Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

6 articles on this Page

Aberdare Trades Council.




Football. BY « SPECTATOR." ASSOCIATION. Western League. The visit of Bristol Rovers Reserves to Aberdare is always a welcome one. The corresponding game last season will be remembered by those who were fortunate enough to witness the splendid exhibitions, as it was the most exhilarating on the New Athletic Grounds during the whole season. After a ding-dong battle, the Darians ran out winners by 3 goals to 1. Unfortunately rain came on just before the advertized time for the kick-off, but the gate was, nevertheless, a good one. The Darians played Billy Francis, Jate of Treharris, at left half, and .Toe Watts partnered Tom Daniel on the left wing. The visitors had a strong eleven, including Ovens and Williams of the first string. Williams is a. centre-half who made a name for himself while in the ranks of Bradford Citv last season. 0 0 0 The following teams took up their places about 4 o'clock:—Bristol Rovers: Goal, Demmery; full-backs, Osborne and Gauge; -backs, Phillips, Williams, and Ovens; forwards, Williams, Riddel, Payne, Millar, and Jones. Aberdare: Goal, Tyler; full-backs, Alf 800chvin '(captain) and Joe Lewis; J-backs, Sam Parker, Farringcloh, and W. Francis; forwards, Tippett, Bowell, Bradbury, T. D. Jones, and Joe Watts. Referee, Mr. Summerhill, Bristol. 000 Bradbury started, and tlie ball coming out to Parker, Gauge was penalized for a foul on the Dare right half. The free- kick was placed dangerously near Dem- mery, Gauge clearing with a huge kick. Jones, the Rovers' left-wing, broke through, but the home captain was too many for him, and took the ball from off his toes. Joe Watts initiated an attack- ing movement, and beating both Osborne and Phillips, he tipped the ball over to T. D. Jones, who saw Demmery coming out to charge him. Controlling himself splendidly, he lifted the ball over the custodian's head into the net. The Dar- ians fired by this success, attacked hotly, but a grand shot from Bowell was well saved by the Bristol goalie. The Rovers next attacked, but the greasy ball upset their calculations. Play was transferred to the other end, where Tippett came into prominence, Sam Parker feeding him judiciously. The winger beat Gauge for pace and sent across a well-judged centre, and from a melee in the goalmouth, Holly" Bowell easily beat Demmery. Williams, the visiting centre-half, tried several long shots which Tyler success- fully negotiatecl.Tryas they would, Bristol could not break through the stone wall defence, Goodwin, Joe Lewis, and the three halves being at the top of their form. Half-time score: Aberdare, 2 goals; Bristol Rovers, nil. o o 0 An injury to Bradbury just before the interval necessitater a change, Joe Watts going to the centre, Bradbury playing on the extreme left. An attack by the home forwards resulted in Sam Farringdon sending in a low shot which Demmery covered but failed to hold, and the ball rolled into the net much to his disgust. A few minutes later Tippett sent in a 'n beautiful centre which Demmery only partially cleared, and the goal was at the mercy of the Darians, but Bradbury and a few of his colleagues unaccountably failed to gather the ball, and a ridicu- lously easy chance was thrown away. Final score Aberdare, 3 goals; Bristol Rovers, nil. 0 0 ä The home team were all round better than their opponents, and were cleverer in controlling the wet ball. The Bristol backs failed on several occasions to kick accurately, while on the other hand the Dare captain never failed to get his boot properly to the ball. Joe Lewis was in- strumental in stopping what looked like dangerous movements on several occa- sions. The three halves were in grand fettle; and whether in attack or defence were never found wanting. The forwards were seen to great advantage. 000 Harry Carter, last season's goal-keeper, has been very fortunate in obtaining ;t position at Workington, and for this season he will represent that team be- tween. the sticks in all Lancashire Com- bination Game's. Followers of the Aber- dare team all wish him luck in his new home. BY "MUDDIED OAF." ASSOCIATION. Glamorgan League, 2nd Division. Aber- dare Town Reserves v. Llanbradach. This was the opening match for the Dare Second Eleven, and was played at the Llanbradach Enclosure on Saturday. The teams fielded under the charge of Mr. Harry Williams, of Brithdir, in the following order:—Aberdare: Backs, Geo. Walker and Fred Lewis; halves, Dai Tom Williams, J. Robinson, and W. Thomas; forwards, Tom Evans, Charlie Flooks, Collier, Will Evans, and Ernie Loveless. Llanbradach: Goal, Jones; backs, Barber Jones and Tudor; halves, Evan Jones, Jack Jones. and Jimmy Shields; forwards, Ben Thomas, Jack Tudor, Griff Williams, Colley, and Jones. In the first moiety play was very even, and neither side scored. In the second half Tommy Evans, the clever young Cefnpennar right wing, scored a beauti- ful goal for the Dare Reserves. Will Evans (" Smaliv "), the Cefnpennar in- side left, beat the home goal-keeper with a sly shot. Llanbradach afterwards got away, and Colley scored twice. Jack Tudor also found the net upon the call of time. Final score: Llanbradach, 3 goals; Aberdare Town Reserves, 2 goals. o o o The Aberaman Wanderers A.F.C. head the 3rd Division of the Glamorgan League, having played 5 matches, won 4, lost 1, drawn 0, with 20 goals for and only 4 goals against, with a total of 8 points. The Aberaman Windsors have become the runners up with the following re- cord Played 4 matches, won 3, lost 0, drawn 1, with 5 goals for and only 1 goal against, with 7 league points. The Cwm- bach Crescents have played 2 matches, won 1, lost 1, drawn 0, 8 goals for and 3 against, with 2 league points. 000 The Aberdare County School have de- cided to run a Soccer Eleven this season in the place of the Rugby fifteen. Mr. Trevor Reynolds is captain, Mr. Aubrey Roberts, B.A., treasurer, and Mr. L. Bosher, of 8, Brondeg-terrace, secretary. Mr. Fred Phelps will act as trainer. Secretary Bosher has already arranged home and away fixtures with Merthyr, Pontypridd, Portli, Pengam, Mountain Ash, Cardiff, etc. 000 On Saturay last the Aberdare County School A.F.C. played their opening match against the -Pontypridd County School at the Aberdare Hockey Grounds, when Mr Fred Phelps acted as referee. The fol- lowing team did duty for Aberdare: Goal, Aneurin Rees; backs, Brvn Rey- nolds and W. Jones; halves, L." Bosher, Wyndham Thomas, and Howard Davies; forwards, VV. J. Evans, Dick Watkins, W. Oxenham, Trevor Reynolds, and Tom Roderick. Aberdare scored through Willie Oxenham and Dick Watkins, and the Pontypridd centre half retaliated. After the change of ends Bosher beat the defence and registered a tricky goal for the homesters. Pontypridd responded with a goal scored by their inside right. Final score: Aberdare County School, 3 goals; Pontypridd County School, 2 goals. 000 A new team has been organized, viz., "The Aberdare Church Association Foot- ball Club." Mr. A. E. Kimpton is secre- tary pro tem. The club have the use of the field by Cwmbach Road, and will have their head-quarters at the Memorial Hall. 000 Aberdare and District League. Tre- cynon Windsors v. Jubilee Rovers. Played at the Park on Saturday last. Mr. Tom w Williams, of Robertstown, officiated as referee. Teams:—Trecynon Windsors: Goal, Jack Phillips; backs, Eddy Mor- gan and Tom J. Austin; halves, John Rees James, Tom J. Evans, and Evan Vaughan; forwards, Tom George, Jim Evans, Mitchell, Dai J. Peters, and Alec Taylor. Jubilee Rovers: Goal, Harry Davies; backs, Morgan Morgan and W. Charles Morgan; halves, T. J. Harris, Jack Crumb, and Welsford; forwards, Jim Thomas, Dai Harris, Tom. Butler, Evan Jones, and Will Cunick. Jim Evans opened the score with a shot which Harry Davies failed to negotiate. Wels- ford sent in a powerful shot for the Jubi- lee Rovers which Jack Phillips cleared. Tom Butler, the centre-forward, caught the ball on the rebound, and netted it. The Windsors were awarded a penalty owing to an infringement by one of the Jubilee backs. Tom J. Evans took the kick and notched the winning goal for his side. Final score: Trecynon Wind- sors, 2 goals; Jubilee Rovers, 1 goal. o o o The Jubilee Rovers protested stoutly against the'alleged unfairness of the re- feree. They threaten to bring tKe'matter before the league meeting. For their side Harry Davies played a. grand game in goal, whilst Morgan Morgan was a greater success at full-back than his partner. The pick of the halves was Jack Crumb, whilst Tom Butler shone in the forward line. The team will play the Mountain Ash Recreation XI. next Saturday at Mountain Ash. RUGBY. Mountain Ash v. Cross Keys. This match took place at the Mount Enclosure on Saturday last. For the Mount team Harry John stood down to allow a trial to be given to Trevor Flooks, of Aber- dare. who has played with success in the Cardiff Reserves fifteen. Mr. D. Lewis, of Pontypridd, was the referee. Moun- tain Ash: Back, Johnny Thomas; î- backs, Trevor Flooks, Ivor Bevan, Jim Donovan, and Eddie Ainsworth; i-backs, Wyndham Jones and Benjamin; for- wards, Tom Shepperd (capt.), Geo. Caple, Will Douse, Dai Watts, Alf Fryer, Dick Jarman. P.C. A. Hill, and A. Jenkins. Cross Keys Back, Bacon (capt); f-backs. Garland, Brown, Moore, and Wrentmore; j-backs, Gunstone and A. Brown; for- wards, H. M. Williams, Pettiford, J. James, A. Morgan, Evans, Fisher, Petti- ford, and Jack .James. Half-time arrived with the honours being easv. o o o In the second half Jimmy Donovan scored an unconverted try. The home- sters scored again, but the point was dis- allowed on the plea of the ball having been" knocked on." Final score: Cross Keys, 1 dropped goal (4 points); Mountain Ash, 1 try (3 points). 000 Ynysybwl are going strong in" the Pontypridd and District Rugby Union this season. They had Abercvnon for their victims the other day, when the Bulls won the game by a dropped goal to love. Mr. R. A. Thomas, of Ynysy- bwl, who takes a leading part in the Rugger of that hamlet, presided over the Pontypridd Union's meeting the other dav. 0 0 0 As Cwmaman have already joined the League, the team's match against the Mountain Ash Reserves proved a cough drop for the Cwmamanites. The Aber- jennar second stringers won the game Trandsomely, and on. their present form they will take a lot of beating in this Union as they did in the Aberdare and District League. 000 In answer to a correspondent, J.R., I wish to state that cthe Mountain Ash Stars won the Ah'Ydare and District League Championship after beating Cefn- pennar United at the Aberdare Athletic Grounds on a Monday7 afternoon. Cefn- pennar won the trophy the following year, and the Aberaman Cynon Stars the following season. The Cup was won last season by the Mountain Ash Reserves. ABERAMAN & DISTRICT FOOTBALL. In the competition for the HGlamora" Cup, open to Thursday teams, the Aber- aman Mid-weekers have been drawn to play against Ton Pentre. The match will be played on the latter's ground on Nov. 25th. 000 The Aberaman. Wanderers (Glamorgan League) team were at home on Saturday last to Pengam United. For the home- sters the following team lined out: Goal, Harry Rees; backs, Jim Williams and Tom Cumner; halves, T. Sheppard, C. Silverthorn, and Dick Samuels; forwards, George Key, Charlie Williams, Bert Har- ries, David Davies, and W. Clarke. Mr. A. V. Jarman, Cwmbach, was referee. Aberaman pressed in the opening stages of the game, though the Pengam players offered a stubborn defence. After 17 minutes play, Charlie Williams scored for the homesters. Give and take play followed, but the position of the teams remained unchanged at half-time, when the Wandereds led by one goal to nil. 000 Both sides opened the second half with determined play, though the rain spoiled the possibility of combined movements. As the game wore on, the homesters gained advantage, and three more goals were added to their score. The negotia- tors were: Charlie Williams (2) and Wat Clarke (1). Final score: Aberaman, 4 goals; Pengam, nil. The players who shone for Aberaman were Charlie Wil- liams, B. Harries, W. Clarke, Sheppard, and the two backs, whilst the goal- keeper was also safe. They have now won 4 matches out of a possible 5 in the Glam. League. 0 0 0 PLAYERS WALK OFF THE FIELD. Whilst the premier team of the Wan- derers were doing duty at Michael's field, the Aberdare League team journeyed to Mountain Ash, where they encountered the Recreation team. Tom Finn (their captain) renounced his position in the Glam. League team in order to assist in this match for the day. The side turned out as follows: Goal, Ben Munday; backs, Edwin and Tom Batten; halves, M. MacCarthy, T. Finn, and W. Hillier; forwards, R. Vater, Penry Williams, E. Hillier, Yorath Williams, and Jack Masters. Mr. J. Forey took charge of the game. The goal-keepers, in particular, cleared their lines well, one rush being stopped in admirable fashion bv Ben Munday. The backs had been passed, and three opposing forwards had the ball at their feet when he plunged fearlessly for it and made an amazing save. The Wanderers' forwards then went at it in unstoppable style, and Jack Masters put in a shot which found the net. This was the only score up to half-time. 0 0 0 In the second half unexpected trouble arose. Mountain Ash put in an equalis- ing shot. Matters went very well up till now, and no friction whatever had oc- curred. The struggle became keener, however, and each side tried to draw ahead. During a rush by the home for- wards, the ball was sent to the Wander- ers' full-backs, and Tom Finn mis- kicked. In his endeavour to recover the leather, and to ward off an opposing for- ward from the goalkeeper, he was charged down. The forward in question fell over him, and the referee, evidently thinking that Finn was impeding the other player's progress, awarded a penal- ty kick. Finn promptly appealed against this decision, maintaining that the visi- tors should have been allowed a free kick on account of the original charge which put him to the floor. There was no al- teration in the referee's decision; and Finn forthwith took his men off the field about ten minutes before time. This abrupt termination was totally unlooked for by the spectators, and the Recreation team were left to kick the penalty goal without any opposition being offered. 000 At the Ynys Meadow, Cwmbach, a match was played between Cwmbach Crescents and Ystradmynach. The re- feree was Mr. Tom Davies, Cefncoed, and the Cwmbach linesman Mr. D. J. Davies. The Cwmbach team comprised the following: Goal, J. Howells; backs, o n arw^ J- Davies; half-backs, S. Richards, J. P. Jones, and J. Mathews; forwards, T. Edwards, D. Davies, W. Jones, J. Evans, and C. Gilbert. The homesters scored twice through C. Gil- bert. Cwmbach also scored through W. Jones. Richards, for the homesters, put in a long shot which found the net. Cwmbach were awarded a penalty just before half-time, but failed to net. Half- time score: Cwmbach Crescents, 4 goals; Ystradmynach, nil. Cwmbach scored early in the second half through Dick Davies. They secured another penalty, this time through Morgan Lloyd. The final score was: Cwmbach Crescents, 6 goals; Ystradmynach, 1 goal. 000 Aberaman C.L.B. v. Abernant. The Church Lads entertained the Abernant team at the Aberaman Park on Saturday last in a league contest. Referee, Mr. Bressington. The Church Lads were given the biggest surprise of the season. In the first moiety they registered the first goal of the match through. Tom Gough at right half. Half-time score: Brigade, 1 goal; Abernant, nil. In the second moiety the Church Lads seemed to have lost all energy and interest in the game. Abernant registered three good goals. This is the first match the Bri- gade have lost. Final score: Abernant, 3 goals; Church Lads, 1 goal. BY "AVANDEPER." At a meeting of the Aberdare and Dis- trict Junior Football League held at the Lasib and Flag Inn, Aberaman, on Wed- nesday evening, Mr. Bressington, who officiated as referee in the match between Mountain Ash Recreation XI. and Jubi- lee Rovers on the Saturday previous, re- ported that he had been obliged to order Parkes, one of the Mountain Ash men, off the field for rough play. He had also to send off J. Parkes, one of the lines- men, for his continual interference while the game was in progress. The meeting decided that the matter should be re- ported to the South Wales Association, with which body the League is connected. The following transfers were approved of: H. Thomas from Mountain Ash Cru- saders to the Recreation XI.; W. Jenkins and R. C. Brayshaw from Aberdare Ter- ritorials to Aberdare Crescents; Charles Rees from Jubilee Rovers to Aberaman Windsors; W. C. Morgan and E. Morgan from Aberdare Crescents to Jubilee Rovers. 000 Aberdare Schoolboys' Football League. Park v. Cwmdare.—These teams lined out uhder the charge of Mr. W. Stephens at the Athletic Grounds on Saturday morning. In the first half of the game D. J. Elias scored for the Comin lads, while in the second half Joaes and D. Davies kicked goals in their favour. In the latter half T. Thomas scored for I Cwmdare. Final: Park, 3 goals; Cwm- dare, 1 goal. a a d Town School v. St. Fagan's. These teams also met at the Athletic Grounds, the game resulting in a win for the Town School. Marsh scored in the first half for the victors, and Tom Evans netted in the second moiety. St. Fagan's obtained I a goal as the result of a penalty. Final: I Town School, 2 goals; St. Fagan's, 1. The referee was Mr. W. Watkins. Q 0 0 I Intermediate v. Higher Grade.—This game, in which Mr. J. M. S. James offici- ated as referee, proved a very interesting one. The Gradians did their scoring in the first half through D. Harvey and E. Jones. The County School showed im- proved form in the second portion of the I game, and obtained a goal through S. Williams. Final: Higher Grade, 2 goals; Intermediate, 1 goal. a O v o The following have been successful in the recent Referee's Examination (Class C) held at Aberdare under the auspices of the South Wales Association: Messrs. W. J. Parker, T. Williams, D. W. Davies, Georgie King, G. Williams, W. S. Evans, W. Davies, B. Rees, and H. Rees. ABERDARE SCHOOLBOYS' LEAGUE. Matches for October 16. 10 a.m.—Ynyslwyd v. Aman; referee, Mr J. Thomas. 10 a.m.—Cwmbach Nl. v. Aberaman; Mr. D. B. Jones (Park). lia.m.-Town National v. Blaengwawr; Mr. W. J. Harries. 11 a.m.—Cwmbach Council, v. Capcoch; Mr. Edwards (Park). 12.15—North Trial Match; Mr J. Havard. Team A: W. Thomas (Town Council), J. Jenkins, Williams (Higher Grade), Stanton and Harvey (H.G.), E. Phil- lips (Town CL), McKenzie (Park), Evan Jones and Oliver (H.G.), Elias and Davies (Park). B. Team: Mills (H.G.), Adams (Park), Williams (Cwmdare), Morgan (Cwm- dare), R. Hill (St. Fagan's), Pugsley., (H.G.), Walters (H.G.), E. J. Thomas, T. Hill (St. Fagan's), Thomas (Cwm- dare), Cross (Town Council). ABERCYQNON FOOTBALL. BY "BACK." On Saturday last Abercynon enter- tained Mountain Ash Juniors in a league match at Abercvnon. The teams fielded thus: —Mountain Ash: Back, H. Stokes; l-backs, G. Rogers, W. Thomas, M. Ash- wood, E. Bradford; ^-backs, Phillips (capt.) and Farrow; forwards, E. Roach, T. Warren, E. Griffiths, Morgan, G. Higgs, W. Evans, David Edwards, W. Williams. Abercynon: Back, Jim Smith; J-backs, Owen Jones, W. Jones, W. Jenkins, D. R. Morgan; 1-backs, Tosh Phillips (capt.) and H. Jones; forwards, R. Trevethan, C. Stone, W. Phillips, J. Jones, W. Lewis, T. Davies, T. Rogers, T. Lewis. Referee, Mr. R. Thomas, Ynysybwl. From a scrum near the Mount line, Hugh Jones romped over with a try, which Lewis failed to con- vert. Final score: Abercynon, 3 points; Mountain Ash, nil. 000 The game was interesting from begin- ning to end, and both teams played with determination to secure the two points. At forward line the Cynonites excelled. The backs played well. Bradford, Far- row, Phillips, Ashwood, and Edwards were the shining lights on the visitors side, while H. Jones, Tosh Phillips, Stone, Rogers, Trevethan, and Phillips were great for the Cynonites. Jim Smith was safe at back.

What Aberdare Credits.

.. ------Aberaman and District…