Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

3 articles on this Page


!A Birmingham Man Drowned…


A Birmingham Man Drowned in Conway Bay. The treacherous sandbanks in the Bay off the west side of Llandudno have proved fatal in yet another instance. On Saturday some visitors walking on the Great Orme noticed a man struggling in the rapidly-in-coming tide. Having reported the matter to the police, several officers went outat threeo clock on Whit-Sunday morning, at low tide, to search for the body. In this quest they failed, but they found a bicycle between two sandbanks. During the day this was identified bv George Goodwin as belonging to his cousin, Walter Booth Goodwin, who had apparently cycled out at low tide on Saturday to lay fishing- lines. The supposition is that before observing the rapidity of the in-coming tide he was sur- rounded and drowned. The deceased belonged to Birmingham, where he was in the employ of Messrs Norton and Co. as decorative painter, having left only a few months ago for Llandudno to take a responsible position with County-Coun- cillor R. Conway. He was also well known in the cycle trade at Birmingham. The deceased leaves a widow and two little children. The body was found about half-past six on Whit-Tuesday evening, by Owen Ellis, boatman, Conway, in a gully running seawards from the eastern or Llandudno channel of the Conway River, this channel becoming nearly dry at low- tide. Ellis, with the assistance of some Artillery Volunteers from the Ffrith Gerig camp near by, got the body out of the water just as it was about to be ag^in covered by the tide, and, a stretcher having been brought, an ambulance detachment under Sergeant-Major Jones (2nd L.V.A.) took the remains up to Deganwy, whence they were removed to Llandudno for the inquest. THE INQUEST. On Wednesday evening, at Llandudno, the inquest was held before Mr J. H. Bodvel-Roberts (Carnarvonshire Coroner). Elias Jones, boatman, said that he saw the deceased enter a deep gully, and in trying to get back to the shore the water seemed to take him off his feet. The deceased sank and rose to the surface twice and then disappeared. Owen Ellis, boatman, Conway, who found the body, was not in a fit state to give evidence, and was sent down by the Coroner. During a conversation which ensued, the witness Elias Jones said that the deceased must have known the dangers of the sandbanks, as he went there to fish very often. The bicycle he rode out on, was found embedded in the sand. The Jury found that the deceased was accid- entally drowned, being surrounded by the tide whilst fishing. Deep sympathy was expressed with the widow and two little ones, on behalf of whom it has been arranged to open a public subscription list at the Banks, they being left totally unprovided-for.