THE VICTORIA IF1 VERSITY OF MANCHESTER. | FACULTY OF MEDICINE. I The WINTER SESSION, 1906-7, will commence on TUESDAY, October 2nd. Complete Courses of Instruction are offered to Students (Men and Women) preparing for Degrees in Medicine and Surgery, and in Science, for Degrees and Diplomas in Dentistry, for the Qualifications of Conjoint Board and other Licensing Bodies, and for Public Health and Pharmaceutical Diplomas. The University contains spacious and well-equipped Laboratories in all departments of Medicine and Science. For Women Students a separate Laboratory for Practical Anatomy and Special Common Rooms are provided. TWO ENTRANCE MEDICAL SCHOLAR- SHIPS, each of the value of £ 100, are offered annually for proficiency in Arts and Science Subjects respectively. There are also a large number of Entrance Scholarships tenable in the Faculty of Medicine. Prospectuses, containing full information as to Fees, Scholarships, Halls of Residence for Men and Women, can be obtained from the Registrar. ST. CLEARS MARKET COMPANY, LTD TENDERS are invited for the CONSTRUCTION JL OF A NEW MARKET at St. Clears. The Plan and Specification may be inspected on and after Tuesday next, the 14th inst., on application to the Architect, Mr. E. Morgan, Pendine, or to Mr. T. Griffiths, The Manse, St. Clears (Secretary to the Company). Tenders to be sent to the undersigned on or before the 28th inst. The lowest or any Tender not necessarily accepted. W. BEYNON, Chairman of the Company. St. Clears 7th August, 1906. FOR SALE BY PRIVATE TREATY, ALL that Rich Pasture MEADOW, and adjoining Piece of Land, commonly called Morfa Helyg, adjoining the river Towy, and adjoining the Tin Mills Carmarthen, now in the occupation of D. Phillips, Esq., Pibwrlwyd, Carmarthen For particulars apply. T. ft. DA VIES, Surveyor's Office, Whitland. July, 1906. TO ADVERTISERS. PREPAID SCALE OF CHARGES FOR ADVERTISING IN THE "REPORTERS No. of One Three Six Words. Insertion. Insertions. Insertions. s d s d s d 20 1 0 2 3 3 (j 28 ] (í 3 Ci 4 36 2 0 4 0 56 44 2 6 4 G 6 6 The above saale only applies to the "Situations," To Lets," and To be Sold by Private Treaty" classes of Advertisements, and must be paid for in advance, or the ordinary credit rate will be charged. HALFPENNY STAMPS, or Postal or Post Office Orders, payable to M. LAWRENCE, at Carmarthen. Replies may be made addressed to the Reporter Office, and will be forwarded to advertisers when stamped envelopes are sent. TO LET, the SWAN INN, Nott Square, Carmar- then 3 minutes' walk from Town Station fully licensed; eai ly possession. -Apply, Buckley's Brewery, Ltd., Carmarthen. CYCL6, Bargain, Marvellous sacrifice. Gents New Cycle, not used a dozen times, highest S'ade, best Pneumatic Tyres and Tubes. Two Rim rakes, Inverted Levers. Latest 1906 machine, beautifully plated and enamelled, also gold lined, Plated rims with enamelled centres, ball bearing free wheel. Mud-guards. Magnificent machine. Cash urgently wanted, £4 10s, Od., complete, with all accessories, Lamp, Bag, Bell, etc, Approval before cash sent.—M House, Elton, Ashcombe Park Road, Weston-S''per Mare. FOR SALE, Freehold Detached Villa two sitting rooms, tivo kitchens, three bedrooms, garden back and front, close to station, in good repair, water oa premises back entrance.—Wilding, Haupton Villa, Abergwilly. ARETAKER WANTED.-House free in V</ exchange for services. -Apply, Mr Prosser Davies, Arcanum Pharmacy, Carmarthen. WANTED for North Ficchley, London, good GENERAL SERVANT. Two in Family, Welsh preferred. Good wages and Railway fare paid.—Apply, Fincbley," Reporter Office, Carmar then. LOST OR STRAYED, a SHEEP-DOG a dark brindled Bitch, with bushy hair and fox head. —Reward to anyone returning same to Mr. William Griffiths, Butcher, Carmarthen. FOR SALE, a GROCER'S BRASS SCALE by Parnell & Son, as good as new also a 4-Wheel PERAMBULATOR, in good condition, to carry two. Will be sold Cheap.—Apply to Jones, Fruiterers, &c., Carmarthen House, Carmarthen.
SALE.-As will be seen by an advertisement in this column, Morfa Helyg, part of Mr Yelverton's Carmarthen property is in the market. Mr T. R. Davies, of Whitland, dis- charges the duties of agent, formerly carried on by Mr Rees Davies, his father. CARMARTHENSHIRE INFIRMARY.—The Secre- tary begs respectfully to acknowledge the receipt of the following: Periodicals, Mr R. Junes, Bridge street; Miss iTloyd, .12, The Avenue; Mists Latimer Jones, The T arade, Miss Howe, High School; Miss BU^IKS, Ty hawddgar; Miss Davies, Lewis Bl ldings, Johnstown; Lady Hills Johnes; flowers, Mrs PhiUtppa, Bolahaul; Mrs Mills, Abergwili; and Mr Lewis, Priory street. "FLEMISH ARCHITECTURE AT CARMARTHEN. —In "Who Are the Welsh?' 'by Mr James Bonwiick, F.R.G.S., occurs this passage "The huge chimneys fronting the streets and even now obstructing the pathway are thoroughly Flemish. Such may be seen not only in Gower and Pembroke, but even in the town of Carmarthen, especially in two old ;nns. Kidwelly has the same illustiatioii." fhe Red Cow and the Plough are evidently the two old inns referred to. In Kidwelly, there is now a cottage with two chimneys as big as the rest of the house. CARMARTHEN AUGUST FAIR.—Numerous attractions for the pleasure seeker will be in attendance at this fair on August 11th-14th. Messrs Henry Studt and Sons, with their new zoological roundabouts, and orchestrophone, will be present; together with Haggar's electric Bioscope; shooting saloons, etc., etc. We would direct our readers attention to our (advertising columns for further particulars. MUSICAL APPOINTMENTS.—Dr McLelland, organist of Christ Church, has been ap- pointed organist of Kilkenny Cathedral. The news of Dr MoLelland's impending departure will be received with general regret at Car- marthen. On Sunday, Mr Malkin, the iieii-lv-iappointed organist, visited St. Peters, Chuirch, and gave an organ recital after t;he evening service. The recital made an ex- cellent impression on the hearers, who formed a very higli idea of (Mr Malik in's abilities as a musician. He begins his duties on the 26th «nS*- T £ DEATH.—The death of Mm Ann Jones, wife of Mr Francis C. Jones 16, Hamilton-street, Liandiore, took place on Tuesday morning last. Deceased was the daughter of the late Mr and Mrs William Davies, joiner, Tanerdy, Carmarthen, and sister to Mr Henry Davies, confectioner, St. Peter's-street, Carmarthen. Ati-N Jones, who had been in failing health for some time, had been sojourning at Builth Wells for a, short time, and only returned to heir home on Saturday last. The change, however, did not improve her health, and rihe paisised anvjay as stated, the cause being an internal complaint. She was of a kind and affable disposition, and was beloved by all who ctaime in contact with her, and every good cause found in her a willing helper. She leaves a husband and four children, with whom deep sympathy is felt. CRICY.E,T.-Ca,iirn,airtlieti were beaten by Llan dilo for the second tiime this season last 'l.jnrsday. This is a reversal of last year's results, mid apparently until the town players realize there is a serious side to cricket and endeavour to exert themselves, more than they do at present further disasters will follow. Batting first, the visitors totalled 67, S. H. Lodkyer playing good cricket for 32. Sharp, who bowled erratically, get 6 wickets for 25 runs. The town players seemed beaten before they go to the wickets, and the fact of (having to face a professional bowler com- pleletly routed them, as although D. W. Jones got 7 and IVIaicdonald 4 not out, the j.Q only reached 18.
Local Weddings. [ JONES-THOIAS. On Tuesday morning a marriage was oole- brated at Zion Presibyteriaai Church, Car- marthen between the Rev Richard Jones, B.A., pastor of the Presbyterian Churoh, City road, Chester, and Miss Alice Violet Thomas, B.A., youngest daughter of Mr T. Thomas, J.P., Disgwylfa. The officiating ministers were the Rev Thomas Rees, D.D., Cefn, agisted by the Rev R. Kenneth Evans, M.A., Mansfield College, Oxford. The bride, who was given away by her father, was dressed in white silk eolienne with veil and orange blossoms, iand wore a white pearl pendant, the gift of the bridegroom. She also carried a shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom. The bridesmaid was Miss Isobel Thomas (sister of the bride), who was dressed in a mauve silk eolienne, with hat to match, and carried a shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom. She also carried a gold bangle, presented by the bridegroom. The church had been beautifully decorated for the occa- sion by the members. The "Wedding March" was played by Mrs Maurice Jones. A -ecep- tion was afterwards held at Disgwylfa, and Mr and Mrs Richard Jones left by the 1.40 p.m. train for Aberystwith and North Wales. The brides travelling dress was of pale blue cloth with hat to match.
LIST OF PRESENTS. Bride's Father, riaiio, gold chain and pen- dant, and cheque. Bride's Mother, Furniture, household linen Silver teapot, etc. Mr and Mrs George Dean, Case of fish knivesi and forks iand servers, and fancywork. Dr and Mrs Henry Campbell, Cheque. The Misses Campbell, Oil paintings, and des-scrt d'oyleys. Mr George Thomas. Cheque. Miss Isobel Thomas, Cheque and fancy- WOVL". Miss Trcmain, Aberystwith, Worked tea- cloths and tray cloths. Miss Lena Jones, B.A.- U.C.W., Picture aad fancy work. Rachel (Disgwylfa), Saucepan and steamer, tea service, and old Willow pattern porringer Mrs Dean (Middlesboio'), China and silver tray. Mr and Mrs Maurice Jones, Silver hob- water jug. -.11 ss Olive Jones, Picture. .,In" Mansel Lewis, Worcester china. orna- ment. Mr R. E. Jones, North and South Wales Bank, Solid Silver flower holders. Dr and Mrs Robinson, Cardiff, Irish kee berthe. Mrs Denning. Portishead, Silver serviette rings. Mr and Mrs Jones, Emlyn Cottage, Ctuse of knife rests. Dr and Mrs E. A. Williams, china fruit dish. Miss Harris, Portishead, Silver asparagus servers. Miss, E. T. Kelly, B.A., Fmined photograph Mr and Mrs Wm. Evans, London, Jewel case. Mrs Thomas, Llecthfaen, Copper tea kettle. Mr land Mfrs Wm. Daviess, Silver butter knife. Miss Griffiths, Pontardawe, Pewter sugar basin and cream jug on tray, and cushion, Mrs D. H. Thomas, Solid Silver Ding stand. Rev Wm. Evans, Pembroke Dock, Cheque. Mrs James, Waundew, Silver and china jam dish. • Murphy," Cardiff, Silver cake casket, etc. "Susan" and "Annie," Cardiff, Pickle jar and cake dish. Miss Fa:nny Davies, Barry, Picture, flower holders, and cosy. Mrs Thomas, Bronhaul, Set of jugs and coffee pot. Mrs and Miss Jones, Quay street, Silver toast rack. Rev and Mrs M. H. Jones, Pewter flower vases. Mrs Yowerths Thomas, Bridgend, Break- fast cruet. Miss Howells, U.C.W., Lace collar. Mrs D. R. Price, Silver souvenir spoon. Mrs T. E. Ellis, Picture. The Mayor and Mayoress of Oarmarthen, Pair of silver candlesticks. Miss Mathews, Bognor, Book. Miss Banbury, U.C.W., Tyrian lace. Mrs Howard Stephens, Traycloth. Mr and Mrs Palmer, Cake knife. "• Mrs iVTKfls, Brecon, Sitver milk Jag." Miss Mary Evans, U.C.W., Royial Worces- ter china ornament. Mrs Aitken, Chester, Iced cake. Mr and LAIrs Erskine, Silver egg stand. Missies P. and J. Jones, U.C.W., Royal Worcester afternoon tea service. Miss Holme, M.A., Carmarthen, Pair of silver fern pots. Mr and Mrs Wheldon, N.P. Bank, Silver luncheon dish and servers. Miss Wheldon, Glass and silver vaea and taible centre. Miss Margaret Campbell, Pewter and glass celery stand. Mrs Hughes, Carnarvon, Cushion. Mrs and Miss Davies, Cwrtmawr, Olld Chelsea ornament. Mrs Lewis, Penllwyn Park, Silver mounted scent, bottle. Mr and Mrs Lickley, Large palm. Miss Snoddy, B.A., U.C.W., Silver sugar cream basin and sifter. Miss Taffs, B.A., U.C.W., Liberty table- cloths. Mr James, Lummas street, Evening shoes. Mrs Davies, Flower pot. Mr and Mrs Colby Evans, Goss china tea service (Arms of Wales). lhe O.R. Staff, Carmarthen, Oak and s,ilvpr salad bowl 'and servers. Mr James Williams, Solid silver butter dish and knife in case. Miss Gladys Davies, U.C.W., White satin table centre, worked violet. Mrs Jones, late Abergoriech, Silver shoe lift. Mrs James, Llandilo, Silver bread fork. Mr and Mrs Ciossman, Cheque. Dr Gallaher, Cardiff, Silver mounted flower horns. Miss Hague, B.Sc., U.C.W., Fancy case. Mr and Mrs Roberts, Parade, Embroidered linen bedspread. Miss Alice Roberts, Fancy work. Miss Olive Roberts, U.C.W., China bowl and ornament. Miss Coates, B.A., U.C.W., Silver jam spoon. Misses Griffiths, Bryntirion, Royal Worces- ter ornament. Mrs Davies, Brynderw, Silver fern pot. Mr and Mrs Chapman, Biscuit box, Mrs Jones-Davies, Glyneiddan, Teacloths. Mr and Mrs Richards, Pantyrathro, Salad bowl and servers. Mrs Daniels, Waundew, Set of jugs. The O.R. Office. Staff, Swansea, Case of solid silver teaspoons and sugar tongs. Mr and Mrs Rees, Swansea, Solid silver butter dish and knife in case. Miss Florence Morris, B.Sc U C W Picture. "> Miss Emma Davies, Cheese scoop Miss Howe, Silver button hook. Mrs Carson, Cheese dish. Mr and Mrs D. H. Thomas, Starling Pnrfc Silver fruit dish. ° Mrs Jonah Davies, Silver butter dish. I Mr and Mrs Matthias, M.ilJ:bllJ1}¡, Framed needlework. Mrs Ben Davies Travelling clock. A Wellwisher, Silver photo frame. Mioses Cule, Dugard, Owen, and Wall, U.C.W., Picture. Miss Gladhill, V.A., U.C.W., Goes china cup and saucer. Mr and Mrs Llewelyn, Silver mounted scent bottle. Mrs Bowen, Llechfaen, Plant pot. Mrs Watkins, The Bank, Maesteg, Silver photo frame. Nurse Louie Carrie, Silver muffineer. Miss Mary Phillips, Peqllwyn Bark, Silver photo frame. Miss Bowman, U.C.W., Fancy work. Mr and Mrs Rogers, Nantyca, Large china dish. Mrs Edwin Williams, Aberystwith, Cake 1\ knife. Rev and Mrs Edwards-Morgan, Rieca, Books. Mrs Rees, Mansel street, Silver hot water jug. Master W. T. Davies, 1, Penylan road, Doulton luncheon tray. Mrs and Mrs Townsend Edwards, Brqss inkstand. Misses Brotokie, Oake knife. Mr Morgan, Llancaly, Pair of photograph holders. Mrs Morgan, Llanellly, Pair of sugar tongs. Misses Morgan, Llanelly, Pair china flower holders. Mrs Mary Jones, Teapot.. A Friend, Old Lustre jug, basket, and tea- Pot' Dr and Mrs Collins Lewie, Denbighj Silver sugar basket, Miss Muriel Thomas, Derry, Point lace table centre. Miss Mary Mitchell, B.A., U.C.W., Silver tea spoons. Rev and Mrs J. A. Howell, The Vicarage, G'umfreston, Tenby, Oak and silver inkstand. Mrs James, and the Sick Ward, Penylan- road, Bouquet. BRIDEGROOM'S PRESENTS. Mr and Mrs Davies, Chester, Carvers in case. Professor and Mrs Tom Jones, Glasgow, Study chair. Mrs Owen, Wisfcon, Cheque. Mr R. Kenneth Evans, M.A., Oxford, Picture. I Dr and Mrs Welsh, Chester, Silver des&ert dish. Rev and Mrs Williams, Towyn, Books. Messrs Alfred and Ernest Jones, Cabinet of plate and cutlery. Mother of Bridegroom, Furniture. Misses Jones, Silver mounted 'nay. Dr and Mrs Llewelyn Jones, Cheque. Dr and Mrs Jones, Pontypool, Silver fruit dish. Dr Rees, Cefn, Book. Mr Cecil Owen, Chester, Toilet brushes. Misses Jones, Rhymney, Irish linen pillow oases. Miss Jessie Williams, Merthyr, Silver egg stand. Rev H. D. Beynon, London, Silver-moun- ted clock. Mr and Mrs Evans, The Avenue, Carmar- then, Silver and china sailad bowl. then, Silver and china sailad bowl. The Masters and Misses Williams, Chester, Silver cake basket. Misses Thomas, Wiston, Pictures. Miss Edith Morgan, Cwmpark, Silver I mounted horns. Miss Mary Broad, Chester, Cake dish. Mrs Milne, Chester, Case of carvers. Mast-or,and the Misses Milne, Views of Chester. x^iss Bessie Watkins, Flower stand. Mrs, E. T. Jones, Chester, Silver dessert knives and forks in case. Mrs M. Jones, Chester, Books. Mr and Mrs Welsh, Chester, Two water oolours. Mr and Mrs R. J. Davies, Silk Eiderdown quilt. Mr E. B. Jones, Chester, Oak coal cabinet. Mr Robert J. Wiiliams, Chester, Carved oak book rack. Mr G. E. and the Misses Roberts, One doz. silver tea knives in case. Rev Powell Morris, Penybont, Silver ink- stand. Mr W. H. Evans, Chester, Case of pipes. The Misses and Mr E. Davies, 16, Eaton- road, Pair silver candlesticks. Rev B. Scott-Williams, Roesett, Picture, Mr Gurnall C. Williams, St. Helena, Pic- ture. Mr and Mrs Miles Aberdare, Case of dessert knives and forks. Miss Hannah Owens, Chester, Solid silver tea service in case. City Road Presbyterian Church, Chester, .Cheque, and dining room clock with inscrip- tion. Master Gordon McClellan, Picture.
Wedding of Misg Prioe, Glaudolais. A pvetty wedding, quiet on account of family bereavetnipnt, was solemnised at the Parish Churoh, Cilybebyll, Swansea Valjey, on August 1st. The contracting pa<i*ti«s were Captain Thomas Jones, Gowan Bank, Llan- ddewi-Abenairtli (late vomunander in the Fur- ness Line, hut /eoently promoted resident superintendent to the same firm a.t the port orBaltimCire, U.S.A.). and Miss Edith price, daughter of the late Mi- aaid Mrs Evan Price, Morfa Mawr, Cardiganshire, and Glpndulais, Carmarthenshire.. The bride was given awmy by her 1 wether, Mr Evan Jaimes Price, Cardi- ganshire. The best man was Mr Evan D. Jenkins, 2, Buckingham-road, London, N. The wedding ceremony was performed by the bride's brother-inlaw, Rev M. DalVi-}lJv.ans. the rector, assisted by the Hv n. R. Will. liams curate. M'isg yieitnide Lloyd, Plas Cilybebyll, predicted at the organ, and played the "Wedding Ma,neb.' After the cererw-,tty a. reception Was given at the Revtory by Mrs Rvans-Davies, at which iiiJ»ny friends and members of th £ family w^je present. The bride was artistically dressed in a dross øf pale mauve, with a hat to inatc^, and carried a cvhoiice bouquet of white tkwers. The pre- sents were ivur«i?rons. During the afternoon the Jiappy eouple left for Neath en route for Cardiff, where the honeymoon will be &pent.
ARRIVALS.—The s.s. Merthyr arrived on Wednesday morning with a cargo of maise from Avonmouth for Mr J. B. Arthur, mer- chant, Carmarthen. 1ST V.B. WPTSW REGIMENT.—Orders for the week ending Saturday, t'he 18th August, 1906. Officers on duty, Lieut. J. Francis. CoainpHiiy ordv.I: ergt. W. Morris and Corpl. J. Evans, r rly buglers, Bugler A. Duekfietd. Parades, etc.: Company train- ing on Monday and Wednesday, at 8 p.m., I dress, plain clothes; Clas*. firiui on Satur- day, from 2 p.m. Recruits' drill every week evening (except Tuesday and Saturday), at 7.30 p.m. Club shoot on Thursday, com- mencing at 2 p.m. ",p. Company Annual Rifle Meeting: A meeting of those interested will be held at the Armoury after drill on Monday, evening to fix the date of and make arrangements for the Company annual prize meetng.-Dy order, JAMES JOHN, Captain Commanding Detachment..
TREHARNE-HUGHES. On Wednesday, August 8th, at the English Baptist Church, a wedding was solemnised between Gilbert, only son o-f Mr D. Treharne, of Souithcnoft, Eaton Grove, Swansea, and Taibitha, younger daughter of Mr William Hughes, Gwynfa, Carmarthen. The bride, who was given away by her father, was taste- fully attired in cream silk eolinne over glace silk trimmed with lace and chiffon streamers, and wore a valencdennes lace hat trimmed with pink carnations. She also carried a shower bouquet, the gift of the bridegroom. Miss May Treharne, sister of the bridegroom, Aviho acted as bridesmaid, was prettily dressed in cream silk poplin trimmed with lace and insertion and wore a lace hat trimmed with forget-me-not, and carried a shower bouquet the gift of the bridegroom. The bridegroom was accompanied by Mr Harry Nott, of Swansea, who acted as best man. The offi- cia,ting minister was the Rev Jacob Samuel, B.A., of Olney, Bucks., the brother-in-law of the bride. Mr C. Wilford acted as organist. After the wedding (Luncheon had been par- taken" of at the bride's home, the 'happy couple left by the 1.30 p.m. train for Tenby, en route for Ireland. The bride's travelling drees was in blue cloth, trimmed with French 61 8"m ftØd-l,l4.i¡iftS) hat trimmed with ribbon and roses. The presents were numerous and valuable.
LE WIS-JEREMY. On Tuesday, there was celebrated at NVator street 0.M. Chapel, Oamruail-then, a marriage between Mr T. Lewis, Caereu, Bridgend Glamorgan and Miss Enid Jeremy, third daughter of Mr David Jeremy, Tegfan, Ffynondd/rain, Carmarthen. The Rev M. H. Jones, pastor of the church, officiated accord- ing to the provisions of the new Act, so that the presence of the Registrar was not requi- site. Mies Lena Jeremy (sister of the bride) acted as bridesmaid; and Mr John Lewis, brother of the bridegroom, acted as best man.
LLOYD-BLOODWORTH. On Monday morning a marriage was cele- brated at Christ Church between Mr Lle- welyn Lloyd, of 27, Priory street, and Miss Lillie Alice Bloodworth youngest daughter of Mr Thomas Bloodworth, of 65, Water st. The bride, who was given away by Mr T. Lewis, woollen manufapturer, Lloolipqmlisaint was dressed in cream cashmere, and wore a Lace hat trimmed with pink. The brides- maids were Miss S. A. Idoyd (niece of the bridegroom), who was dressed in pink Indian muslin with ibaby hat to match, and Miss Elsiti Griffin, Bristol (niece of the bride), who wore pale blue voile with cream faille hat. Mr W. Thomas, Pari House, acted as best man. The Rev T. R. Walters, Vicar of St. David's, officiated.
RICHARDS-RICHARDS. A very pretty wedding was solemnised at St. Theodore's Parish Church, Port Talbot. on Saturday last, the contracting parties being Mr Edgar Rees Richards, of Woodfield 11 Row, Taibaeh, and Miss Edith Richards, of No. 5, Prospect Pl, Carmarthen. The ceremony was performed by the Rev J. J. Jones. The best man was Mr Griffith Wil- liams, and the bridesmaid, Miss Williams, 1, Wo dfield Row, TibaiCh. The bride, who was given away by kor uncle, Mr John C. Griffiths, 76, Lammas street, Carmarthen, wore a pretty silk blouge and Royal blue skirt, with hat to match of white c1 -ffon trim/mod with ribbon and white lilac. The bride and bridegroom were the recipients of many presents.
Carmarthen Intermediate Schools. ENTRANCE SCHOLARSHIP EXAMINA- TION, 1906. The results are as follows}— BOYS. Marks. Johnny Simon, Abergwili Nat. School. 524 Thomas Roberts, Abergwili Nat. 486 Johnny D. Morris, Llpnpumpaaint Cl. 439 Johnny Lewis, Abergwili Nat. 432 John W. G. PhiillipSj Pentrepoth CI. 432 Thomas W. Davies, Pentrepoth CI. 421 David E. Davies, Pentrepoth CI. 415 William Griffiths, Drefach Council 395 William Brunker, Nat. and Prac. 392 William D. Davies, Pentrepoth Cl. 390 George W. Wolfton, Nat. and pm:c: 351 Benjamin Evans, Nat. and Prac. 351 Willie Jones, Abergwili Nat. 330 Arthur C. Thomas, Pentrepoth Cl. 318 Edward Thomas, White Mill 318 (6 below standard). J. Simon, T. A. Roberts, and J. Lewis hi&ve already won P.T. scholarships. Entrance scholarships have been awarded to J. D. J Morris, J. W. G. Phillips, and T. W. Davies. GIRLS. Sarah A. Williams, Drefach 01. 487 Emily M. Matthew^ Nat. and Prac. 447 Gladys Phillips, Ivat. and P-rao. 428 Lydiia M. Goble, Kat. and Prac. 421 Rosiie Jones, Abergwili Nat. 416 Mairy A. Davtas, Abergwili Nat. 405 Eleanor J. Williams, Davies's Charity 394 Malloy Jones, Llandefei'log Nat. 381 MaJoy Ellen Thomas, White Mill and Pentre Council 345 Evelyn E. Anthony, Pentrepoth Cl. 342 Marv Jane Charles, Nat. and Piiae. 338 Hilda E. Leonard, Nat. and PYac. 320 Evelyn M. Smith, Priory st. School 309 (27 below standard). Scholarships have been awarded to the first four cand-idatw o the
I A Baptist Hero, formerly of Car- martheB. ADDRESS AT PENUEL. On Thursday, the 2nd inst., the Rev. J. T. I Griffiths, of Edwardsville, Pennsylvania, e U.S.A., delivered an address at Penuel Baptist Church, Carmarthen, on the Rev. Morgan John Rees, a noted Baptist of the 18th century. In the course of an inspiring discourse Mr Griffiths said he could safely say that the subject of his text could be safely termed the hero of political and religious liberty of tne 18th century. There had been fights for liberty for centuries previous to the appearance of Morgan John Rees on the scene, and these fights had not been confined sslely to these islands—-they had taken place in all the countries of Europe for centuries, but nowhere had they been so fierce as in Great Britain, and in no sphere so great as in the Baptist denomination. It was the pamphlet of Leonard Bushel in 1614, wbo, by the way, was a Baptist that fired the renowned Roger Williams in 1630, who did not rest until he planted the banner of freedom in Rhode Island in 1636. But it was not until 1774 that the first Congress was held in I Philadelphia to discuss the principles of religious and political liberty to all, and, d, strange to say, that amongst the leaders of the cause of liberty at this Congress were four Baptists, in the persons of Backus, Edwards, Jones, and Rogers, when John Adams, of New England, informed them that it would be easier to change the Solar system than to plant the principles they advocated in the country. The subject of the lecture was born in a farm houselnamed Graddfa, in the parish of Llanfabon, near Hengoed, Glamorganshire, on December 8, 1760. He was the son of Elizabeth and John Rees. His father was a successful farmer and religiously inclined, and took a lively interest in every- thing connected with the state and religious life of the country, and everything that tended to raise the status of religious; liberty received his most hearty support. Being in comfortable circumstances, the subject of the lecture received the best advantages educationally of the times, and young Morgan made the best use of them. There are two things connected with educational advantages which should always be kept in view, the first is to secure them, and secondly, after securing them to make the best use of them, and he was glad to find that Morgan John Rees did both. He xas born during troublesome times, and also in a very disturbed part of the country. Charles 11. had ascended the throne after Cromwell had been deposed, and persecution was becoming more and more intolerable. Morgan John Rees appeared to have been born at a time when he was most needed, and we soon find him preparing for the battle which he was called upon to fight. He was baptized comparatively young and became a member of Hengoed Church. Soon after he began to preach, and in 1786 he entered Bristol College as a student, where he studied under Dr. Evans, who was then the Principal of the College. His stay at the College was brief, for we find that in 1787 he was ordained pastor of Penygarn Baptist Church, near Pontypool. So we find that he was born, bred, and ordained in places that played an important part in the history of the egunti-y. It appears that the Baptists had a College at Trosnant in the year 1732 which was afterwards removed to Aber- gavenny and from that place to Pontypool. In the year 1740, one of the students at the College was Morgan Edwards, who some time afterwards emigrated to America, and it was Morgan Edwards it was who carried the educational ideas of England at the time to America, and thus formed the link between the two countries. When Morgan John Rees was ordained as pastor at the church at Penygarn, the Rev. Watkin Edwards of Hen- goed said of him God has a great amount of work to do in this place and other places through this man." It was evident that Watkin Edwards had an eye to see in the f tit-ure so far as Morgan John Rees was con- cerned, and in his case the prophecy had never been more faithfully fulfilled. Penygarn was, however, too. limited a scope for him. t JTe wi'i. fully i >»,f" >»■ 'W* ■ -aaaessitv educating his ieuow countrycacn both religiously and politically. Liberty of conscience, was his motto, and it appears to have been deeply engraved on the tablets of his heart. A great deal had been done for the uplifting of the nation from an educa- tional point of view so far back as the year 1698, but Morgan John Rees saw that although much had been done much more was required, and it appears that he was the man elected for the work. Sunday Schools had been established by Raikes in the year 1780, and all claim that he was the first to institute Sunday Schools. But it was a matter of history that the Baptists in Pennsylvania had established Sunday Schools 40 years previously between the towns of Reading and Lancaster, and the house where- in the Sunday School was held in Ephrata, was afterwards used as a hospital during the War of Independence." There are two opinions with regard to the establishment of Sunday Schools in Wales. One is that the Rev. Thomas Charles, of Bala, through his schools, established the Sunday Schools in Wales. The other is that Morgan John Rees established a School near Hengoed, which led into the general Sunday School movement. Historians, however, say that both opinions are wrong, It is evident that the Sunday School in Wales is the result of the Raikes movement. In 1785, William Cox, Jonas Hannaway, and Henry Thorton, organized a Society in London to aid in the establish- ment of Sunday Schools throughout the Principality. Edward Williams, Oswestry George Lewis, Llanuwchllyn were among the agents in the North, and Morgan John Rees, the Bishop of Llandaff, were among the agents in the South, from 1785 on. In 1798, Rev. Thomas Charles, of Bala, became an agent for the Society in Wales, and continued as such until his death in 1814. So that the Sunday Schools were established in Wales at least 12 years before Mr Charles became identified with the Raikes movement. As has been previously stated, to be minister of Panygarn Church only was much too limited a scope for him, and consequently he travelled all over the Principality, with the main object of establishing Sunday Schools in everywhere possible. In 1791 the associa- tion, held at Hengoed, received a letter from the church at Penygarn, in which it com- plained bitterly that their pastor was about to leave them although no reason is given in the minutes of that Association with regard to his leaving. During this time, namely, from the year 1789 to 1793,, France was in a turmoil, and Morgan John Rees seeing that somethiug could be done for the emancipation of the people of France, went over to Paris to explain the Word of God, as it is stated in one of their papers. He believed that the time had come, and he hoped that the people had become tired of the oppression of kings and Romish priests, and that they were ready to take advantage of the freedom that he proclaimed. Mr Rees reiiled a hall in Parfs, in which to preach the Gospel, and to distribute BiMos to the people. But, soon after this, things turned out quite contrary to his expectations, and he left, fjuring this time Louis XV. had just died and Louis XVI. had ascended the throne. Soon after the revolution brake out when the last named was beheaded. In the year 1791-2, David Jones, of Ponty- pool, and Peter Williams worked energetically P 00 1 to prepare the Bible of John Cann, in order to get it ready for distribution in France. And it may be asked why did they set about preparing the Bible of John Cann. Well it was for this reason that John Cann's Bible was the first ever published with marginal references, and this on account of the opposition of the Bishops of the Church of England, was translated in Amsterdam in the "year 1648. And although it is stated by ^isvoriansi that the first Bible ever distributed in foreign countries was done by the British and Foreign Bible Society in 1804, it is a matter of history that Morgan John Bees took over and distributed in France John Cann's Bible about 12 years previous to this. After his return from Franee tie sottiea down in Carmarthen, somewhere about the begin- ing of 1793, and he remained in Carmarthen during the year 1794. During this time he published a magazine, fi VB parts only of which ever appeared. The chief object of this publication was the cause of liberty, vviiich was so dear to hiua. In July, 1734; Morgan John Rees preached his last sermon in Wales at Glynceiriog on his way to America. He left this country in a rather peculiar way. It came about as follows. One evening, whilst at Carmarthen, he was attending a committee at the hotel, where the present town hall stands, when a gentleman appeared in the hotel, which was at the time kept by a man named Reid. Shortely after his arrival he enquired from Reid if he knew a man in the town named Morgan John Rees. Mr Reid said he did, and that he would take him to see Mr Rees in the morning. Shortly afterwards, Mr Reid went to the next room, where Mr Rees was and told him that a Government official had arrived from London with a warrant for his arrest. The reason assigned for his arrest was that he belonged to that society which was called the Jacobites, who were looked by the Government with a very suspicious eye. Having received this information Mr Rees started that night for Liverpool and walked so far as Lampeter. The following day he walked from Lampeter to Newtown, and he then took conveyance for Liverpool. Before starting on his journey he called upon his partner in the book trade, named Mr Josuah Watkins, who after this, became pastor of Priory-street Baptist Church, Car- marthen. He told him to bring as much of nis ciotnes and effects as he could after Air Watkins complied with his request and just reached Liverpool in time to deliver the same before he sailed from America on August 1st, 1794. After reaching America about the end of the year, he travelled extensively throughout the Southern States and North Western territories, preaching the Gospel of the kingdom, and at the same time searching for a suitable location for a Welsh colony. For this journey he bought a horse and travelled 1,500 miles. On his return to Philadelphia he married the daughter of Major Benjamin Loxey, who was an officer of the army of the revolution. After two years' residence in Philadelphia, he, in con- junction with Dr. Benjamin Rush, purchased a large tract of land in Pensylvania, which, in honour of his native country, he callea Cambria. He also located and planned the capital of the county, to which he gave the name Beulah. To this place he removed his own family witn a company of Welsh emigrants in 1796, and they were added to year by year by others from the principality. During this time he was very much occupied with his duties as land proprietor, and as pastor of the church in Beulah. He again removed from Beulah to Somerset, the county seat of Somerset county, and here made removed from Beulah to Somerset, the county seat of Somerset county, and here made a justice of the peace, a recoider of wills, and an associate judge in and for the county of Somerset. The Government of the country was very much taken up at the time with appeasing the Indians and bringing them to agree with the Government of the county and in this Mr Morgan John Rees played a very prominent part. At that time the negroes gave a great deal of trouble at Savannah, simply because they were not allowed to worship God only in tne presence of a white man, with the exception of twice a year. Morgan John Rees however brought about a happy settlement, whereby negroes were allowed to worahip in their own way, and he actually built a chapel for their service, which cost over 21,000. The Rev lecturer then went on to describe his move- ments in America up to the day of his death. It seemed as if the heavens had been opened, and he had been permitted to catch a glimpse within the veil. The address was highly appreciated by the large congregation present. =====!=S=
Endowments of Llanllwch, Car- marthen. [BY T. W. BARKER.] The income of the incumbent is made up of the following annual sums:- 1>— £ 80, rent of a portion of Ciknach&u a-bout 140 acres in extent, in the parish of Conwdl in the County of Carmarthen. .1 2.— £ 28, nent of a holding called Tynewydd (45 acres) in the same parish. 3-—3-41, rent of Baihseifi (27 aere&) in +he "paafafa xjt Lisaigain, m tiie county of Carmar- then. 4.— £ 38, rent of Penybank (believed to be about 50 acres), in the parish of Llanfynydd, in the county of Oarma.rthen. 5.— £ 2, rent of a portion of Gorslas, also in the parish of Llanfynydd. 6.— £ 18, rent of a portion of Berthllwyd Farm (formerly called Tyr-yr-Allt), in the parish of Llangunn xrk, dn the county of Car- marthen. 7.— £ 2, rent-charge on Warwenallt, in the parish of Mydrim, in the same county. 8.— £ 1 10s, rent-charge on Wernddu, in the parishes of Llangain and Liangunnock, in the same county. 9.— £ 22 8s 6d., from the Bounty Office. 10. -5s., rent charge on Limegrove, in the county of the borough of Carmarthen. 11.— £ 16 from the Ecclesiastical Commis- sioners. Total gross income, JE247 3s 6d. 1 and 2.—The Governors of Queen Anne's Bounty made a grant of JE200 in the year 1777 out of the Royal Bounty by lot. In 1778 Mrs Bridget Bevan gave a sum of f:200 to the living, which was met in the same year by another grant of L200 out of the Rjoyial Bounty. These three sums of L200 each (making altogether £ 600) were in 1871 in- vested in the purchase of these two properties 3.-This property was bought by the Bounty Office in 1741 for £ 200, the amount of a gmnt made to the living in 1740 out of the Royal Bounty by lot. 4.-This property was bought by the Bounty Office in 1752 for £ 20Q, the amount of a gi-ent made in .1749 out of the Royal Bountv bv lot. 5.—It is believed that the portion of Goais- las represents an allotment made in respect of Penybank. 6.—The sunj of £18 is paid to the incum- bent through the Charity Commissioners, and represents a legacy given to the "officiat- ing minister of the Church or vjhapel of Llan- llwch." by the will, dated 27th June, 1721, of John Vaughan, of Derllys Court, in t-he county of Carmarthen, who died on the 17th November, 1721. The legacy, together with other moneys, was invested in 1724 or 1725 in the purchase of Berthllwyd (then called Tyr- yr-Allt or Tyrllanygorse), with the sanction of the Court of Chancery. I have obtained this information from eS&rtain documents which Mr C. N. Phillips has kindly lent me. 7.—So fair I have not been able to trace the origin of this L2 rent-chairge. 8.-This sum of JE1 10s is j under Edward Williams' Charity, 9.—The £ 22 8s 6d is the interest at 3 per cent. on a baJanee of R747 Ils 5d ei-ediited to the account of the living in the Bounty Office Books, and made up as follows: LSOO grant made in 1820 out of the Parliamentary grants by lot, to which there has been added £ 59 lis 5d profits on stock transactions (1830), and from, which there has to be subtracted L112 expended in 1830 towards the expense of a Vicarage 10.—This annual payment of 5s is part of John Powell's Charity, 1718. 11.—The Eeele«>iasTioa'l Commissioners made a yearly grant of JE16 to the living in April, 1844.
1 Death pf Dr. R. D. Evans, Llandilo. It was just a little over four years ago that LLanchio and the neighbourhood was thrown into a state of consternation by the death of one of its most popuLar citizens, Dr W. H. Lloyd, the medical officer of health, who died suddenly at Swansea, when about to start off for a brief holiday, and now again there Las been consternation ait the death of Dr R. D. Evans, the medical officer of health. Up to Wednesday of last week he was out and about; on Sunday afternoon he had entered upon has long last sleep at the age ot torty- one. And the strange part of the two deaths is that both were in addition to being the medical officer of health, also surgeon to the volunteers, and as such held a commission. Dr Evans's eleven years at Llandilo may fittingly be described as short and swift. When he set up here at the age of 30, he bought up the remunerative practice of Dr Morgan, who was leaving the locality, And that practice he had made considerably more remunerative. As a youth, he was an appren- tice some 22 years ago with his uncle, Mr W. J. Williams, the chemist, Medical Hall, and his ability enabled-him in a few years to qualify as a medical practitioner and & suc- cessful one. It was his ambition that helped him and there can be no doubt the same quality had helped him aJI along his career. He never seemed to care to do thinp exactly like other people, and thus when he got married he astonished the public by marrying Miss Jones, Cothi Hall, who was a ward in Chancery on the very day that she wfatained her 21st birthday, and was thus her own mis- tress. She brought him a handsome addition to his income. When the Volunteers left for a week's oa-mping on Salisbury Plain on Saturday night, the 21st of July, he accom- panied them but not feeling up to sorts he travelled home again on the following Monday night. Then a carbuncle developed on his neck, and despite the fact that Dr Davies, Llandilo; Dr Bird, Dynevor; Drø Brooks and Eleworth, of Swansea; Williams, of Llanelly, and a specialist from London, were -all consulted and did what they ooula for him, all was in vain. Blood poisoning set in and death claimed him. He leaves a widow and two young children to mourn his loss. He hailed from Dowlais, where his father was a chemist, and where he has a brother a chemist at present, whilst another brother is a medical practitioner at Narberth.
Sad Drowning Fatality at Tenb). A LLANDOVERY SOLICITOR'S SON LOSES HIS LIFE. A sad drowning fatality occurred at Tenby on Friday afternoon, when a lad named Thos. Phillips, nine years ot age, son of Mr Thomas Phillips, solicitor, Llandovery, wihiist bath- ing on the Giitar Sands, was carried out to sea and drowned. The deceased lad, who, it is stated, had already bathed twice before the same day, had been staying with his parents at Warburton House, South Cliff Gardens. Shortly after three o'clock he went into the sea when there was a some- what heavy ground swell on. The unfortun- ate lad was in charge of a servant girf, but she appears not to have noticed his absence until some time afterwards. His clothes were still on the sands, and a search along the beach was made for him, but as he was no where to be seen an alarm was raised. The police acted promptly, two boats with a dredge net putting out from the harbour and proceeding to the scene of the fatality. Though that part of the coast was dragged for a considerable time the body was not re- covered. THE INQUEST. Mr H. Price, Coroner for Pembrokeshire, held an inquest on Saturday at Tenby on tfce body of the lad, Thomas Phillips, of Llan- dovery, who was drowned the previous after- noon on the South Sands. The principal witness was the nurse, Miss Jenny Jones, who said that she went to bathe with the deceased and his three sisters, the sea being very rough at the tiane. She stayed in only a few minutes, and went out, leaving the lad in the water .The mother afterwards came down, and not seeing the lad, asked where he was. The nuree then noticed that the i—-i -i a. An aaaron was- given, aM the 'body was found by some boatmen Bar the. culvert in the evening. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and the Foreman (Mr Farley) ex- pressed the opinion that the child ought not to have been allowed ailone in the water, con- sidering the strong ground sea prevailing at the time--a view which was shared by the coroner. The fuDertl of Master Thoma* D. Phillips took place on To«d»y, the interment being at Llaadlngat Church. Among those prraent were Alderman C. P. Lewie, J. Watkins, J. R. Jamea, Councillors D. T. M. Jones, D. Perrott, J. Erans, Castle-street; T. Roberts, Hy. Howard, T Gwenlois Davies, Daniel Morgan. The Rev, E. Jones, the Rev. Graffydd Evans, and the Rev. H. Hughes officiated.
Temperance Fete at Aberglasney. Mrs Mayhew, of Aberglasney, gave her annual temperance fete at this historic seat on Thursday, the 2nd of August, when the various bands of hope connected with the Llangatihen Band of Hope Union, the Llan- dilo Rechabites sent considerable contingents there to oelebiaite the day. Of the good that Colonel and Mrs Mayhew have done and are doing, and they are ably backed by Mu. Nidholls, the untiring secretary of the Union, in inculcating sobriety in the locality ia whidh they reside, there can be no question, and to see some thousands or more Msemblea and all believers in cold water, had nothing of the damp blanket effect ou one's spirits, but effect of a very different nature. Were they to cease their good work to-morrow, whaji they have already accomplished must bear fruit for many yeairs to come. The pro- gramme for the afternoon included the assembling at Broad Oak and a march thenee to A berglasney, headed bv the Llandilo BUM). But, UJIfortunately, the new 1.35 p.m. train from Llandilo, was only an hour late starting from Llandilo, and as the band was coming along with it, the procession had to proceed to Abeirglasney without the band which only arrived there after the procession, whilst t- Rec/hahites straggled in in different groups. It wws not a propitious start, but despite The elouds that were big with thunder and every moment threatened to break on the heads of those below, they tUd not do so until tea minutes to seven, when they emptied them- selves all too bountifully drenching those who failed to find shelter. The Llandiloites fared worse in wending their way to Golden Grore Station. But (tesipite the bad start and finish, four happy hours were spent. After the meet on the lawn, addresses were deliv- ered by the Revs D. Evans, Ltangunnor, in English, and the Rev E. G. Rees, A berg or- ledh, in Welsh. Then followed a Juvenile Choir competition), by which time all were ready for the enjoyable tea that was served to theadutts. in a large marquee and to the juveniles in a spacious bam. The rest of the time was spent in races of Afferent kinds, the Llandilo Band the while rlisrwirung sweet strains. The youngsters are already looking forward to the next fete.
MABRIAG. 'I RICHARDS—RICHARBS.—August 4th, at St. Theodore's Parish Church, Port Talbot, by the Rev J. J. Jones, Mr Edgar Rees Richard?, of Woodfield-row, Taibaeh, to Miss Edith Richards, 5, Prospect-placey Carmarthen. DEATH. EVANS.-Augllst 5th, at Dale Houee, Llandilo Dr II. D. Evans, aged 41 years.