Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

4 articles on this Page


Special Sessions.

Inquest at the Denbigh Infirmary.


Inquest at the Denbigh Infirmary. THE LLYSFAEN ACCIDENT. On Thursday morning, January 9th, the De i- bighshire Coroner (Dr. J. R. Hughes) held an inquest, at the Denbigh Infirmary, on the body of William Williams, (quarryman, Llysfaen), whose death resulted from an accident he met-with on December 30th. William Williams, the deceased's father, a quarryman living at Erw Llewelyn, Llysfaen, identified the body. He did not see the accident. Elias Davies, quarryman, Ocean View, Old Colwyn, said that he was one of a gang of six who worked in the quarry. On the 30th December, he was with two other men and, about half past eleven, he saw one William Roberts moving the stone which fell on the deceased. The latter appeared to be watching the stone about five vardi from the spot where they expected it to fall. The witness saw him jump sharply to get out of the way, and, in so doing, he fell, and the stone fell upon him. The witness saw that the decease I was very much hurt, and made the necessarv arrangements 10 remove him. The witness and others adopted first-aid, and put him on the stretcher, and carried the deceased into the office. The stone weighed about a ton. It did not go over the body, the legs only having been crushed by it. The doctor was sent for as soon as possible, and Dr. Morris arrived soon after twelve o'clock. The deceased was taken to Denbigh Infirmary in a spring shandry, the distance being about seven- teen miles. Cross-examined by the Coroner, the witness said that the stone they were moving was about a yard from the shelf they were working. When the stone was loosened, it fell on the shelf and rolled on the deceased, who was lying down. The witness had been a quarryman for 30 years. but never saw a similar accident. They worked the quarry above the level of their feet, a.j worked the stone towards them. They have no fixed rules as to how the stone is thrown. Reply- ing to the Jury, the witness said that the rock was blasted when necessary. THE stone was loosened by blasting. William Roberts, 6, Colwyn Terrace, Old Colwyn, said that he was working with deceased on the day in question. The witness was shifting the stone, the deceased being at the time on the ground underneath. The stone rolled down, and he found William Williams under it. The witness had been a quarryman for 22 years, and had never seen a similar accident. There were n> fixed rules for moving the stones after the rock had been blasted. The blast would be about ten. feet above the level of the ground where they were working. The men worked on different beds at the same time. The stone would have to fall about ten feet, and would drop upon rock. Joseph Ashton, House Surgeon at the Denbigh Infirmary, said that the patient arrived there about seven o'clock, and was at once attended-to by him. He was placed in splints and was found to be in a fair condition after the journey. Th witness sent for the assistance of Dr. Lloyd Roberts, one of the honorary surgeons of the Institution. They found deceased suffering from compound comminated fracture of the left leg also, simple fracture of right thigh. There were no sign of other injuries. The witness did not look upon the case as being serious then. There was slight congestion of the lung on Tuesday morning and on the Wednesday morning, the patient changed for the worse. He thought that the cause of death was due to shock, with severe congestion of the lungs. Alexander Duncan, manager of the Llysfaen Quarries for the last 12 years, said that he con- sidered the deceased, who had been working in the quarries from boyhood, an intelligent and sober man. The men were working there in a regular way, moving the refuse of the blast on a higher ledge. The witness wished to express the proprietor's regret at the occurrence. The Coroner expressed his regret at having to call the jury so early, but the body had to be removed by train. He was sure that they all sympathised, as he did, with all concerned in the accident. The men had used every care in work- ing. They knew by the evidence that the deceased was fully alive to his danger, and fell in jumping aside. The man was perfectly sober at the tima. The men had evidently not transgressed any of the rules of the quarry. He had no doubt that the jury would agree with him that a proper verdict would be that of accidental death. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."

Conway and Llandudno County…