Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page




LEGAL, Breach of Promise.—" Doiiy."—The return of #ngagement presents does not operate as a release ander seal, &c., and there sesms no reason whv "Dolly should not bring her action. Purchasing a House. House.'—We should advise TOU to apply to the Birkbeck. The purchaser pays, jut we should say that the Birkbeck would give you hill details. Benefit Society.—" An Old Member."— "Old Mem- ber" must be aware that this is a serious matter which we should not like to advise upon through these columns. Consult a solicitor. Duty of Executor. G. E. H."—The will is pro- bably home made, and there may ba some diincnlty; but, so far as it consists of money, the executor can pay the funds into court under the Trustee Act, 1893. Distress for Rent, H. F."—If the money is due as rent the landlord must either distrain himself or through some authorised county-court bailiff. A collector of rents would not have the right to act in the way described. Agency.—" Hants."—As you admit the receipt of the money, but claim a set-off for commissions, we do not think any criminal proceedings would lie against you, but merely a civil action, in which case you could put forward your counter claim or set off. Payment of Debt.—"A. S."—The lX1.ymellt of a debt can be proved without producing th receipt. A debt contracted in 1884, umess created by an in3ru- ment under seal, is now statute-barred, unless the debtor has in the meantime paid sums on account or acknowledged the debt in writing. Codicii-" Sm!tll Bequests."—A codicil is an in- strument adding to, revoking,or amending the dispo- sitions in the will. There is nothing to prevent your making the dispositions required by 111 instrument commencing" This is a further codicil to the will of me which bears date the day of—&c." The codicil must be attested by two witnesses. Land adjoining Higl1way-" Fiddler."—The land adjoining a highway generally belong's to the adja- cent landowners. There is a legal presumption to that effect, and probably they could prevent your cutting the grass along the road if they thought it worth while doing- so. Agreement.—" J, K. L A great deal must depend upon the. pecial terms of the agreement. We expect the week really determines on a Wednesday, but ihat you have been in the habit of paying on Saturday instead. But if your tenancy began on a Saturday, we do not see why tou should pay a week's reut for four days' occupation. Trade Name.—" Injunction."—A tradesman can prevent anybody adopting his name so as to pass off his business 98 that of the plaintiff. Your relation can use his own name, and if he is not adopting your initials instead of his own we doubt if you can do anything. You cannot claim an injunction about the lease. Sub-Tenant-—" Brixton."—A sub-tenant, whether a lodger or under-lessee, falls with his own immediate Sub-Tenant-—" Brixton."—A sub-tenant, whether a lodger or under-lessee, falls with his own immediate landlord. Therefore, if his interest determines that of his sub-tenants will expire also. You are not entitled to any notice from the superior landlord. We do not say that if you determined to hang on ihat you would not put the superior landlord to some trouble and inconvenience to get rid of you. Maintenance Order, Illegitimate.—" C. 0."—If the mother has married after the birth of the child, and is living with her husband at the time of the applica- tion, she is not a single woman" within the meaning of the Bastardy Acts (Stacey v. Lintell), and, there- fore, no order could be obtained against the father compelling him to contribute towards the child's sup- ,port. The subsequent marriasre of the mother does not, however, affect the liability of the father to con- tinue the payments under an order obtained prior to the marriage. Desertion. J. S."—There is no law compelling husband and wife to live together. The most that oaa be done is to get an order for restitution of con- flgaJ. rights, and if this is not obeyed the party who gets the order can obtain a judicial separation. In the present case the wife, having deserted, cannot pledge her husband's credit, but we do not say that the parish, authorities might not have some claim on the husband if the wife h comes destitute. Will-making.—"Thankful." We do not advise home-made will-making, but, as regards your points (1) a will written out and sisned by the testator per- sonally does require to be attested by two witnesses; (2) -it legatee may be appointed executor, but if he is all attesting witness he will forfeit the legacy; (3) blank forms" bought and filled up" must be attested by two witnesses, as such forms have no special privileges; (4) we see nothing objectionable in the forms submitted, but the proper formalities of execu- tion and attestation must be duly complied with. Bill of Exchange.—" Cardiff."—Do not sign, the bill for your friend unless you feel that you can conveniently spare the cash to meet it if he does nnt; the surety generally has to pay. As to the rate whieh will be charged for discounting it, all we can say is that it depends on the financial posi- tion of yourself and the borrower, and the place where he gets it discounted. if you begin TOP king yourself respmsible for the debts' of your friends you will orobably in the end lose both money and friends. Master and Servant.—"An Old I{ellder.The girl has been paid all she is entitled to; she cannot recover the wages for the month in the nuctdte of which she left. She ha.3 behaved very badly, and you will be quite justified in refusing to pi.y her anything. Debtor and Ci-edi- Od Ieader. "-r(\lke the baian-e which you owe and offer the actual coins, tc the man in settlement. Have someone with you who can prove the oiler. If he refuses to take it and sues for the full amount of his claim without giving you credit for the contra account go to the county-court office at least six day- before the day fixed for the hearing, taking your summons with you, and pay the registrar the balance you owe, and tell him yo-i wish"to plead a counter-claim and tender of balance before action, and he will fill up the necessary notices for you to sJgn. Bequest of Leasehold Property.—" Leaseholti. There is nothing whatever to prevent you disposing of your interest in the property by will in favour of any person voi may think fit. Clerk's Wagjs and Notice.—"Bardcck."—You are entitled to your wages up to the day you were dismissed, and io one week's wages in lieu of notlq. Your employer is not entitled "to deduct anything in respect of ilie time vou were a-btent fmi work thxough sickness, nor »JJ he justified in dismissing YOU without notice. 0 Landlord and Tenant.—" I'onrY.Yl1en the notice to quit has expired you may commence an action in the county-court for the recovery of pos- session of the premises Rnd for the rent (if any) which may then be owing. As to the rent now in arrear he ought to instruct a certificated bailiff to distrain for it. If tle tenant removes or damages the wall-papers he may be sued for compensation. Palmistry.—" Manus."—If you openlv practice palmistry as suggested in your letter, vou will, no doubt, be promptly prosecuted as a rogue and a vagabond. An Act passed in the reign of George IV. provides that any person who pretends or professes to tell fortunes, or uses any subtle craft, means, or device by palmistry or otherwise, to deceive or impose on any of her Majesty's subjects is liable to be convicted as a rogue and vagabond. Intestacy. Inquirer."—The widow was entitled to one-third of the personal estate of the deceased (including leaseholds), and the children to the remainder. If the deceased left any freehold or copyhold property the widow would not be entitled to anything beyond one-third of the rents during her life. She cannot sell, mortgage, or dispose by will of anything that belongs ti) the children. Tlie widow ought to make a will leaving anything she is possessed of to her eldest daughter. Party Wall.—" Glasgow."—if you refer to your deeds you win, peihaps, find that you are bound to pay half the expense of I\)?inta.;nin¡; the party wall. If you are not so bound you may refuse the teims offered you, and build a wall adjoining it, entirely on your wn land. Intestacy, &c.— I. J."—If the eldest brother died without a will, either a bachelor or a idowev without children or father surviving him, his elde-st br01her would be entitled to his freehold pioperty, but his leasehold and other personal estate would be divi- sible among his brothers and sisters in equal sh¡¡res. Tenant-? in common may by action in the UlwNBry Division compel partition of the estate; who,? the estate cannot well be divided among ife tenants in common so f-s to constitute each the sole owner of an equal part the court will order it to be sold and the net proceeds divided. If a leasehold term is surrendered to the fieehoiders the property should not thereafter be described as leasehold. Wharfage Charges.—" H. D."—Unles.4 you can prove that the charges 3,"e illegal or excessive you will have then to pay. The fsct that you have not previously been charged is a fortui ate one for you, but it is no defence to the pn sent claim. Intestacv of Father-in-Law.—" Comno,If your late wife's father continues in;;anellW his death he cannot make a will, and will, therefore, die in- testate. In that event your two children will be entitled to share equally bdween them the s'naie of his personal estate to which your late wife would have become entitled if she had survived him. You will get nothing. If your children are under 21 years of age when Oleir grandfather dies it w'.il be the duty of his administrator to see- that th mlimy to which they will be entitled is properly invested vntil they -respectively come of age. If your father-in-law had died hdo1'8 your wife she would have become entitled to a share of his estate, and i she had died intestate 1 ffore receiving it you would have become absolutely entitLd to it for your own sole benefit. Receipt for "foi1ey,JaJir Tar."—Ycu can do no good whatever by reporting ihe facts to the Corn- missioners of Jnhnd Revenue. If you had been given an unstamped receipt the giver wo aid ha"e been liable to a penalty of 913, but it is very seldom the commissiomrs exact th, full penalty; on beh:.(" memorialised they generally reduce it to a much smaller SHm. The letter "wMclt admits tint 3-011 had previously paid certain sums of money is not a receipt, and does not require a stamp. Ue of Boyil Anw<Heí-aldry." -Any person who, without the authority of t.er Majesty, ->r any of the Royal Family, or of any Government :1par- went. assumes or uses in conncc-ticn with any trade, ,c. the Boyal Arms or any re:emÎ)la¡);e thereof is lia'ile, on summary conviction, to a fine or £ 20. You had better not take the risk. Infringement of Copyright —" Ne",tho.1Í:¡,¡;H you have correctly stated the facts y)1( are entW0¡1 to sue for an -injunction and damages. It would serve no useful purpose to detail the virions pro- ceedings dlÍeh may become necessary during the course of the action, as is wilt be absolutely neces- sary to employ a solicitor to brine the action. Liability for Debt of Wife.—" Interested "—You cannot be compelled to pay the money lent to your wife, unless she borrowed it for you, and with your authority, or you have made yourself responsible hy signing a promissory note or other document as surety for her. Your wife can be sued for the money if she has any gocds or other separate pro- pHty, Purchase of Goodwill.Bex. "Although the person who sold you the goodwill of the business, and who is the owner of the shop, has given you notice to quit. you are not entitled to recover from him any part of the money paid for the goodwill. You ought to have arranged for a longer tenancy. Count Persecuted."—If the case was merely struck out because the plaintiff did not attend, he is quite within his rights in re-entering it. When it was struck out you ought to have asked the court to order the plaintiff to pay you for your attendance, and, no doubt, the order would have been made. Claim to Property.—" Inquirer."—You cannot get your papers without paying your solicitor's charges; he has a lien upon the papers. We do not know sufficient about your case to enable us to offer an opinion upon your, chances of success. If the case was so clear we wonder your solicitor did not proceed with it. Probably your 1 ght to sue for the recovery of the property has become barred by the Statute of Limitations. You will have to employ a solicitor if you take any proced;;3;, Sale of Busmess. M. 1. D."—You ought to defend any action which may be brought against you for the recovery of the money which was paid to you for the purchase of your business. If you have correctly stated the facts, you have a good defence to any such action. Mortgage of Life Policy, ten.—" T. J."—The person to whom you mortgaged your life policy was quite justified in surrendering it to the insurance company when you Tmid neither interest nor premiums, There is nothing whatever in your letter to lead us to uppose that you wi1l succeed if you endeavour to get the mortgage set aside, but you can compel the delivery of an account.






[No title]



J1,.1l! 1- v- ..... ---,t…

[No title]