Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

6 articles on this Page


Notes and Comments. .1,",11.


.A Penarth Tradesman's Law.

-., Suicide at PeDarth.


Suicide at PeDarth. On Tuesday morning intelligence reached the police through J'ohn Jenkins, a boatman, that a woman was lying dead on the beach between the Boat House and the Seven Sisters, she having apparemly fallen over the cliffs. P.O. Thomas Parker went to the spot, and afterwards sent for Dr Rees, who found that life was extinct, the skull be terribly fractured. It was found that deceased was a visitor to Penarth from Teign- mouth, named Sarah Kelland, and had been staying, with her niece, Miss Alice Denley, 7, Albert-road. An inquest was held at the Penarth Police Station on Wednesday morning, before Mr E. B. Reece. Mr Bernard Staples Clarke being foreman of the jury. Miss Alice Denley said I know the deceased. Sarah Kelland- She was my aunt. She was I think* about 60 years of age, and unmarried. She'lived at Teignmoutb- She had been at Penarth nearly a fort- night, and was staying with me. She has not been, in very good health of late. No doctor has seen her since she has been in Penarth. She has been i. rather low spirits, but I do not know of any trouble she has had to cause it. I last saw her alive" on Mon- day night about a quarter to 11. She slept that night with me. When I awoke on Tuesday morning she was not in the bedroom. I awoke abcut quarter-past seven. She had dressed herself and gone out. I made inquiries for her of my sister, who lives in the house with me. I was the first down, and I told my sister I could not find her. I went to look for her. I heard about 10.30 that her body was found. She had not to my knowledge ever threatened to do herself any injury or commit suicide. I was on good terms with her the night before. She was in the habit of gatting up early, but she had not gone out before of a morning only in the garden. She had been under a doctor's care at Teignmouth for influenza, which had kept her low. She was with me for a change of air. Richard Burch Denley said: I am brother to last witness, and live at Teignmoutb. I am a postman. Deceased had a bad attack of influenza very recently, and has since been in a very low state. She lived in service at Teignmouth. I never spoke to her doctor about her state. I saw her the night before she left to come to my sister. She then seemed in very low spirits. She was going for a change at the doctor's orders. I came over here after hearing of her death. John Jenkins. boatman, said I live at Penartb. I found the body at a quarter-past eight on Tuesday morning when I was out in my boat. It was between the Seven Sisters and the Boat House. I saw some- thing lying on the beach at the foot of the cliff. I went on shore, and found it was the deceased woman. There was a lot of blood about; her face was covered with blood, but I could not see then whether her head was hurt much. I did not touch the body, but came and gave information to the police. P.C. Thomas Parker said I went to the place and' removed he body. It was quite warm, and lying on the left side. There were several cuts about the head, and the face was also bruised. I removed the body to her niece's house. Dr Rees saw it at the foot of the cliff. I afterwards examined the cliff at the top, and found she must have got over a wooden fence about 3t feet high. Inside the fence the grass is very high. There is about six feet of ground be- tween the fence and the edge of the cliff. At the edge of the cliff the grass was bent down as though some one had been trampling about there. There were no flowers about there. I could see m irks do jm the cliffs where she had fallen. By a Juryman If she bad got through the fence wbere it is broken down she could not have walked to the place where she fell over. There was a cord loose ] oOlnd her neck, which Dr Rees removed. The cliffs are about 60 feet high at this point. Dr Rees said I tvent to the place where the body was lying. Death was undoubtedly due to fracture of the skull. The string was wound round the neck about five or six times. It was sufficiently tight to leave a little mark, although I could get my Unger in. Sometimes influenza leaves very great depression, The Coroner, in summing up, srid that it was for the jury to consider whether deceased had committed suicide by throwing herself over the cliffs, and if they thought this was the case, what was the .state of" her mind at the time. There was a possibility that she got over the fence for some other purpt>sh arid slipped in the grass, but the cord being tied round t .e neck was slightly suspicious. The jury, after a minute's deliberation, found the verdict tlaht deceased committed suicide wlnicst tem- porarily insane..

'"Aç;:c<,...;¡¡.j01-. Llandaff…