Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page



RIOTS IN FLINTSHIRE. The peaceable inhabitants of Holywell and the neigh- bourhood have been thrown into a state of alarm by certain violent and outrageous proceedings on the part of the miners employed in the Talergoch Mines. These men have been up in arms against their employers for the purpose of ob- taining a reduction of the hours of labour. The origin of the dispute, as far as we can collect particulars, is as follows Captain Francis, the agent of the Milwr Mining Com- pany, who resides at Halkin, upwards of twenty years ago introduced into the neighbourhood the system of working in the mines adopted in Cornwall, namely, the eight hours' system, which is the usual one throughout England, and pretty extensively also adopted in the prin- cipality. It seems that even under the eight hours' system, the miners only actually work about six hours a day, de- ducting the time allowed for taking their meals, so that the adoption of the six hours' system would really only give them about four hours' labour per diem. The Milwr Mining Company object to their men taking what are called "annual bargains," as it has been found too frequently that the materials employed by the men in working these bar- gains" consist of the timber, ropes, candles, powder, and other articles which they have obtained from the mines in which they are employed. The system therefore seeming obviously vicious, and one that offered the greatest tempta- tions to the men to commit frauds upon their employers. Captain Francis determined no men should be taken on by the Milwr Company but such as would sign a code of rules, the principal of which was that no miner should work in any other mines except those of the company, and the period of his labour should be eight hours per diem. These rules were agreed to by the men and their employers about five weeks ago, and the latter appearing satisfied with them, there seems no reason for believing that they would have attempted to abrogate them had it cl not been for the illegal interference of-the Halkin and Talergoch men. The Halkin and Talergoch miners being upon the six hours' system, resolved to enforce it on the Milwr Mining- Company and accordingly they held meetings, at which resolutions were passed by which it was resolved that the six hours' system should be generally adopted in the neigh- bourhood, or the adjoining mines should be prevented from working. The Talergoch men accordingly fixed on the 30th ult. for a general outbreak. On that day they left their work, assembled- to the number of 500 and more, and proceeded to the house of Captain Francis, the agent of the Milwr Company using the most outrageous gesticulations, and calling out that if they could find Captain Francis they would murder him. One of the rioters mli-iod a sack on his back, into which it was said Captain Francis was to be put for the purpose of burying him alive, and we understand that they really dug a hole ostensibly for this purpose. Captain Francis, however, having been made acquainted with the violence that was threatened him, left home in time to save himself from personal outrage. The rioters arrived at the house about eleven in the morning, and de- manded admission into it from his daughter, Miss Jane Francis, threatening that if the door was not opened they would break it down, and that four or five thousand men would shortly come to their help. They burst open the door and then the crowd rushed in, armed with sticks, bludgeons, and other offensive weapons, and called out for Mr. Francis to come out of his hiding-place. His daughter t) zn assured them her father was not at home, but they remained ransacking the house for nearly two hours. Several of them demanded liquor, and, as we are informed, drank a con- siderable quantity of wine and spirits, but others refused it, lest, as they said, it should have been purposely poisoned for them. Wiiile the rioters were in the house Mr. John Ligh- toller, a shareholder in the Milwr Mines, went towards the door and attempted to enter, but was rudely assaulted by the crowd, who got round him, and by threats of violence, induced him to write out and sign a paper that six hours was sufficient for the men to work. Mr. Lightoller at first refused, but signed it for fear that his life might possibly be taken, the rioters assuring him that, whether Capt. Francis signed it or not, they would kill him if they could catch him. Mr. Charles Lightoller, solicitor, also went towards the house during the proceedings, and, on being recognised by the men, one of them went towards him and said that the crowd having had a consultation had determined that he must go. Mr. Lightoller inquired where, and they told him to a place of confinement of course. One or two of them then attempted to make Mr. Lightoller a prisoner, who resisted manfully, but was severely beaten by the scoundrels with sticks and bludgeons, and ultimately dragged away from the house. The crowd then dispersed, but, as may be imagined, the utmost excitement continued to prevail in the neighbourhood, as the miners from time to time continued to assemble in large numbers, and their behaviour indicated an intention to do further mischief. Against such a mob the few officers of the district were, of course, comparatively useless. The officers certainly exerted themselves to the utmost to apprehend the most active of the rioters, but instead of the discontents becoming peaceful, they exhibited the greatest rancouf against their masters and nothing could restrain their violence. In this state of things an interview was held by several gentlemen with the Clerk of the Peace, at Mold. Informations were laid and warrants issued against those parties who were known to have taken a prominent part in the disturbances, and armed with the magistrates' authority, Police-constable Parry proceeded to Holywell, and from thence to Halkin, where, by a well concerted stratagem, he succeeded in ap- prehending two of the ringleaders, named William Jones and Ishmael Blackwell, whom he at once conveyed to the lock-up at Mold. The constable so managed as to keep the rioters ignorant of what he had done until he had got his prisoners beyond their reach, but the circumstances getting bruited about in a short time afterwards, the rioters assem- bled and started off to Mold in pursuit of their companions. The fellows, however, got discharged, as owing to the alarming and threatening attitude of the mob who assem- bled round the Court-house, no person dared to come for- ward to give evidence against them. In this dilemma, and there appearing no likelihood of all abatement of the dis- turbance, and the whole of the neighbourhood being in a state of general disorder, the magistrates, too, finding it im- possible to restrain the rioters from committing outrages, resolved on sending to Chester for the military. A mes- senger was accordingly dispatched, and on Monday evening a detachment of the 38th Foot arrived at Holywell, under the command of Captain Smith, but their services have not as yet been required, and it is evident that their presence exerts a most wholesome influence. Two other of the rioters were apprehended at the close of the week, and being brought before the magistrates were committed for trial. At the Flintshire Assizes on Friday week, true bills were found against William Lloyd, Morgan David, Ishmael Blackwell, Edward Jones, John Edwards, and Francis Downing, for riot and conspiracy. Lloyd and David, who were the only two in custody, pleaded, and were allowed to traverse till the next assizes, and bench warrants for the apprehension of the remainder of the defendants were moved for and obtained. Lloyd and Davies were admitted to bail. The neighbourhood is now comparatively quiet.


[No title]

[No title]