Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page



[No title]









SERIOUS COLLIERY ACCI- DENT AT TREORKY. SNAPPING OF TWO WINDING ROPES 50 COLLIERS ENTOMBED. MIRACULOUS ESCAPES. TREORKY, Tuesday.—To-day, between 12 and one o'clock, a very serious accident occurred at Tylacoch Colliery, the owners of which are Mr Thomas Jones, of Maindy House, Forth, and a limited company. Mr Thomas Thomas, Treorky, a gentleman of great experience in mining matters, aud author of the article, Coal Dust in Mines* and its Abatement," which appeared in the columns of the South Wales Daily News some months ago, is the certificated manager, with Mr John Jones (brother of one of the proprietors) aud Mr David Evans acting as overmen. The colliery is situated within a hundred yards of the Treorky HaiJway Station. The pit is about 140 yards in depth, and lias been in operation foe a number of years—in fact, it is one of the oldest collieries in the district, and is even now known as The colliery," although it is surrounded by many others. At the above-stated time on Tues- day the engineman (Daniel Jones) was signalled by the banksman on the pit's mouth to "wind up." This the engineman did with the usual caution when starting, but the cage at the bottom of the pit, which contained a full tram of coal, had not been wound many yards up before a tre- mendous crash was heard, and the engine was immediately seen by those on the pit's mouth to be reversing and going at a terrific rate. In » couple of seconds the end of the rope, which was attached to the cage at the bottom, was at the pit's mouth, being twisted about in a terrible manner owing to the iate at which the engine was going. In as many seconds more the tail end of the other ropa which was attached to the down-going cane, con- taining an empty tram, was seen to be in the same condition as the other rope, and those around the pit's mouth immediately knew that both the ropes had snapped. They all made a hasty re- treat, as their lives were in great danger. The: ends of the two ropes were playing about with great velocity, knocking large pieces of timber out ot place, and doing havoc amongst the woodwork in the vicinity of the pit's mouth. Fears were en- tertained tor the safety of the engineman, as the engine was still going at the same terrible speed, and the end of the two ropes had by this time boen drawn in the engine- house. It could be heard knocking against the iron roofing. The noise it thus created greatly- resembled loud thunder claps, and it was heard » considerable distance away. After the lapse 01 a few minutes, Mr Thomas, tho manager, came am the scene, and immediately had the presence of mind and courage—as it was with considerable risk only it could be done—to run to the boiler- shed and there turn off the steapn by which the engine was worked. This he successfully did. aad the engine in a few seconds afterwards slackened speed and ultimately stopped altogether. Mr Thomas, accompanied by the banksman, Rees Evans, and others then entered the engine-house, where they fully expected to find the mangled re- mains of the engineman, but strange to relate— and although the machinery was twisted about in all manner of shapes, great pieces of timber constituting beams being broken almost into matchwood, and the iron roof looking as if il had been riddled with bullets—they found tht. enginoman Jones safe and sound, crouching in s corner. He said he was standing on a chair near the valve when the first rope broke, and he, was aJmost immediately afterwards knocked off,, and the rope afterwards broke tlie throttle valve, which no doubt caused the engine to go at such < terrific rate. Attention was then directed to- wards those at the bottom of the pit, and it was soon ascertained that nobody was injured there, and that the two cages lay at the bottom of t.M pit, greatly injured. The colliers working at the facings, which is aboot a mile from the mA" torn of the pit, were as sotm as possible acquainted with the accident, and they then proceeded to- gether to the bottom of the air pit. They were there for nearly four hours before they could be brought up. Great crowds of pfcople were abettt the pit's mouth waiting for the colliers ti, be brought out, which was successfully done tor means of A bowk. Sergeant Chalk and P.C.« Probert and Lewis were on the spot to maintain Order. It will take some days before matters t8ø.\ be put right, as great damage has been ddna lo1 the engine and engine-house.

[No title]