Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page

ADVANCING BACKWARDS.

Carmarthen County Police Court.

--. The Question of the Hour.

Advertising

Carmarthenshire Infirmary.

News
Cite
Share

Carmarthenshire Infirmary. ANNUAL MEETING OF GOVERNORS. The annual meeting of the governors of and ¡¡uhseribers to L: OHlDl\rtthûnshire Infirmary was hold at the Shire-hall. Caitnirthcu, on Thursday, the nth inst. Mr H Brunei White (Mayor of Car- m-t-thc-.ri) presided. There were also present ,—Dr vhllrL, Mr Thomas Jones (Mansel-street), Mr T Barker, Mr James Philips (London House). Mr TEBrigs'ocke, Rev Jonathan Marsden, Mr J W Forbes, Mr John Miller, Mr James Brigstocke, Mr Evan Morgan. Dr R G Price, Mr C W Jones, Mr H F Pi it-chard. Mr George Bagnall, Mr E Culby Evans. Mr Walter Lloyd, Mr W Morgan Griffiths. Dr E R Williams, Mr Richard Lloyd (Dark-gate), and Mr Daud Williams (Lammas-street); together with the secretary (Mr Ben Spivey), and the house surgeon (Dr Griffiths). The Chairman said he was glad to see so many present. That showed that the Institution had not lost i's hold on the people of Carmarthen and ne.ighbourhoood. He would have much preferred that the chair hid been occupied by one of the county gentlemen, who would give greater eclat- to the proceedings than he would. The accounts for the year showed a slight increase on the right side, a good deal of the increase was dua to the energy of their respected secretary—Mr Bea Spivey. Mentioning the HaDes of various benefactors, the Chairman recalled the good deeds of Mr Studt, who bad done so much for the institution of recent years. Mention was also made of the fact that Mr Llewellyn Williams and Mr T J Harries, of London, had cach subscribed 50 guineas to the Infirmary. Great credit was due to Mr Thomas Jenkins, who had brought the needs of the institution under the notice of these two gentlemen —one of whom, at any rate, had promised that he would subscribe a like sum annually. The ball promoted by Mrs R M Tnomas and other ladies had brought in X82 and the Infirmary Saturday had brought in L175. The legacies of X,200 from Mrs Jones, Cwmcoch, Llandebie and JE270 from Miss Parnall had been invested in 4 per cent Guaranteed L lz X W R Stock. During the p:1>t year the House Committee had lost by death two very valuable members—Mr Charles Finch hnd Mr Jacob Thomas. After paying a high tribute to the manner in which the chairman of the House Committee (Rev C G Brown) conducted the business, the Chairman concluded by recommending the work of the Institution in the words, Inas- much as ye have done it to the least of theso, yc have done it unto Me." HOUSE COMMITTEE'S REPORT. The report of the House Commit.ee, which was then read by the Secretary, and adopted. stated that the Infirmary continued to do its work with increasing beuetit to the community. The returns made by thi Medical Officer for the whole year might show that the number of in-pulicnta under treatment had not been so large as in the previous year, but that had been due, not to ouv lack of confidence on the part of the sick, but to the better health of the general public, the past year having been admittedly one of exceptional healthiness. It was gratifying to notice that the in-patients had been drawn from the more distant parts of the county, as well as from the vicinity of the town, and that, though at some periods of the year their number had been smaller than usual, not unfrequently the wards hid been so full as to have made further admissions impossible. It was -till more gratifying to the House Committee to be able to state that weak by week they had had from patients leaving the Infirmary most emphatic testimony to the care, skill, and attention, they had received from the medical and nursing staffs cf the Institution, and the committee again availed them- selves of that opportunity of publicly thanking those officers for their very efficient services. In October last the Infirmary lost ths servic s of its resident Medical Officer, through the removal of Mr J J Evans to the Eye Hospital at Birmingham. Mr Evans had served the Carmarthenshire Infirmary with much zeal and ability for upwards of three years, his care for the interests of the Institution was most marked, and the instruction given by him to the nursing staff was very valuable. The vacancy had been filled by the appointment of Mr J H N Griffiths, M.B., C M., Edinburgh. At ill- last general meeting the Governors were reminded that it would be necassary to proceed with the restoration of the east wall of the building, and a hope was expressed that this necessary woik would be carried out, even if by so doing the debt upon the Institution would be increased. But not even the most sanguine of their supporters would have supposed that, owing to increased interest taken in the Infirmary and to the exertions made by many friends to raise subscriptions and obtain funds by means of entertainments, the committee would be able, not only to re-cement the east wall but to finish the north wall, to complete also the n' nf t11'n;n" nnt1 vønt.ilo.tinn, nTl,1 Dracbically Q.uu. 1J""14Î 1 rJT ,11 CHh Institu- tion but with a material decrease, for whereas the balance against the Infirmary in March, 1895, was L298 8s Id, it was now only £121 Is 9J. The exterior of the building had now been placed in a most satisfactory condition, the architect stating his opinion that no part of the walls would again want repairing for the next hundred years. The whole of the drainage and ventilation had been put into good working order, and a very considerable improvement had been brought about in the bath accommodation. The committed, however, were disposed to look upon this last alteration as of only a temporary character, it being thought very desirable at some future time, when means may be placed at their disposal, to so alter the bath-room and office accommodation as to bring the Institution into a condition more in accordance with what modern sanitation demands. The warmest thanks of all interested in the well-being of the Infirmary were due to all those whose exertions had enabled this excellent work to be done. The House Com- mittee desired expressly to thank Mr S:udt for his generous donation of LIOO, Mr Ll Williams and Mr T J Harries for their contributions each of fifty guineas, the Mayor (Mr H Brunei White) for ;£,12 15s od. the proceeds of a dramatic entertainment, and those ladies who, by instituting an lnurmary Ball, were ab'e to hand over the handsome sum of is2 14s 8d. At the last general meeting the House Committee were directed to use their best endeavours to establish an Infirmary Saturday. They had now to report that through the kind zeal and energetic action of many friends, as well as the skilful organisation and untiring work of their Secretary, Mr B Spivey, the Hospital Saturday had been established, and was an unlooked for success. The amount raised was £ 175 4s 3d. It was much to be hoped that the Infirmary Saturday would become a permanent institution, not only because it had proved itself a very effectual means of raising funds, but because it afforded to many an opportunity of contributing, which they appeared most eager to avail themselves of-an opportunity which otherwise they might possibly not have Nothing was more marked than the eagerness exhibited by the poorer inhabitants of Carmarthen to give of their means, and no more convincing proof of their appreciation of the usefulness of the Infirmary could be desired. The committee d?sired to report that the Nursing Institution appeared to them to be an unqualified success. The demands from outside for nursing aid were constant, and, unfortunately, were often greater than the com- mittee, with a limited staff, could adequately supply. The letters received from patients, doctors, and relatives, afforded ample evidence of the benefit the public received through the skilled nursing the Infirmary affords, and there could not be a shadow of a donbt that by this means an acknowledged want in the county was supplied. The income from this source was considerably greater than the expense entailed, so that this branch of the Infirmary was carried on with profit to the Institu- tion. Since the last general meeting the first examination of the probationary nursing staff for certificates of competence had been held by the medical officers with gratifying results. It was to be hoped that the knowledge that such training could be had might attract to the Infirmary young women of at least fairly good education, who were certainly best fitted for so useful and honourable a career. In conclusion, the committee pointed out that much remains to be done if the Infirmary is to be placed in a thoroughly satisfactory condition. Among the most pressing were repainting the interior, replacing old and nearly worn-out bed- steads by those of a more modern pattern, and re- laying the floors in those wards where such work was required. These improvements, it wns hoped, would be carried out shortly. The committee returned their sincere thanks for the many kind gifts of fruit, flowers, toys, books, and papers. HOUSE SURGEON'S REPORT. The report of the House Surgeon (Dr J II N Griffiths) for the year ending March 31st, was then read and adopted. It stated that the number of patients treated during the year had been 813. Of this number 689 were out-patients. The particulars were as follows:—Out-patients, under treatment April 1st, 1895, 124 admitted during the you, 5(35; total, G89. Of these 471 were recommended by the governors, and 211 were casualties and emergencies. In-patients, under treatment April 1st, 1895, 24 admitted during the year, 100 total, 124. The result of treatment was as follovvp Discharged recovered, 48 relieved, 48; died, 5 remaining under treatment, 19. Ninety-four cases were recommended by tho governors, and 30 were casualties and emergencies. The average cost of both in and out-patients in medicine, instruments, and appliances, were as follows 1895-6, 28 8Id 4 1894-5,23 Id 1893-4, 2s lOd 1892-3. Is 11:11; 1891-2, 2s 9yd. The average cost of each inmate, including residential staff, nurses, and servants, for diet, including wine, beer, and spirits, for patients, was'as follows 1895-6, per week, Sslljd., per year, E15 8s 9d 1894-5, 53 9N, per year, JElo 2s 4 3d; 1893-4, per week, 5s 3d, per year, £ 13 13s; 1892-3, per week, 68 Gd, per year, f,13 13s 1891-2, per week, 68 1-d, per year, JE16 126 7d. The com- parative statement showed that in 1891 there were 158 in patients and 611 out-patients, total 769 1892, 170 in-patients, 531 out, total 704 1893, 131 in-paticnte, 560 out, total 691 1894, 142 in-patients, 556 out, total 698 1895, 141 in-patients, 650 out, total 794 1896, 124 in-patients, 68: out, total 813. FINANCIAL STATEMENT. The statement of the receipts and expenditure from April 1st, 1895, to March 3ist, 1896, which was submitted by the secr.tary, showed that the subscriptions amounted to 1,393 189 donations, £ 221 12a 6d (including X-100 from Mr Hemy Studr) jEo2 in-i from Mr T. J. liatries £ 52 10s from Mr Ll. Wiiiiarcs CI, a;.c nyuioua, Carmarthen and A:3 G.W.R. Temperance Union (Carmarthtn Branch) collections in churches and chapels, X154 Os 7d proceeds of concerts, including fines, &c., £ 106 10s Id Infirmary Saturday, house to house canvas,;C33 2s railway stations, LO 138 9d markets and street ccllcctiona, f22 18s H shops and hotels, jE2 12s 3d total, JE161 13s 9d private nursing fees, £ 102 4s 61; dividends and interest, £453 17 Id; and legacies, 449-5. The expenditure amounted to 11 ;c 2,248 138 5d, having a balance due to the treasurer of X121 Is 9d. In answer to questions, Mr John Milier said that the amount stated as from "St Clears and Pendine brakes" had been obtained through Messrs David and Howell, promising him that they would run their brakes for a day for the benfit of the Infirmary. The Secretary said it had been agreed not to mention any names, because if the names of every- one who contributed on the Infirmary Saturday were mentioned, a small volume would be requiied to contain the names. ELECTION OF HOUSE CO-IIMIITEE. The Secretary read the following list of attendances made by the members of the House Committee diuiug the year:—Mr Evan Morgan, 49; Mr C W Jones, 38 Mr T E Brigstonke, 31; Mr E II Harris, 11 Rev C G Browne, 45 Mr Thomas Thomas, 7 Mr W Morgan Griffiths, 16 Mr James BrigsLocke. 25 Rev T R Walters, 22 Mr Rowland Browne, 19 Bishop of Swansea, 17 Mr R M Thomas, 27 Mr H Brunei White, 37 Mr Waiter Lloyd, 46 Rev David Evans, 37; Mr 1! .,v. cll Ilowelis, 41 Mr James Phillipps, 46 Rev J Maryden, 42 Mr John Miller, 47. The names of the following were proposed as candidates for the two vacant places, viz.—Mr John Lewis, Johnstown; Dr Parry: Mr J W Forbes Mr E Colby Evans and Mr David Williams. The following was the result of the ballot. The figures show the number of votes cast for each of the successful candidates Mr Evan Morgan, 22 Rev C G Browne, 22; Mr H B White 22 Mr James Phillips, 22 Re' J Mareden, 22 Mr C W Jones, 21 Bishop of Swansea, 21 Mr R M Thomas, 21 Mr Howell Howells, 21 Mr John Miller, 21 Mr Walter Lloyd, 21 Mr T E Brigstocke, 20; Mr E II Morris, 20 Mr W Morgan Griffiths, 20 Rev David Evans, 20; Mr James Brigstocke, 19 Mr Rowland Browne, 19 Mr Thomas Thomaa, 18 Rev T R Walters, 18 Mr E Colby Evans, 14 Mr David Williams, 14. Mr J W Forbes moved a vote of thanks to the Honorary Medical Staff; the members of the House Committee; the ministers of religion who had attended on the patients and promoted collec- tions for the good of the Institution the honorary treasurer (Mr 11 F Pritchard) and the auditors (Mr Thomas Jones and Mr David Williams). Mr E Colby Evans seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously. Mr W Morgan Griffiths moved a vote of thanks to the promoters of the entertainments in aid of be Infirmary the members of the Infirmary Saturday" Committee the Infirmary Ball" Committee; Mr Studt, Mr T J Harries, Mr Llewellyn Williams ank the members of the local Press for making known th* needs of the Institution.-la moving the resolntion, Mr W M Griffiths said he had received a communication from a gentleman who offered to give 25 guineas to the funds of the Institution, if half-a-dozen others would contribute the like amount. Mr George Bagnall seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously. The Mayor brought forward the question as to the right of clubs, etc., who contributed to the funds to recommend patients for admission to the Infirmary. He was president of a Cycling Club, but if that club subscribed 10 guineas, he or the other officers of the club had not the same privilege as a private individual who subscribed one guinea. He thought this unfair, Mr W Morgan Griffiths moved that the rules should be altered, so as to remedy the state of affairs indicated by the chairman. This motion was secondad by Dr Williams, and carried nem COlt. Mr W Morgan Griffiths brought forwl\1 a motion to abrogate rule 88, which throws the of changing, or proposing to change, a rule t1- aso\l. on" discussion, b<-> = '• ;o*ii5i!um3wa&'at Vj ed. I ° .'Ctn tjjti

TALLEY.

ST. CLEARS.

----------------__.----, WORK…

St. Peters's Church, Carmarthen.

St. David's Easter Vestry.

M yd rim School.

----_-ID the Editor of the…

---St. Clears Eisteddfod.j

Bankyfelin. ¡