Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page


Death of CoL T. Phillips.


Medicine for the Million.

[No title]


..c--I I |our Departed Friends.

ILlwydcoed Tragedy.


Llwydcoed Tragedy. Lady Killed on the Line.-Whistling at Level Crossings. At the Miners' Arms, Llwydcoed, on Tuesday, Mr R. J. Rhys, coroner, held an inquest touching the death of Bessie Annie Loud (33), single woman, from Bath, now residing at Fernleigh. Wm. Jones Lewis, Fernleigh, said that deceased was his wife's sister. She had resided with them for ten weeks. He last saw her alive at 8.30 on Monday morning, when she took the little girl to school. Deceased was hard of hearing. She was in the habit of going for a walk every morning in the direction of the feeder. She had been in comparatively good health for the last few weeks, and had been fair- ly cheerful of late. Phyllis Lewis (7), said that slle went from the house with her aunt on the morning in question. Her aunt kissed her good-bye by the church. She did not know where she went afterwards. Thomas Morgan (12) said he knew Miss Loud. He saw her on Monday morning going down towards the farm. Thomas Burton deposed that just be- fore 10 on Monday morning he found a woman's body lying on the down line outside, a little above the gate. The head was inside the rail. She was quite dead. He informed P.C. Bradshaw at once. Morgan Hees, driver of the 9.17 a.m. passenger train from Aberdare, stated that he was not in the habit of whistling in passing the crossing in question un- less he saw someone there. Both he and the fireman were on the lookout on this occasion, but saw no one on the line. They were going very slow- about 6 or 7 miles an hour. He found no trace of anything on the engine. James Edgar Lewis, fireman on the same engine, stated that as far as he could recollect he was looking out when passing the crossing. He saw no one on the line. William Pontin, driver of the goods train that followed in the same direc- tion, said that he saw a body on the line. He brought the train to a stand- still, and with -the assistance of the guard removed the body. It was a little above the gate. Dr. Banks saiYl he had attended de- ceased. She suffered from neurasthen- ia and depression. She was hard of hearing. He last saw her on Monday week. He viewed the body after the accident. The head and the right arm above the elbow had practically been taken off. Death must have been in- stantaneous. He had not noticed suicidal tendency in deceased. Coroner to Inspector Bevan, G.W.R. Have you any rule about whistling while passing this crossing?—No. Coroner I think you had better make one. What is the good of whistling only when you see someone on the line." The Coroner, summing up, remarked that it was certain that deceased was killed by the passenger train. The strange thing was that neither the driver or fireman saw the woman. As a rule in similar circumstances men swore by all that was holy that they had whistled, but these men frankly ad- mitted that they did not whistle. The question was whether deceased com- mitted suicide or was she killed acci- dentally? The jury returned a verdict of acci- dental death. Mr Jenkin Rees was foreman of the jury, and P.C. Bradshaw was the coron- er's officer.


Mountain Ash Education Committee.

Nearly" Pulped."