Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page

Alleged Burglary at Barry.…

[No title]



SUPPOSED INFANTICIDE AT I COGAN. DISCOVERY OF A NEWLY-BORN INFANT. MEDICAL TESTIMONY AFFIRMS IT HAD A SEPARATE EXISTENCE. THE INQUEST; STRANGLED BEFORE A DAY OLD. :■ MARKS OF CONSTRICTION ON THE CHILD'S NECK. ■ VERDICT -OF WILFUL MURDER, AGAINST I 1 SOME PERSON OR PERSONS UNKNOWN." On Thursday afternoon, about 3.30, P.O. Robert Berry discovered the body of a newly-born child be- tween the Highland Lodge, near to the old Police Station, and the Merry Harriers. The constable re- moved the body to the Penarth Police Station, where Dr Rees held a post rnortem examination, and subse- quently declared that the child, which was a fully developed male one, bad had a separate existence. In the course of an interview with P.C. Berry, our cor- respondent elicited that the body could only have just been deposited in the wood, as the outer wrapping, which was brown paper and secured with pins, was quite new; the inner covering was of coarse canvas, The officer also mentioned seeing discolouration marks on the shoulder and head of the dead body. On Friday afternoon the Coroner, Mr E, B. Reeee, held an inquiry. Mr B. S. Clarke was appointed foreman. P.C. Berry was first examined, and stated that he was stationed at Llandough. He found the body at 3.30 p m. in a garden about 200 yards from Lis, the constable's, residence. The garden was situated be- tween the Dynas Powis highway and the Barry rail- way The parcel containing the body could easily have been thrown over the edge by any one walking along the road There was neither writing mark nor printing on the paper or canvas in which the body was wrapped. Dr. Rees deposed to making a post mortem ex- amination on Thursday night. It was a recentlys born and fully developed male child of ordinary size. The umbilical cord had been cut by some sharp instrument, but had not been tied. In answer to the Coroner as to what external marks were on the body, the Doctor stated he observed marks of constriction on the neck, as though a cord had been tied round it, the mark being very plain on the right side. The right shoulder was also bruised. He opened the body, and found the organs were per fectly healthy. The usual tests were applied to the lungs which floated in water. There was no doubt the child had breathed, and had been undoubtedly suffocated. It was quite fresh, and could have only died within twenty-four hours of his seeing the i body. J In answer to Jar Morris, a juryman, the Dr said death could have ensued through hemorrhage or exposure; but there was no doubt in his mind that the child was suffocated, as exemplified by the marks on the body. The coroner, in summing up, said it was a very serious case, and it was perfectly clear the child had been murdered. The jury returned a verdict of wilful murder agaiust some person or persons unknown.

Dead in his Bunk.