Hide Articles List

15 articles on this Page







THE PRINCE JA JA IN COLLISION. '7 A PASSENGER KILLED. On Thursday afternoon a telegram was received at Carnarvon from Liverpool from the mate of the Prince Ja Ja to the effect that the vessel had beeu in collision, that he was safe, and that he knew nothiug about the steamer nor the rest of the crew. Naturally this intelligence caused great ex- citement, as nearly all, if not all the crew, belong to the town. A number of t ie men's relatives were seen weeping in the streets, and much sym- pathy was expressed with them by the passers-by. Happily, later in the day, a further telegram was received stating that the Prince Ja Ja had ar- rived at Beaumaris, having been in collision, and that the mate was i:iissing. It appears that the collision occurred a! >ut four o'clock on Thursday morning, during a u.-nse fog, at a point somewhere between Crosby Lightship and the Rock Light- house at New Brighton, just outside the port of Liverpool. The City of Dublin Steampacket Co.'s steam "Wicklow," which left the North Wall, Dublin, on Wednesday night, with a full comple- ment of passengers, reached the Mersey bar be- tween three and four o'clock on Thursday morning. A dense fog had by this time settled down over the estuary, and, her engines having been slowed down, the "Wicklow" proceeded very slowly to- wards Liverpool. Suddenly another steamer, the Prince Ja Ja," bound for Carnarvon, loomed out of the fog and collided with the "Wicklow," striking her on the starboard quarter and stbving in her bow. Immediately after the impact the vessels parted, and for a time it was believed that the "Prince Ja Ja" had gone down," the fog being so thick that her movements could not be seen, but it was afterwards discovered that she had survived the collision, although she was found to have been seriously damaged about the bows. Among the steerege passengers on board the Wicklow were a man named Charles O'Brien, of Limerick, and his wife They were sitting in the forecastle, taking tea, at the time of the accident, the man being seated close to the side of the ship where the Ja Ja struck. So violent was the impact that the iron plates of the Wicklow curled inwards, and, encircling O'Brien, crushed him in a dreadful manner. The screams of the un- fortunate man's wife soon brought assistance, but it was with the greatest difficulty that he was ex- tricated from the coil of twisted plate by which he I was held. O'Brien was found to have been ter- ribly injured, and he died in the course of half an hour. Mrs O'Brien sustained some flight cuts j about the limbs, and on the arrival of the Wick- low at Liverpool she had her injuries attended to at the Northern Hospital. The man was a sailor, and was going to Liverpool in search of employ- ment. The Wicklow did not reach the landing stage until between 12 and 1 o'clock on Thursday, having anchored for several hours outside after the collision, in consequence of the density of the fog. The Ja Ja arrived in Carnarvon with the early morning tide on Friday. There was a great hole in the upper part of the bow, entirely elear of the water, and about a third of the foremast had been broken off. Captain Anderson, the master, refused to be interviewed with regard to the matter. The vessel steamed to Liverpool on Saturday, in order to be repaired. OPENING OF THE CORONER'S INQUIRY. Mr T. E. Sampson, Liverpool city coroner, on Saturday opened an inquiry into the death of C. O'Brien, agaed forty one years, able seaman, who lost his life on Thursday last, in consequence of the collision.-Mary O'Brien deposed that deceased was her husband, and up to a fortnight ago they lived in Frederick street, Limerick. Her husband being out of wcrk, they decided to go to Liver- pool, thinking that he would have a better chance of getting employment. They accordingly left Dublin on Wednesday evening last on the steamer Wicklow," as steerage passengers. Her husband was injured in the collision with the Prince Ja Ja," and he died as a consequence of those injuries. —Police-constable 274A (Harper) then gave evidence as to the removal of the body to the Prince's Dock mortuary, and the inquiry was ad- journed until to-day (Thursday).—Mr Bateson appeared for the owners of the Prince Ja Ja," and the City of Dublin Steamship Company was j represented by Mr Birkett.









Family Notices