Hide Articles List

15 articles on this Page




THE GREAT STORM. ] WRECKS AT SWANSEA, PORTHCAWL, AND PENARTH. TERRIBLE LOSS OF LIFE. SWANSEA LIFEBOAT DASHED TO PIECES. The Grower coast was visited on Saturday with a fearful gale, which unfortunately resulted in the loss of a large number of human lives and many thousands of pounds' worth of property. The barque Admiral Prinz Adalbert, belonging to Dantzic, in Germany, and commanded by Capt. L. Liebauer, was bound from Rochefort, in France, to Swansea, with a cargo of 990 tons of pitwood, consigned to Mr. James Davies, timber merchant, of the last-named port. She had a crew of six- teen hands, all told. At half-past eight in the morning she was abreast of the Mumbles Head, and it was noticed that she had a good offing. At nine o'clock she was seen to be half a mile to the west of the Bell Buoy. The buoy is a mile from tho Mumbles Head, so that at this time she was far enough from the shore to be out of danger. Some of her spars had been carried away, but with that exception she did not seem to have been damaged by the gale. The Prinz Adalbert got ashore on the Mixon Sands shortly after nine o'clok. The rocket apparatus was fired, but the vessel could not be reached in this way, and the lifeboat was launched as soon as possible. She was manned by Jenkin Jenkins, sen., coxswain, Jenkin .Jenkins, j'm., Richard (Jenkins, W. Rosser, John Williams, John Thomas, George Jenkins, Tom Michael, George Davis, David John Morgan, John Jenkins, second coxswain, Wm. Macnamara, Wm. Jenkins, and Wm. Rogers. When she approached the barque she threw out a lead line and hauled one man on board. A second man was diawn into the boat in the same way, and as the third was being pulled in a fearful sea swept over the ship and the boat. Hundreds of peorle were at this time standing on the headland watch- ing, and they saw the lifeboat dasiied with great violence against the side of the barque. The gunwale of the boat was smashed and all the crew were thrown out. One—John WiJliams-was thrown on to the deck of the barque, and the others into the sea. At the same time the line parted, and the carpenter, who was fastened to it, was drowned. The people who were looking on while this sad scene was being enacted were quite powerless to render aid. and could only cry out and wring their hands in pity. The tugboat was standing by inactive, and though the spectators shouted an appeal to her crew to help the gallant men who were perishing in the causo of humanity she made no response, and remained a passive witness of the calamity. When the lifeboat upset the 3econd coxswain and another of the crew were struck on the head and drowned immediately. Five others got back into the boat. One of them—George Davies—jumped overboard again with the intention of swimming ashore, and was thrown on the rocks by the sea. The others man tged to bring the lifeboat around into the bay, and when they reached the shore it was found that one of their number, William Jenkins, had been drowned while coming through the surf. The poor fellow had fastened his death- grip on the gunwale of the boat, and was clinging fast to it when it was discovered that he was dead. Subsequently it was ascertained that three more of those who manned the lifeboat had been drowned. Those who were saved either swam or waded ashore through the breakers, and the crew of the barque reached the land in the same way. Nearly all the lifeboat men were cut and bruised very much. The following are the names of the men who were DROWNED. John Jenkins, second coxswain, who has left a widow and six children. William Mack, widow and four children. William Jenkins, widow and two children. Wilham Rogers, widow and seven children. — Rehberg, carpenter, belonging to Dantzic, widow ai d two children. Mrs. Wright and Miss Ace, the daughters of the lighthouse keeper, were the means of saving two of the men's lives. The heroic women tied two shawls together, and went into the water up to their waist, on the rocks, and threw the shawls to two of the men who were fast sinking, and rescued them. The three masts of the barque were carried away by one sea, and she was left by the tide lying on her side on the rocks at the back of the Mumbles Head Lighthouse. Two of the bodies, those of the two Jenkinses, were afterwards found in Bob's Cave, very much cut and bruised by the hard vocks. The carpenter's bodv was washed ashore near the stranded vessel. George Jenkins was taken out of Bob's Cave alive, but teriibly in- jured. Both his legs are smashed, and his scalp is torn nearly off, and he is not expected to recover. He is a married man, and has three children. Old Jenkin Jenkins, the first coxswain, was sadly knocked about. His family are the greatest sutierera by the dire catas- trophe. The two Jenkinses who were drowned ¡ and the two who were saved were his sons, and Macnamara, another of those who perished, was his son-in-law. Poor Mack." as he was gerieruiy called, was not one of the lifeboat crew, but the boat was not sufficiently manned, and he volun- teered to go out in her on what proved to be his first and last expedition. He leaves seven children, the eldest being not more than ten years old, whilst the youngest are twins, who were born only a few weeks ago. THE INQUEST. The inquest on the bodies of John Jenkins and William Jenkins, two of the four members of the crew of the Mumbles Lifeboat, who were drowned in attempt- ing to rescue the crew of the Prussian barque Admiral Prinz Adalbert on Saturday, and Peter August Rehberg, the carpenter of the barque, who was also drowned, was opened at the Mermaid Hotel, Mumbles, on Monday afternoon, before Mr. Edward Strick, coroner. Captain Kaprimandaye, R.N., inspector of lifeboats, watched the inquiry. The Coroner, at the commencement of the pro- ceedings, said this was one of the most melan- choly calamities which had happened in this dis- trict within his recollection. John Williams, dredger, gave evidence as to the identity of the bodies of John Jenkins and William Jenkins. He said they were both his cousins, and both dredgers, like himself. John was 37 years of age, and he was the second cox- swain. William was 35 years of age. Witness was himself one of the lifeboat crew on this occasion. The boat had been got out of the house when he saw it, which was about ten o'clock on Saturday morning. He was told there was a vessel ashore on the Jutt Rocks. The crow consisted of thirteen men. (Their names have already been published.) They took the boat through the inner sound and saw the barque. The wind was blowing a perfect gale. The barque let go her anchor, but the chain broke, and she went on to the lighthouse rock. She bumped until the mast was bumped out of her, and then she lay quiet. The lifeboat went to windward of the vessel and let go her anchor, which held for a time. The anchor was attached to a four-inch rope, which was nearly new. They tried to heave a line to the vessel in order to get the men into the lifeboat. The boat was then 20 to 30 yards to windward of the barque, and the latter hove a lifebuoy over- board which was dragged into the boat. The boat then sent a line to the vessel, which was made fast. They fastened another line to the first one, and that was sent to the ship. By those means they got two of the crew into the boat. They were in the act of hauling in the third—the carpenter who was drowned—when the sea came and parted the line attached to the boat's anchor. Witness was washed on to the deck of the vessel, which was about 30ft. above the level of the boat. The next thing he saw was Jenkin Jenkins and George Jenkins swimming astern of the barque. Witness remained on the vessel until the tide ebbed away, when he walked ashore. The crew of the vessel got ashore in the same way. The boat was properly equipped. He heard no discussion as to whether it was prudent to anchor to windward of the vessel. His uncle, the first coxswain, called out to him, "Let go the anchor, Johnny," and he did so. He thought they rode at anchor for about three quarters of an hour. He could not see w ha.t else could ha. ve been done to protect the boat. When he was on board the barque he saw the lifeboat on top of the rocks. The coxswain was then standing on the rocks, and witness saw him go to his son, John Jenkins, who was lying dead lower down on the rocks. He saw George Jenkins on the rocks twice, and tho sea took him off again. Witness cried out to the people on the land to go down and pick him up, but they did not appear to hear him. Jenkin Jenkins, senior, was bleeding very much from the head. The tug- boat Flying Scud was standing by when the boat dropped her anchor, but she went away before the line parted. They did not hail the tug, because they would not have been heard. The tug might have been of great assistance. The boat might have been fastened to her by another line, and when the first line broke she might have towed the boat in. Witness saw George Jenkins washed into Bob's Cave. The lifeboat afterwards floated be- tween the sounds into smooth water, and then some men from the shore sent a rope from her to the tugboat, and she was towed in. He had seen the boat since, and noticed that the bottom on the port side had been stove in, and the gunwale on the 8taiV>oard side was broken out. The reason the boat stayed by the vessel was that they thought s^ would go to pieces every moment, the sea was ruling so high, and they could not wait for the tide-to recede. While the boat was at anchor he thought the cable was chafing on the rock. He couVj not say how far from the anchor the rope parted. A Juryman: Vrhy did the tugboat leave you when you were Vi trouble ? Why I cannot say, sir. The Coroner: We toav hear something more of that. Ludwig Leibaner, of Dantzic, master of th4 Prussian barque AdnArai Prinz Adalbert, ol Dantzic, said he was bound from Rochefort to Swansea. About twelve o'clock on Friday night he was off Caldy. it was then blowing very hard from W. by N. and W.N.W. He blew a flare as a signal for a pilot, but no one came. From four to seven o'clock on Saturday morning his vessel was hove to on the port tack He was then in the middle of the Channel. About eight o'clock in the morning a tugboat hailed him, and he gave her a rope immediately. He tried to wear his ship round, but failed. He was then seven or eight miles from the Mumbles. The first rope Le gave her was a 9in. jjgtwser, but it n !h about 50 minutes. Il'iien he gave her a 14in. hawser, whic! I irted immediately. He then let go hi I ort anchor, and had paid out about 50 fathoms c' I chain cable when it parted. He let go the star- I board anchor, but that did not hold. It did not check her at all. and she drifted on the rocks. The lifeboat came out and anchored to windward of the barque. In his judgment she could not have done anything better. Witness gave an account of the disaster to the lifeboat, which was the same as that given bv the previous witness. When tho tugboat hailed witness, the captain asked," Will you give £ 500?" and witness replied, "Here's the rope." A Juryman: Did the tugboat offer you her rope after she parted your two? Witness: No, she did not. She went away then. Another Juryman Did you not consider jESOOan exorbitant sum ? Witness: Well, 1 was in danger, and had to give it. The Coroner: Was there time enough for her to have given you another rope ?—Witness Yes. A Juryman Then you consider the tugboat did not do her duty ?—Witness: I think so. By the Coroner When the cable parted the tug blew her whistle and went, away, and witness had then no alternative but to put out his other anchor. By the Jury: When he let go his first anchor he was about a mile from where he struck. If the boat's cable had not. parted she would not have been upset. By the Coroner: He knew his vessel would not have gone to pieces with the fall of the tide. When he knew the tide was falling he felt they were not in danger of losing their lives. When the boat was alongside he did not know what danger there WHS. He advised the carpenter not to go in the boat because he wanted the boys to go first. Had all the others gone into the boat would you have remained on your vessel ? Well, I cannot say. I would stop on board so long as I could, and if I was drowned I would not care. Tom Rosser, one of the lifeboat crew, who ap- peared with his head bandaged, said he saw the baroue between eight and half-past eight o'clock. She was then about six miles brlow the Mumbles Head. The tugboat was going to her. Witness saw her again about half- past nine, when she was half a mile or so off the Jutt. at the back of the Mumbles Head. She waf inside the Nixon, and was heading straight for the land. Witness and a coxswain then launched the lifeboat, and when they got to the inner sound the vessel had just gone on the rocks. Witness confirmed what the captain had said about the movements of the boat. He added that he knew they-had a rocky bottom, but it did not occur to him that the cable would chafe. When the sea struck the hoat several of the crew were thrown out. but five remained in, and the boat righted herself. Witness was one of the five. After she had righted the coxswain sang out, "Haul in the how rope" (the cable). They did not know the cable had parted but when they pulled it in they discovered the fact. Witness then looked round and saw the coxswain and the second coxswain in the boat bleeding from the head. The boat'was then under the stern of the vessel, and another sea came and knocked her over. She turned, and witness was stall in her. Before she was struck the second time witness and the coxswain hauled William Macnamara into her. After the second time she was knocked over two or three times in a very short period. Witness was thrown out on the third time, and carried on to the rock3. Ace, the lighthouse keeper, and his two daughters threw him a rope. and pulled him up. He did not see Macnamara after the third time the boat was struck. He did not see John Jenkins after the second time. Nothing could have been dono to save life except what was done, as far as wit- ness could see. The lifeboat was got ready and the crew were in her in less than a quarter of an hour. The inquiry was at this stage adjourned until half-past four on Tuesday afternoon. The inquiry was at this stage adjourned until half-past four on Tuesday afternoon. Mr. Coroner Strick resumed' the inquiry at the Mermaid Hotel, Mumbles, Swansea, on Tuesday evening, upon the bodies of John Jenkins and William Jenkins, two members of the lifeboat crew wrecked on, Saturday, and also upon the body of John Auguste Rehberg, carpenter of the vessel Admiral Prinz Adalbert, which stranded near the Mumbles Lighthouse on the same day. Captain La Primandaye, of the Royal National Lifeboat Insti- tute,. and Mr. Young, the local secretary, were present. Abraham Ace, the Mumbles Lighthouse keeper, said that about nine o'clock on Saturday morning he saw the Admiral Prinz Adalbert com- ing up the channel apparently unmanageable. At this time a steam tug was playing about" her. He could not say whether the tug was fast to the steamer when he first saw them, but at half- past nine they were certainly not connected. At this time the vessel was half a mile from the Mixen, and he felt positive that she would strike as she was drifting. Everything was then got ready for the purpose of saving life. He saw the captain let his anchor go at twenty minutes past ten, the vessel then being close in under the Mumbles Head. The two topsails were up, with the object of backing the ship, but she struck upon the Mumbles Rock. Witness then immediately saw the iifeboat come out from one of the sounds. Judging from the position of the ship, he thought there was great danger of the crew being washed ovoiDoard. She could not have been in greater danger. The sea was breaking over rtie ship very high. There was a tremendous ground sea on, and she bumped a good deal. The mast fell over the side to the eastward on to the rock. Witness saw a line between the lifeboat and the ship, and noticed two men en- deavour to leave the vessel by that means. A tremendously heavy sea then went right over the barque and the boat, turning the latter over. She righted liej-self, and as soon as the spray cleared away witness saw one man alongside of her and the others in the sea and on the rock. He did not see any well actually in the lifeboat after she had capsized. She then went through the "gutter" with this one man beside her, he being entangled. There wefa. he thought, four or five of the lifeboat men on the rocks, and they walked across to the lighthouse when the tide receded. Of those in the water witness, his two daughers, and an artillery- man saved two by heaving a ropo to them. Another man, William Jonkins, caught hold of a line which was thrown to him, but he failed to retain his grip. Witness saw the body of John Jenkins floating in the water. The lifeboat drifted through the sound, and stopped close to the steps by which the Lighthouse Rock is ascended. The tug which witness saw near the barque left her an hour before she struck. Of this he was positive. The tug did not appear to take any notice whatever of the vessel. Witness saw one rocket fired from the apparatus, but it failed to reach the ship. He did not know where the rocket apparatus was tired from. It could have been taken on to the Lighthouse Rock in a boat. He believed all did their uttermost to save life. He considered that after the mast went over the crew of the vessel would have been safer on board than in the lifeboat. The tide was then receding. Answering Mr. Young, witness said that the captainof the tug could have greatly assisted the lifeboat by passing a rope to her. In reply to a juryman, witness said that the men thrown out of the lifeboat were afloat for ten minutes. The artillerymen behaved bravely. There was no foundation for the report which placed their conduct in another light. There was no telegraphic communication between the lighthouse and the Mumbles village. John Thomas, dredger, Mumbles, one of the crew of the lifeboat, whose right hand was bandaged, said that after being knocked out of the boat he swam out to sea, being afraid of the rocks. He heard someone say Haul in the rope," and, upon looking round and seeing that the boat had righted herself, he re- turned and again got in her. Shortly afterwards she was struck by another sea. He was again knocked out, and again swam back to the boat. He then laid hold of her, and so remained till lie was rescued by a soldier. When he went out in the lifeboat he saw the tug Flying Scud to the windward of the vessel. A man on board the tug held up a rope to them, but one of the crew of the lifeboat said, Don't attend to that; you have got enough to do to look after your oar." He could not say how far off the tug was at this time.—By a Juryman: Had the steamer passed a rope to the lifeboat the crew might have been saved. William Harvey, master of the Flying Scud, steamtug, said that just at break of day on Satur- day he saw two barques hove-to about five miles from Pwlldu. He went to the bigger one, the Ad- miral Prinz Adalbert. The captain said he was bound for Swansea, to which witness replied, "Hard up and follow me, and you will get in this tide." This occurred between seven and eight o'clock. The captain gave orders in accordance with witness's advice, the foresail, forestaysail, and jib being set to keep the ship away. Finding the ship did not keep away witness turned round and asked the captain why he did not run up after him, to which he replied that hiahelm was hard up all the time. The ship, however, would not pay off at all. Witness again went away, and seeing the ship did not follow, turned a second time, when he saw the captain beckoning him. The latter said, Will you pull my ship's bow round?" To which witness said Yes, on conditions. I will tow your bow round for £500," The captain then directed his crew to give witness a rope, and one of seven inches was thrown to him. They then went ahead, but the rope parted after they had gone over two or three seas. A rope of thirteen inches was then handed to him, and they proceeded along, but the second rope broke also after they had experienced four or five seas. The ship then drifted on towards the land. The rope on board the tug was a small and short one, which was no use to give to the vessel. The sea was very high. Witness, seeing that he could do no more, blew his whistle, ran up to the Mumbles Head and signalled for the lifeboat. He then re- turned to the vessel and drifted up with her close to her stern. lie saw the two anchors let go, and ob- served the vessel strike her stern, swinging round on to the Mumbles Head. The first blow un- shipped the rudder, witness saw the lifeboat come out, and one of his men held up a rope to the lifeboat, but no notice was taken of it. He consi- dered t iat the lifeboat ought not to have gone where she was, considenngthfl spa, IS „ c' ? 5s 3u'y at the inquiry into the *e four lifeboat men and the carpenter of the Admiral Pnnz Adalbert, who lost their lives by the 3 to the Mumbles lifeboat on Satur- re P a verdict of Accidental •fh 'tha J1? exPressed their sympathy tlhTe ftlVe3 °f the deceased, found great fault with the owners of the Flying Scud in not having proper tow ropes on board, capable of tow- ing shiPf. and censured the caputs of the Flying Scud and Hying Cloud for not rendering assistance to the lifeboat. 6 The Mayor of Swansea (Alderman E. Rice Daniel) presided over a weltattanded meeting which was held at the Guild-ballon Wednesday with the object of collecting subscriptions for the relief of the tour widows and 19 orphans of the four men. His Worship, in opening the proceedings, said he was given to understand that two of the widows were expected to be confined very soon, Mid one had two pairs of twins, the youngest pail being only three weeks old. He was »lso sorry to tear that George Jenkins was not expected to teeuver. He thought they should mart; their high appreciation of the heroic and gallant coadu^t of t.b::ae men by subscribing liberally towards a fand i 'or the maintenance of their widows and orphans, lie would, therefore, propose that a subscription list should be opened. The Mayor then read a letter from Mr. Henry Warren, Jury-street, Win- chester, enclosing a cheque for £3 3s., and another from Mr. Peter Gibbs, enclosing a sub- scription of 10s., and suggesting that the ministers of the district should give the proceeds of one Sunday's collection to the fund.—Alderman Ford seconded the motion, and said he would give a subscription of £1010s,-The Mayor said Alder- man Yeo had given £25, and he (the mayor) would give £10 10s.—Captain La Primaidaye, R.N., in- spector of lifeboats for the Royal National Lifeboat Institution, said these men did not lose their lives from any want of foresight or stint of equipment on the part of their society. The institution would do its duty towards the widows and children of these men, who had themselves done more than their duty, because they were all volunteers and were not paid for their services. He could not tell the exact amount the insti- tution would give—that would be settled at the next monthly meeting—but they always gave as liberally as the public generosity enabled them to give. Their contribution would probably be rather more than £100 per head for the men who were lost, and between £70 and £80 for those who were injured. Altogether it may be taken as between JE700 and £1,000. (Applause.) The motion was then carried, and it was further decided to apply part of the fund to the men who were injured. Mr. J. W. Islay Young, the local secretary of the Life- boat Institution, was appointed treasurer, and Mr. Robert Hancorn secretary.—The Mayor announced that the result of the meeting held at the Mumbles was that jE320 was collected.—Alderman Ford stated that Captain Bevan and his wife had collected from £8 to £10, and suggested that books should be supplied by the committee to all who applied for them with the object of collecting small sums.—The Seamen's Missionary said he had collected £1 15s. 6d. from the captain and crew of a large steamer, and he thought he should be able to get additional sub- scriptions from similar sources.—Mr.Tamlynstated that the Swansea pilots had started a subscrip- tion list among themselves.—A subscription list was handed round the room, and in a few minutes contributions amounting to £120 were set down on it. It was stated that. between £2,000 and £3,000 would be required. A vote of thanks to the mayor closed the proceedings. LOSS OF A STEAMER AND ALL HANDS IN PORT EYNON HAY. Early on Saturday morning a messenger arrived at the office of Lloyd's agents in Swansea—Messrs. James Strick and Sons, Gloucester-place—and re- ported that two steamers had been wrecked that morning in Port Evnon Bay, and that all hands had been drowned. Port Eynon is 16g miles dis- tant from Swansea, and there are no means of rapid communication with the place. The nearest railway station is Killay, and the nearest telegraph office Sketty, and as the former place is only four or five and the latter only two miles Erom Swansea, it will easily be seen that news from Port Eynon must necessarily travel slowly. The messenger in this case rode to Killay on horse- back and took the train there. As soon as his melancholy tidings were received Lloyd's agents despatched a representative (Captain Simmonds) to Port Eynon post haste, in order to learn the names of the vessels and other particulars." The sad in- telligence soon became widely known in Swansea, and the belief gained ground that one of the steamers was the Agnes Jack, of Liverpool, which was known to have left the Mumbles Roads at three o'clock that morning for Llanelly. The belief was confirmed by intelligence brought by a second messenger, but it was not absolutely established until the return on Saturday evening of Captain Siinmonds. From his statement it appears that the inhabitants of Port Eynon heard cries of distress coming from the sea as early as five o'clock in the morn- ing, a.nd when day broke they discerned a vessel near Salthouse Point, just off Port Eynon Head, with its hull under water and eight men clinging to the masthead. The gale was at its height, and the sea was so rough that it was quite impossible to launch a boat. A rocket apparatus was pro- cured from Rhossily, and another from Oxwich, and four rockets were lired. All tour fell short of the ship, the last missing the yard-arm by about three feet, and just as the fourth was tired the mast fell over, carrying with it seven of the men. The other had fallen off previously, apparently from exhaustion. At high water nothing except tho mast-head was visible, but at ebb-tide about twenty feet of the bows of the steamer was seen. The ship was not identified until a boat bearing her name was washed ashore. Afterwards her articles were picked up on the beach, as well as one sail, the captain's trousers (which contained £3 in money), and a small tin box, containing a pair of solitaires and a gold ring. The Agnes Jack was owned by Mr. John Bacon, Liverpool, andfrequently plied as a general trader between that port and Swansea and Cardiff. Her official number was 29,983, her gross registered tonnage 737, her net registered tonnage 4-76. She was fitted with engines of a5 horse power nominal. Her cargo consisted of about 600 tons of lead ore, belonging to Messrs. Henry Bath and Son, Swansea. The ore contained silver, and the cargo is valued at between £ 9,000 and £ 10,000. It was insured. The recovery of the articles must be regarded as the most fortunate circumstance in connection with this sad affair. Had they not been found it would ha. been very difficult, to say the least, to ascertain t, names of the crew, inasmuch as the men were noi '.ipped all at the same time, in the usual way. The voyage commenced at Llanelly on the 6th of July, i882, and the articles were in the form of a running agreement. The last,entry in the official log-book which is attached to the the form of a running agreement. The last.entry in the official log-book which is attached to the articles shows that the vessel left Cagliari, Sar- dinia, on January xc. riio na,nM ut me eleven men not marked as discharged—in other words, those who were on board the ship when she was lost—are as follow:— John Jones, aged 33. Neath, captain. W. C. Wat-kins, 25, Maidstone, chief mate. William Morrison, 32, Alloa, chief engineer. James Down, 29, Taibach (Aberavon), second engineer. David Williams, 25, Pembrey, donkeyman. George Cook, Belfast, fireman. James Jones, 26, Cardigan, fireman. William Whaben, 30, boatswain. John Williams, 10, Liverpool, cook. James Owen, 40, Newport (Pembroke), steward. Augustus Hill,43, Boston, A.B. William Johnson. 25, Liverpool, A.B. John Yeo, 35, Plymouth, A.B. Richard Roberts. 35, Nevin, A .B.. William Smith, 46, Finland, A.B. ) Giovanni George, 30, Trieste, A.B. Jolm Finn, Sligo. THE INQUEST. Mr. John Gaskoin, deputy coroner for the seigniory of Gawel, opened an inquest at the Ship Inn, Port Eynon, on Tuesday on the bodies of nine of the men belonging to the crew of the steamer Agnes Jack, which was wrecked in Port Eynon Bay in the gale on Saturday morning, and also on the body of Philip Beynon, the Llanelly pilot. Only four others out of the ten bodies washed ashore have been identified. These are John Jones (the captain), David Williams (donkey-man), James Dowsoy (second engineer), and John Owen. The jury, of which the Rev. William Melland was foreman, first of all went to view the bodies. They were lying under some straw and sacks in an out- House on the foreshore of the bay, and presented a shocking appearance, being in exactly the same state as when they were thrown ashore. Mr. James Strick, Lloyd's Agent, watched the proceedings. William Thomas, Waunarllwyd, was the first witness. He identified the body of Philip Beynon, his uncle. The deceased, he added, was a married man, and had a family. He was 63 years of age. Morris Downing, a coastguard-man, stationed at Oxwich, said he found Beynon's body on the beach, at three o'clock on Sunday morning, abreast of where it was now lying. His left leg had been broken by the anchor, and there was a cut on his face. On Saturday morning, about six o'clock, witness was informed that a vessel was ashore just off Skysea Point, and he went there with a rocket apparatus. He saw the ship on the rocks. Her foremast and mainmast were standing, and there were men on the fore yard. The rocket apparatus was taken to Port Eynon Point, and one shot was fired, which did not touch the vessel. After waiting some time for the iSde to ebb, a second shot was fired from another point, which was also unsuccessful. A third shot was laid and aimed at the foremast, which fell at that moment with all the men upon it. The mainmast had gone before. He could not say how many men there were. Witness and others then went out as far as they could on the rocks and saw the men on the yard in the water for about fifteen minutes. They could render them no assis- tance. The vessel was only 200 yards from the shore when the rocket was fired, but the wind was 80 high that it carried the line over her, Four rockets were fired altogether, two by the Oxwich men and two by the Rhossily men. The vessel could not be identified at that time,but it had since been ascertained that she was the steamer Agnes Jack. Her headboard and her articles were washed ashore, and a lifeboat with her name on it. Joseph Darch, a coastguard, stationed at Rhos- sily, said he heard of the vessel being ashore at eight o'clock on Saturday morning, and came to Port Eynon with twenty other men, the volunteer life-saving crew. The men were still on the yard when they arrived. They approached within about 300 yards of the ship, and fired a rocket, which went too far to windward. They then went across the Sound, and got within 200 yards. From this point they fired a second rocket, and the line fell about four yards over the foreyard arm. The yard was slightly peaked, and the force of the wind carried the line off into the water. They were preparing another rocket when the mast fell over the side with the men on it. William Hopkins, labourer, Port Eynon, said he got trp about quarter to five on Saturday morning, and on going out of his house to work he heard cries coming from the sea, and saw a light, ap- parently half a mile from the land. He talked with some other men about it, and they came to the conclusion that there was a vessel in distress, and that the crew had left her in boats. They had no idea she was on the rocks. It was blowing very hard from the south-west, and there was a heavy sea on. When daylight came he saw the two masts of a vessel in tne direction in which the cries came in the morning. When he heard the cries he was in the village, He went down to the beach and listened, but did not hear the cries again. He then returned to his work.. Mr. Strick said he could not understand why this witness did not do something more before returning to his work. A Jurvman thereupon remarked that there was nothing-to encourage men to work for the sake of humanity. They had taken trouble on many occasions and had got nothing for it. Mr. Strick said they ought not to expect pay for trying to save life. William Jenkins, labourer, said he was on the beach at six on Saturday mwning, and he then heard cries coming from the sea and saw a ship's light some distance away. He then went to Oxwich to inform the coastguard. Mr. Strick said a watch belonging to Owen had been washed ashore. It had stopped at two minutes to five. The Foreman of the Jmw oaid that would seem, I ¡ 0 indicate that some of the crew had taken to the boats, which were capsized. The watch of Dowse, the second engineer, was produced. That had stopped at 8 25. Formal evidence as to the identification of the other four bodies was taken,and the jury returned a verdict to the effect that the deceased came to their deaths by reason of the wreck of the Agnes Jack. A portion of a seaman's certificate with a blue ribbon pinned in the corner was picked up on the beach on Tuesday morning. The body of Rehberg, the carpenter of the Admiral Prinz Adalbert, was buried in the church- yard at the Mumbles, on Tuesday. On Tuesday the body of Philip Beynon, the pilot, who was on board the ill-fated steamer, was brought to DaneDy. and was borne from the station tohisresidencein High-street. Very much sympathy is felt for Mrs. Beynon and her family, who hold highly respectable positions in Llanelly and else- where. The body of the donkeyman on board the same steamer, David Williams, 26 years of age, was conveyed to his home at Pembrey on Wednes- day, and was interred in Pembrey Churchyard the same afternoon. WRECK OF A STEAMER NEAR PORTHCAWL. About two o'clock on Saturday afternoon a large steamer was seen to be in distress on the Fairy Bank, about two miles east of Porthcawl. She appeared to be dragging her anchors, and, from her apparently helpless condition, it was supposed that her machinery or steering gear had got out of order. There was a very heavy sea on at the time, but the Porthcawl lifeboat was launched and manned by a good crow. As soon as the boat got outside the breakwater it was found impossible to proceed to the steamer, and the lifeboat was driven on to Newton Pool, where she had to lay to for several hours, when she was brought back to port by the tugboat belonging to Porthcawl. At the time the steamer was first seen to be in distress the tugboat was in the dock, and as it was then low water, could not be taken out. As it was found impossible to render assistance from Porthcawl, a party of 35 or 40 men pro- ceeded with the rocket apparatus to Ogmore. They fired several rockets and remained on the spot until between two and three o'clock on Sunday morning. About eight o'clock on Satur- day night two rockets were fired from the steamer-one from the bows, and the other from the stern. Nothing was afterwards seen of her. It is probable that she drifted to the Tuskar Rock and became a total wreck. Our Bridgend correspondent, writing on Tuesday night with reference to the wreck near Porthcawl, saysI-iiiive this evening seen Mr. John Ralph, late chief mate of the James Gray, of which he says:—I left the James Gray on Wednes- day evening at Cardiff. She left the Roath Basin on Friday morning at seven a.m. bound for Cape de Verds. She came to anchor in the Penarth Roads, and, from what I understand, proceeded on her voyage early on Saturday morning. In conse- quence of the description given in the fVe^ieniMail of the body found near Dunraven Castle I proceeded to St. Bride's Major, near Bridgend, on Tuesday after- noon. I there saw the body and identified it as that of Capt. Macleod, of the James Gray, of Whitby. I also saw the main rail, main boom, cabin oilcloth, and other things which had been washed ashore, and identified them as belonging to the James Gray. The captain had his wife and child on board for the vcyage. The James Gray was built at Whitby about five years ago, and was of about 1,059 tons register. She traded generally between Cardiff and ports on the Black Sea and America." Our correspondent further states that the stern of a boat with the name Edmund White has been found near Nash. This it seems was the name of a former master of the James Gray, and had nat been painted out- There can be no doubt now that the steamer wrecked on the Tuskar was the James Gray. Her crew consisted of 23 hands, but this number did not include the captain's wife and child. The total number of lives lost was, therefore, 25. On Tuesday the body of a coloured seaman, apparently about 40 years of age, was found on the shore near Nash Lighthouse. It as been taken to Marcross Church. The following is a complete list of the crew of the steamship James Gray.—Edward M'Cleod, master, 34 years of age, 6, Ban- nington-road, Leitli; W illiam Harries, 33 years of age. native of Fishguard, first mate. Tower-hill, Fishguard; John Thomas, 30 years of age, second mate, 22, Crichton-street, Cardiff; F. Murry, 48 years of age, 40, Leckwith-road, Cardiff; Henry Stell, 39 years of age, native of Gloucester, steward, 109, King's-road, Canton; Julian Danbar, Cape de Verds, cook, 27, Peel- street, Cardiff; Carlos Owens, 42 years of age, native of East London, boatswain, 67, Bute-street, Cardiff E. Voss, 32 years of a^e, German, A.B. and lamp trimmer M. Anderson, 25 years of age, Nor- wegian, Penygraig, near Pontypridd Peter Hanson, 27 years of age, Norwegian, A.B., 47, Christina- street, Cardiff; G. Gunder sen,21 years of age. A.B., 47, Christina-street, Cardiff; Thomas Hosking, 22 years of age, of Cornwall, living at Weymouth Joseph Baroni, 44 years of age, a native of Malta, II, Bute-terrace, Cardiff;^ John Jones, 25 years of age, first engineer, Woodville-road, Cathays, Cardiff; John Light-burn, 26 years of age, of Crewe, second engineer, Birkenhead; George Warton, 24 years of age, native of Con- gleton, third engineer, of Liverpool F. Canziani, 29 years of age, native of Naples, donkeyman; William Davies, 20 years of age, fire- man, 6, Union-street, Carmarthen J. Reed, 31 years of age, Trowbridge, fireman; W. J. Papi, 21 years of age, native of London, 16, Moira-street, Splotlands, Cardie R. Morgan, fireman. 25 years of age, of 36, Adam-street, Cardiff; David Hughes, 32 years of age, of Neath, 2, Parknold-street, Maindy, Cardiff John O'Neill, 17 years of age, I engineer's steward, of Beaumaais; D. Walker, 15 years of age, of Dundee, assistant steward, 2, RriHah Wnricmjin. Cardiff, A SCHOONER CAPSIZED NEAR THE HOLMS Captain Fowler, ot the steamtug Pioneer, be- longing to Messrs. C. O. Rundle and Co., Cardiff, reports that on Friday morning he passed a vessel bottom up, in Penarth Roads, between the Steep and Flat Holms. On getting alongside he made out the name Kelso, Bridgwater, on the stern, which was the only portion of her above water. Captain Fowler tried to tow the schooner, but his hawser parted, both anchors of the vessel beina on the ground. It is supposed that she was struck by a squall during the gale, and, her ballast shift- ing, she turned over. Nothing is known of her crew, but it is feared that they were nil lost. At mid-day on Sunday the Austrian barque Linbedrag dragged her anchor and ran into the Austrian brig Tempo, lying in Penarth Roads. The brig has her stern smashed in. The barque had stem damaged.. The brig is coal laden from Cardiff for Buenos Ayres, and will dock in the Roath Basin to discharge and repair damages. The barque is loaded with esparto grass for Cardiff. CASUALTIES IN THE BRISTOL CHANNEL. The barque Royal Lad, Captain Felkins, of and for Liverpool, with a cargo of petroleum, 29 days out from Philadelphia, was driven up to Penarth Roads on Sunday through stress of weather. Capt. Felkins reports that ten days ago he encountered severe weather, and a succession of heavy gales, up to his arrival in Penarth Roads. On Saturday, at noon, the ship being W.S.W. of Lundy Island, a sea struck the vessel, sleeping her decks, carry- ing overboard the deck house and galley, and the whole of the clothes belonging to the ship's com- pany. The cook, who was in the galley at the time, was washed overboard and drowned. The sea flooded the cabin, and swept all its contents overboard, including nearly the whole of the provisions. The ship's chronometer, which was strapped to a beam in the roof of the cabin, was saved. The captain was lashed in the mizzen rigging at the time. The ship lost several sails and her fore royal mast. There was four feet of water in the hold when the captain decided to bear up for Penarth Roads. The vessel will prob- ably be towed round to Liverpool. THREE VESSELS JN COLLISION AT CARMARTHEN. On Monday a casualty of a somewhat serious nature occurred tc the shipping lying in the River Towy, at Carmarthen Quay, owing to the great flood which filled the river. The French lugger Achille Marie, from Oberon, with a cargo 0 of potatoes, consigned to Mr. Jenkins, Carmarthen, was moored to the quay, and, occupying a berth outside of her, but moored to the same place, was the large French brigantine Philemon, of Nantes, also with a cargo of potatoes, consigned to Mr. Stephen Morgan. The flood reached a degree of great intensity about noon, when the stern of the brigantine was swung round. Two of the hawser lines which were mooring her parted, and she at once showed signs of drifting away. A remarkable feature is that the mooring-posts, which were solid columns of stone, were broken, and both ships then were swept down the river by the impetuous cur- rent. Occupying a bertha little lower down the river was the schooner Jane Owen, of Port Madoc, and on the Achille Marie and Philemon drifting they fouled with her. and in a short time the three vessels were in collision. The Jane Owen, how- ever, was re-moored with the slight damage of having part of her jibbom carried away and a por- tion of the bulwarks on the starboard side stove in. The other two vessels remained out in the river in collision for a long time. The lugger had jibboom carried away, stern post stove in, mizzen mast broken off, and other damage, whilst the damage sustained by the other French vessel has not been ascertained. She must have been considerably strained. The Philemon, which had not commenced to discharge, was got aground on the opposite side of the river late in the afternoon, and the lugger, which had about 70 tons of cargo remaining in her hold, was moored just below the quay. A large number of persons visited the scene of the disaster during the afternoon, the occurrence being unpre- cedented at Carmarthen. In London the storm was severely felt. At Falcon-lane a wall was blown down. wrecking two cottages. Only one of these was inhabited, and the six inmates, an ostler and his family, were buried beneath the ruins. After an hour's labour they were rescued from the dibris, and found to be so injured that they had to be removed to St. Thomas's Hospital, Westminster. On Saturday evening, the upper part of a newly erected house, situated at Battersea and unin- habited, was blown down, and the brickwork fell upon the roofs of two adjacent cottages, in one of which there were six persons at the time. The cottages were nearly levelled to the ground and the occupants buried in the debris. Assistance was rendered immediately, and when they were dug out it was found that; beyond bruises, only two of the six were seriouily injured, having each a broken leg, and one an additional injury to the spine. The latter case is considered hopeless. During Saturday night houses were unroofed and trees blown dow* along the Lancashire Coast. At Blackburn a large wall near the railway station was blown down, anil a cab driver named Jones buried underneath. When dug out he was found to be dead, his tody being much mangled. At Sheffield on Saturday night several chimney stacks were blown down, demolishing 50 yards of walling round Bramsst Large Cricket Ground, and causing vast destruction to house property. Several people werf injured by falling slates. At Bradford on Saturday night a portion of the gable of Horsfalls Mills fejl, but no personal injury was sustained. A Falmqath correspondent reports that ]' ■luring the gale on Friday night the Dutch brig Janna, from Cardiff forCuracoa, with coals (Capt Voley), went ashore on the Manacles, and Voley), went ashore on the Manacles, and became a total wreck. The captain and the crew landed at Porthadetstock, near Falmouth. At Sandgate, on Saturday, the sea ran so high that a large breach was made in the sea wall. On Sun- day morning a barque, laden with salt, which left Liverpool some days ago. went ashore a few miles from Southport. The crew were saved. The coast is strewn with wreckage and cargoes of wrecked vessels. By the capsizing of a fishing boat at Lybster, on the Caithness coast, on Satur- day, one fisherman, named Gunn, was drowned The remainder of the crew were saved. CARDIFF. On Saturday, the weather continued to be very rough, and a variety of incidental damage was done to house property in the district. In Cathavs a large plate glass window in the shop of Mr. Hancock, chemist, was blown out, and most of the tradesmen here as well as in other parts of the town barricaded their shop fronts in order to prevent damage by the gale. MILFORD HAVEN. A very heavy gale from the W.N.W. blew on Friday and Saturday at Milford Haven., Only minor casualties have happened to the vessels riding at anchor in the Haven, but in St. Bride's Bay two vessels have gone ashore, the Nanteos, of Aberystwith, and the Solferino, of Dublin. The crews landed in their boats previously to the vessels driving ashore, the crew of the Nanteos being met when half way to shore by the Little Haven lifeboat. Both vessels are total wrecks. KNIGHTON. Writing on Monday, our correspondent at Knighton says :—A fearful gale has been raging in this district for the last 24 hours, and the river Teme and its tributaries are much flooded. A lad named Walter Ravenseroft, son of the late Mr. E. Ravenscroft, station master, was returning from school on Monday morning, when he ran across a chain which spanned the VVilcombe Brook, and failing into the water was dashed along by the stream through a long culvert into the river. Efforts were made to rescue him, but without avail, and his dead body has since been found in the bed of the river nearly a mile away. THE MOVING BOG. The moving bog is reported to be still threaten- ing Castlerea. Mills have been stopped, bridges choked, and traffic between Ballinagare and Cas- tlerea suspended. The bog t Baslick is also reported to be breaking up.



[No title]