Hide Articles List

25 articles on this Page





















THE MUMBLES LIFE- BOAT DISASTER. RESUMED INQUEST. Mr Coroner Stuck resumed an inquest at the Mermaid Hotel, Mumbles, Swansea, on Tuesday evening, upon the bodies of John Jenkins and Wm. Jenkins, two members of the lifeboat crew wrecked on Saturday, and also on the body ef John Auguste Kehberg, carpenter of the vessel Admiral Prinz Adalbert, which stranded near the Mumbles Lighthouse on the same day. Captain La Primandaye, of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, and Mr Young, the local secretary, were present. Abraham Ace, the Mumbles Lighthouse-keeper, said that about nine o'clock on Saturday morning lie saw the Admiral Prinz Adalbert coming up the Channel, apparently unmanageable. At this time a steam tug was playing about" her. He could not say whether the tug was fast to the stumer when he first saw them, but at half-past nine they were certainly not connected. At tins time the vessel was half a mile from the Mixer, and he felt positive that she would strike, as she was drifting. Everything was then got ready for the purpose of saving life. He saw the captain let his anchor go at 20 minutes past ten, the vessel then being dose in under Lhe Mumbles Head. The two topsails were up with the object of backing the ship, but shs struck upon the Mumbles K'jck. Witness then immediately saw the lifeboat come out from one of thf Sounds. Judging from tha position of the ship, he thought there was great danger of the crew being washed overboard. She could not ha.ve been in greater danger. The sea was breaking over the ship very high there was a. tremendous ground sea, on, a.nd she bumped a. good deal. The mast fell over the side to the eastward on the rock. Witness sav/ a. Una between the lifeboat and the ship, s-nd noticed two men endeavour to leave the vessel by that means. .A. tremendously hca\'y sea thell went right over the barque and the boat, turning the latter over. She righted herself, a.nd as soon as the spray cleared away, witness saw one man alongside of her and tha others in the sea. and on the rocks. He did not see any men actually in the lifeboat after she It-id capsized. She then went through the. "g\ltter" \vith this one ill::m beside her, he beinsr entangled. There were, lie thought, four or five of the lifeboat men on the rocks, and they walked to the lighthouse when the tide receded. Uf in the water, witness, his two daughters, and an artHIeryHtan, saved two by heaving a rope to them. Another man, William Jenkins, caught hold of a line which was thrown to him, but he failed to retain his grip. Witness saw the body of John Jenkins floating in the water. The lifeboat drifted through the Sound and sbpned close to the steps by which the lighthouse rock is ascended. The tug which witness saw near the barque left her an hour before -:ho sLruck, of this he was positive. The tug did not appear to take any notice whatever of the vessel. Witness saw one rocket fired from the apparatus, but it failed to reach the ship. He did not know where the rocket apparatus was fired from. It could have been taken on to the lighthouse rock in a. boat. He believed all did their utuiust to save life. He considered that after the mast went over the crew of the vessel would have been safer on board than in the lifeboat. The tide was then receding. In reply to Mr Young, the witness said that the captain of the tug could have greatly assisted the lifeboat by passing a rope to her. In reply to a juryman, witness said that the msn thrown out of the lifeboat were anoat for 10 minutes. The artillerymen behaved bravely. There was no foundation for the report which placed their conduct in another light. Their was no telegraphic communication between the lighthouse and Mumbles village. John Thomas Bredger, Mumbles, one of the crew of the lifeboat, said that, after being knocked out of the boat, he swam out to sea, being afraid of the He heard someone say, "Haul In the rope," and, upon looking round and seeing that the boat had righted herself, he re- turned, and again got in her. Shortly afterwards she was struck by a second sea. Ho was again knocked cut, and a sacond time back to the boat. He then laid hold of her, and so remained till he was rescued by a soldier. When he went out in the lifeboat he saw the tug Flying Scud to I the windward of the vessel. A man on board the tug held up a rope to them, but one of the crew of the lifeboat said, Don't attend to that; you have got enough to do to look after your oar. He could not say how far oS the tug was ? at that time. By a Juryman Had the steamer passed a rope to the lifeboat, the crew might have been saved. Captain R.)-'scr, owner of the Flying Scud, re- marked that the strain tug was bound to go ahead, and had she given a rope to the lifeboat she would have pulled her away, and removed the chance of her saving life. Wm. Harvey, master of the Flying Scud steam tug, said that just at break of day on Saturday ha sa.v/ two barques hove too, about five miles from PwMdu. Ho went to the bigger one, the Admiral Prinz Adalbert. The captain said he was bound for Swansea, to which witness replied, "Hard up, and follow me, and you will get in this tide- This occurred between t:even and eight o'clock. The captain gave orders in accordance with witness's advice, the foresail, foro;;tay-sail, and jib being set to keep the ship av. ay. Finding the ship did not keep away, witness turned round and asked the captain why he did not run up after him, to which he replied that his hchn was hard up al! the time. The ship, however, would not pny off at alt. Witness again wont away, and seeing the ship did not follow, turned a second time, when he saw the captain beckoning him. The latter said, "Will you pull myship'a bow round?" To which witness said, Yes, on condition I will tow your bow round for JE500." The captain then directed his crew to give witnesa a rope, and one of seven inches was thrown to him. They then went a-head, but the ropo parted after they had gone over t'.vo or three seas. A rope of 13 inches was then handed to him, and they pro- ceeded along, but the second rope also bruke after they had experienced four or 6 ve seas. The ship then drifted on towards the land. The rope on board the tug was a small and short one, which it was no use to give to the vessel. The sea was very high. Witness, seeing that he could do no more, blew his whistle, ran up to the Mumbles Head, and signalled for the lifeboat. Ho then returned to the vessel, and drifted up with her close to her stern. He saw the two anchors let go, and observed the vessel strike her stern swing- ing round on to the Mumbles Head. The Srst blow unshippcd the rudder. Witness saw the lifeboat come out, and one of his men held up a rope to the lifeboat, but no notice was taken of it. He considered that the lifeboat ought not to have gone where she was, considering the t-ea. The inquiry w.(h again adjourned. At a meeting held at the Mumbles Schoolroom, on Monday evening, the Vicar of Oystermouth m the chair, .6170 was collected on behalf of the sufferers from ths calamity. It was also decided to ask the local banks to receive subscriptions. Ceorge Jenkius is still alive, but lies in a criti- cal state. It appears from what transpired at to ask the local banks to receive subscriptions. Ceorge Jenkius is still alive, but lies in a criti- cal state. It appears from what transpired at the inquest on Tuesday that some statement has been made in a Swansea paper attributing want of courage to two artillerymen at the Mumbles. It sliould be understood that there is no founda- tion whatever for the aspersion.