryman, Treforest; Henry Barber, mason, Coedpenmaen; Henry Harris, chainmaker, Poiffvpridd; Jenkin Jones, plasterer, Ponty- pridd; William Ellis, striker, Pontypridd, and William Healy, labourer, Pontypridd, were then charged with- being on licensed premises t during prohibited hours. Henry Thomas, Bar- ber, and Jenkin Jones did not appear, and the remainder, with the exception of Healy, who denied bêfng in the New Inn, pleaded guilty. Barber, Thomas, and Jones were each fined 10s and costs, and the others 5s and costs.

Poaching at Hopkinstown. -







Temperance Topics. + .