Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

17 articles on this Page

Aberdare County Court.

RE DOCTOR'S QUESTION.

Advertising

Ynyslwyd Baptist Church, Aberaman.

News
Cite
Share

Ynyslwyd Baptist Church, Aberaman. Half-century meetings were held at the above place of worship on Sunday and Monday last, when the Revs. Peter Jones, Colwyn Bay; Jubilee Young, Rhondda, and E. T. Jones, Llanelly, preached to large congregations. Messrs William Richards and Gwilym Rich- ards acted as precentors, the organists being Mr Abraham Watkins, G. and L., and Miss Maud Richards. At Monday afternoon Service the history of the church was given by Mr William Davies, senior deacon. The cause was started in the year 1858 at the Long Room of the Old Albion. After a while they built a schoolroom and cottage, which cost them £ ,254 17s 8d. Here they held a Sunday School, prayer meetings, and preaching services for over three years. The few faithful worshippers of the Long Room moved into their new edifice at the opening of the year 1863, when the membership increased to 130, through, transfers from Calfaria, the mother church. On the first Sunday and Mon- day of February, 1863, the opening ser- vices were held, when the Rev. T. John, Llailgyndeyrn, preached.; The Rev. Thomas Jones commenced duties as pastor on the first Sunday in August, 1863. The church from its foundation to the. election of pastor was under the supervision of the late Dr. Price, of Penpound, who was assisted by the Brethren David Hopkins, Jeremiah James, and George Thomas, local preachers. The late Jenkin Howell, Aberdare, was the first precentor, fol- lowed by John James, David Richards, and William Richards, the present pre- centor. There was a children's choir connected with the church under the successive leadership of D. Scourfield, M. D. Lloyd, and Gwilym Richards, which choir numbered over two hun- dred. The church membership increased until it reached 415 in the year 1875, and the Sunday School 550. During this nnriod the church was enlarged at an additional cost of R900. The vestries of the church were at this time utilised to form a British Sghool, until the school known as Blaengwawr was built, and they obtained a Government grant of J2200 a year. At the end of the year I 1875, owing to a stoppage of the Blaen- gwawr Collieries, about sixty members received transfers to Nazareth Church, Blaenllechau, and to other places in Glamorgan, until by the end of 1876 the number had decreased to about three hundred. The Rev. T. John, on leaving for Siloh, Tredegar, preached his fare- well sermon on Sunday, 25th March, 1877. Following Mr John the late Rev. R. E. Williams (Twrfab) was given a call, which he accepted, and on Septem- ber 15th. 1878, commenced duties as pastor. He died September 26th, 1911, after a 33 years' pastorate. The church prospered spiritually and increased numerically during Mr Williams' pas- torate. Young, men were raised to the ministry, amongst whom being the Revs. W. M. Morgan-, Cross Hands and Dan Davies, Fishguard; the late Revs James Roach, of Durham; Rees Powell, Briton Ferry; Morgan Lewis, Cwmsyfiog; Ior- werth Ddu, Maesteg; W. Lloyd, Holy- head, son of Stephen Lloyd, the oldest deacon in Ynyslwyd. The debt when Mr. Williams became pastor was R400. In 1891 the church held its jubilee, it being free of debt. Recently the chapel has been renovated throughout at a cost of £ 475 10s, which debt they are now en- deavouring to remove.

THE YNYSYBWL LAMP CASE.

MILK AND HONEY IN CANADA.

CWMDARE.

TRECYNON.

CADLYS.

|ABERDARE.

.ABERNANT.

CWMBACH.

ABERAMAN.

CODREAMAN.

ABERCWMBOI.

A REVELATION.

Advertising