Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

23 articles on this Page



===-=.===-=====--=-=-=====-= ABElilUIiE. DEATH OF JOHN PUGH.—IMPORTANT TO LATTER- DAY SAINTS. On Saturday, the 19th inst., an inquest was held at the Black liioK Inn, Aberdare. before John Morgan, Esq., deputy-coroner, and a most respectable jury, to inquire into the death of John Pugh, who was a preacher with the Latter-day Saints, and whose friends had most obstinately refused medical assistance, after he met with a severe accident. George ltoper, sworn, said :—I am a collier at Werfa Colliery. Deceased John Pugh and myself worked together. We were in the pit on Tuesday, the 8th inst. I saw deceased at work before he was burnt, clearir,gaway some rubbish from the cropheading. The de- ceased was a married man, between twenty-eight and twenty-nine years of age. Mr. Mills, the agent, desired us to take up the tram- plates in heading No. 2, but at the same time solemnly cautioned us, as we valued our lives, not to enter there without a safety- lamp, as there was danger there from fire-damp. Each of us promised to obey his orders. While I was going for the safety- lamp, the deceased went to the heading with an open candle in his Land, and left it there, and returned. When I got up to him, an awful explosion took place from his candle. We were both severely burnt. I saw the deceased on the following Saturday. He Was sane when I went in, but got delirious before I left the house. He had no doctor attending him. He had refused to have one. There is a doctor belonging to the Werfa Colliery. The doctors do not come unless sent for. I saw the deceased once after- wards. Jim Pontypool was then attending him. I believe he cugh to have had a doctor to attend him. The doctor never re- fund to attend me, if I sent for him. Examined by the jury I did not know the deceased's motive by taking the candle to the heading after being charged to go there with a safety-lamp. I found an equal quantity of air in the level that day as on any other occasion, except in the heading which we were charged not to go to without a safety-lamp. I did not see a doctor with the deceased at any time when I went to see him. I know there is a regular doctor belonging to Werfa Colliery. Ellinor Pugh I am the widow of the deceased. He was 29 years of age. lie worked under ground about four years since we were married. We had no children. He was severely burnt oa last Tuesday week. It was I that put the oil on his wound lie Would not allow any one else. I was obliged to remain with him continually. James Jones (Ji.n Pontypool) dressed his burns daily with something brought from Mr. Price, druggist. I did not know what it was, for it was he that fetched it. John Ed- munds, jun., dressed his wounds also. John Edmunds, sen., pro- cured the stuff, and it was he that used to spread it on the rags. I gave money to John Edmunds, sen., to the amount of 4s. to buy U:e stuff; two shillings on Monday night, and two shillings on the night before my husband died. I asked John Edmunds, sen., if my husband was in danger. He told me there was no danger whatever, and that he would soon cure him. I asked my husband many times if I should send for a doctor. He refused to have a doctor upon any account. It was his own fault entirely not to have a (Ioctoi- to atLtftii] him. No doctor called at the house during his illness. John Edmunds did not object to have a doctor to attend him but said that he could cure him, unless there was something the matter with him that he did not understand. My husband was regularly dressed everyday. He died ut half-past four yesterday morning. Since John Edmunds took to his cure, we could not say that he was anything the better but rather weaker. He took his meals regular every day. Examined by the jury John Edmunds did not return the last two shillings I g:ive him. Doctor Evans was in the house the day my husband was burnt. My mother told me that she gave him a chair to sit down. I was in the house when Mr. Kvans offered his service. My husband sent back to say that he preferred having the ordinance of the Church of God administered upon him first, and if his faith would prove too weak to be cured, he then would Jnive no objection for Doctor Evans to come and attend him. My husband was severely burnt in the face, arms, and neck, and also on the side. The time he began to be delirious was on the Friday night after the accident. The time Dr. Evans sent in the messen- ger, my husband was quite sane-being the day he met with the accident, I saw Dr. Evans on the Wednesday following. He asked me if I was the wife of the man that was burnt. I said yes. I asked for some oil to anoint him with. He told me that I should not have it unless I would first of all kick all the Saints out of the house. I had no oil with Mr. Evans but I had with some other person, about three half pints, and my husband was anointed with a portion of it, but could not suffer any more of it. My husband objected to my going to the doctor for a plaster. Dr. Evans used no severity towards me more than to say, 11 You must first of all kick all the Saints out of the house." Mr. Sims is an elder in ottr Church. He administered the ordinance of the Church of God on my husband as soon as we came home after the accident. He brought with him a fla^k ot the blessed oil, which was a shil- ling's worth. He anointed my husband on the face, and then putting his hand on his head, prayed to the Lord Jetius Christ. If my husband's faith had been strong enough, he would have been cured instantly. I had three jugs of oil from the Werfa Colliery but he preferred having the yellow oil from Price, the druggist. The brethren brought in all eight flasks of the blessed oil to anoint my husband, Mr. Sims, the elder, blessed all the oil that c iine to the house. My husband had also some salts from Mr. Price's shop. J. R. Price, druggist, sworn John Edmunds, senior, came to my shop on Monday or Tuesday, for a compound for the deceased, a quarter of a pound of rosin, one pound of lard, a pennyworth of camphor, and a small quantity of beeswax. I believe that was all the ingredients he asked for. He paid me for them. I have not heard of this compound being used for burns before. I have not seen it at all used for a like purpose. John Edmunds told me that he applied it to many cases, and effected a cure. I gave them also some linseed oil and lime water mixed, and also a quantity of olive oil, amounting altogether to the value of two shillings and sixpence. Linseed oil and lime water are generally used for burns. John Edmunds, senior, swora I work under the Aberdare Iron Co. I look after the castings. I saw the deceased on Tuesday last for ;lie first time after he met with the accident. When I went into thn house he was resting on the arms of two of his friends. His wife and mother in-law asked me if I would undertake to cure him. I said I would not. The wounds did not work on Tuesday. I told them that I had no hope of his recovery, but I had no ob- jection to do anything for him as a neighbour. When 1 first saw the deceased r believe that he was delirious. I had of Mr. Price, the druggist, one pound of lard, six ounces of beeswax, half a pound of rosin, and a pennyworth of camphor. It was I that used to spread the ointment ou the rags and apply the same to the wounds, and they worked well. By the application of linseed oil and lime water the wounds ought to work in three or four days. The de- ceased would have a doctor to attend him on no account. His wounds worked very well after I took his case in my own hands. I did not see the deceased before the eighth day. If my own son was similar!) burnt, I would have certainly sent for a doctor. I cuitd my own son with the same compound as I supplied to the deceased when the doctors failed. I believe the deceased should LL;ve had medical attendance. James Jones (Jim Pontypool) was next called, who stated that he was a Saint, and according to their creed no one should send for a doctor, but rely on the ordinances of their Church for cures in all cases, Fnd had it not been for the weakness of John Pugh's faith he would have been cured immediately. Having made seve- ral other absurd and most contradictory statements, several of the jurors said they could not believe him on his oath. With this the deputy-coroner quite agreed, and he was dismissed without being sworn. William Sims was next called, who also stated that he was a Saint and an elder in the Church of Christ. On the day John Pugh met with the accident he was sent for. He went and anointed him with oil, and administered the ordinances of the Church of Christ. He was perfectly sure had John Pugh's faith bee-i good he would have cured him tnat instant. He tried him again several times, but the deceased's laith was too weak each time. He knew that I)'. Evans had offered his service to attend (he deceased, but that John Pugh wished to try the ordinances of the Cnurcli of Christ, aid if that failed then he would have a me- dical man. Though 1 failed to care him I did not advise the pro- priety or having a doctor. It is my duty us an elder to exhort our pet p e to trust to the ordinances of the Church for cures in ail caao.5, and not to medical men. Still we would not exclllde any one from having a doto.. He knew that the deceased was deli- rious for several days before he died, still he took no i.ep, to have a proper medical man to see him. 1 d I most solemnly declare that if all the flesh was burnt off my hand this moment that my blessing would cure it in an instant. I have cured myself maay times. I have cured my wife fr I v, and I have performed in- stantaneous cures on my children by my blessing oi)IN- atiti had John -Pugh's faith been good I would have cured him Lke putting one hand in the other. David Evans, Esq., surgeon, sworn: I called to see the de- ceased on last Tuesday week. I called u nnvited, in Consequence of bearing of his being-burnt at Werfa Colliery. Dr. Roberts and iii) self attended there, I went to examine the wouads of the de- eded. He in ide no ohjeciio.i to my examining him. I asked for a blanket t > cover his feet, for he wa.1 very cold. I otkcrverl that his heed and arms were severely injured, and also the upper part of. the chest. His mind \1\" perfectly collected. lie asked me the, e of his shivering, and I explained to him. William -r- Sims, the elder of his Church, was present. I sent a collier in to ask if I should attend him, and the answer was no, and that he would rely on the ordinances of his Church for a cure. He did not tell me by the messenger I sent in that I should attend him if the ordinances of his Church failed. I have found in my profes- sional experience that the Latter-day Saints will not allow medi- cal attendance. I would not have gone from the house if I knew that he was one of the party called Latter-day Saints. He was severely burnt. I have not seen him since, neither was I asked by any of his party to come and see him. I believe that the de- ceased might have recovered if ordinary means were applied to his wounds. The application of linseed oil and lime water is the ordinary means adopted. I might have used olive oil, it is quite immaterial. I have seen burns beginning to work in about forty- eight hours, and in some cases I have seen them as long as five or six days before they would begin to work. The longer the wounds are before beginning to work, the greater the inflammation or fever is. If I had attended the deceased I would not have kept him in oil more than forty-eight hours. I consider that a compound of lard, beeswax, rosin, and camphor is useful in some cases, where there is not much fever, but it is not desirable in a bad case. When I attend to burns I frequently put other parties to dress the wounds according to my directions. There is no great danger in dressing; the danger lies in the fever, and the extent of the injury. I have used external as well as internal remedies. I think salt could not have been injurious. I consider that the de- ceased should have bad medical attendance. The deputy-coroner then summed up. After a few general observations on the case he requested the jury to consider their verdict. The jury returned the following verdict We find that the deceased John Pugh died from the effects of an accident caused by an explosion of fire-damp at Werfa Colliery May Sth, and the culpable neglect of his attendants, who were members of a certain society called the Latter-day Saints, in lefusing to permit a medi- cal gentleman to attend to his case. The jurors beg in the strong- est language to censure the conduct of these deluded people, and caution them not to repeat their foolish practices in future," The verdict was read in open court by the deputy-coroner, who advised the Saints, and said that the jury had been exceedingly lenient, and that the verdict was a very merciful one. He fully expected to have had to commit several of them for manslaughter, but as it was they had a most narrow escape this time, and he trusted that the serious caution of the jury would have due weight with them. Had they not put the fault upon the poor man now dead, nothing could have prevented them from being sent to an- other tribunal. The proceedings lasted for nine hours. GLAMORGANSHIRE ANNUAL ASSOCIATION OF INDEPENDENT MINISTERS.—The annual meetings connected with the associa- tion of Independent ministers in the county of Glamorgan, were held at Salem chapel, Aberdare, on Wednesday and Thursday last. There were about forty ministers present. In the morning of Wednesday, at eleven o'clock, a conference was held, when the Rev. P. Griffiths, of Alltwen, presided. There were two or three subjects touched upon in the course of the morning, of such a character, and treated in such a spirit, as betokened a healthy state of feeling among the independent ministers in this country, in reference to important public questions. One was the decided and unanimous expression of sympathy withitlie principles and objects of the Anti-State Church Association. Another question, endowments, was incidentally brought up in connexion with a chapel whose case was brought before the conference, in connexion with which a liberal endowment existed. Several ministers spoke strongly of the evil tendency of endowments, and the desirableness of removing them whenever practicable, in which sentiment nearly all present seemed to coincide. A proposition was also submitted on behalf of the principality, with a view of bringing it within the reah of all ministers. Considerable interes appeared to be felt in the papers, and a unanimous vote of ap- probation was passed in its favour. In the afternoon another conference was held at Ebenezer (Rev. W. Edwards) chapel, when several private matters were discussed. Sermons were preached on the occasion on Wednesday afternoon and evening, and during the whole of Thursday.



€rak null Cummm'r.








[No title]











Family Notices