Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

31 articles on this Page


























FOOTBALL. WALES F. SCOTLAND. SPLENDID DFSPLAY OF THE WELSHMEN. A DRAWN GAME. The first Rugby International Match of the Scot- tish season was played at Partick, Glasgow, on Saturday, when teams representing Scotland and Wales engaged in friendly encounter. The Welsh t^am was the same as played against England on th i previous Saturday, with t,he exception of the place of J. S. Smith, who did not play, being taken by E. P. Alexander, of Brecon. It has frequently been alleged that the Glasgow public care very little for the Rugby game, but the falsity of that assertion was demonstrated on Saturday, the match being witnessed by a concourse of spec- tators numbering about 3,000. Rain fell during the morning and forenoon, but the weather was fair in the afternoon while the match was being played. The ground was very soft in some parts, and before the game was very old the ball became so slippery that it was a matter of great difficulty to hold it. This nullified one of the strongest points in the Scofrch team's play, namely, passing, but in no way did it affect the play of Wales, who have not vet ben able to grasp the science of passing. The gi\me was confined for the most part to the forwards, and, on that account, it was not particu- larly interesting. Both teams were equally matched in the forward division, and the mauls were vs ell contested in the majority of cases. Scot- land tiied very hard to keep the ball rolling, but in this they were baulked; and the secret of Wales being able to keep Scotland from scoring lies chiefly in the fact that they played the tight game but, another cause why Scotland was not suc- cessful was the tackling of every one of the Welsh fifteen. Better tackling has never been seen in Scotland, and since their match with England they must have learned some lessons, as it was reported in '\l! the newspapers that the reason why the re- presentatives of the rose got over the Welsh line so often was the defective holding of the post by the Principality's backs. All down the line of international contests Wales has profited by her defeats, and of that country it may be said now that it is possessed of a combination of picked players who in many respects will compare favourably with the players of any nation. The Scotch play was disappointing in some things, but, on the whole, the team did well. The state of the weather and the greasy condition of the ball was much against the Scotch, as already indicated. Newman, captain of the Welsh team, played a very fine quarter game, and he watched Don Wauchope most carefully; Gwynn has not the experience of Newman, and did one or two risky things. All the Welsh forwards played a sterling game, and it would be invidious on that account to single any of them out for special praise. They are not ciever dribblers by any means, but they work vell in the scrimmage, follow up splendidly, and tackle in the right way. They taught the Scotchmen a lesson in tackling which they would do well to lay to heart in view of their coining matches with England and Ireland. THE GAMF. Wales kicked off at 2.45, and Scotland, with the incline in their favour, at once got into foreign territory. One of the home players had a free catch a little beyond the Welsh 25, but Berry, to whom the place was entrusted, did not succeed in sending it over the crossbar. Some hard work occurred close to the Welsh goal after this, and a drop by G, Maitland sent the ball into touch. Wauchope got the ball and ran right across the field, and on being tackled passed to Stephen, who after covering some ground was well held. Close play for the next five minutes followed, and the monotony of mauling and scrambling play was relieved by a sharp run of the captain of the Fettesian Lorettians. A bad pass of Wauchope to Maclagan let Wales to the half-way flag, where more mauling play occurred. A rush, however, by R. Maitland and C. Ross brought the ball back to the Welsh 25, where it had been almost from the start. Careful play was now the order of the day on the part of the Welshmen, who drove the Scolcii forwards back bit by bit, and all danger was relieved until a smart, run and a neat drop placed the ball in the Scotch 25. Some grand close play was witnessed here, Scotland, headed by the stalwart, Reid, even- tually coming away with a rush, and this was capped by G. R. Maitland dodging one or t wo of the Welsh forwards and dropping the ball far down the field. Wales had a hot time of it at this juncture. Immediately afterwards Stephen had a specular," which went very near the uprights, Gould being forced to touch down in defence. The kick by Wales was immediately relieved by Harrower and Asher soon fastening on to the ball, which was passed very judiciously to infaciaginlwlio was held twenty yards, or thereabouts, from the Welsh line. This pressure put the strangers on their mettle, and, settling down into steady action, they drove the Scotch far out of danger, and Newman, who had been playing a splendid saving game, gave the spectators an insight into his offen- sive abilities, running a long way and winding up with a punt into touch between the Scotch 25 and the half-way flags. More stiff mauling ensued, and then Wauchope wriggled through the cluster of Welshmen in a manner that elicited loud applause. Before being collared he passed to Asher, who ran a distance, and when that player was tackled he passed to Ainslie, who all but got in. This was an electrifying piece of play, but an infringement was claimed by the Welsh captain and allowed, the result being that the ball was brought back to the strangers' 25. It was removed from this quarter bv a clever dodgy run by Taylor, but the advantage gained by that player was soon neutralised by a cool punt on the part of Asher. A series of mistakes all crushed into the space of a few seconds enablel Wales to assume the aggressive, which they did in splendid style, and but for a timely drop on the part ot the Scotch captain the home quarters would have been seriously endangered. Maclagan's kick was well followed up by the Scotch forwards, who, however, were brought to bay by Gould lying on the ball not very far from his own goal. B. Maitland ousbed his way through several forms of opposition, and was held close on the strangers' line, and soon after this a tremendous cheer was raised when it was seen that Wauchope was. dodging one or two of his opponents. Nothing, however, came of this effort, as he was embraced securely in the clutches of Gwynn. Wales again sailed up the ground in great stvle, and before they were stopped the Scotch 25 had been reached. In this quarter they remained for a fnw minutes, but they never got close to the goal. Only a few minutes of the first half re- mained, and both sides worked very hard, but neither scored. This side was decidedly in favour of the Scotch, but the defence of Wales was ex- tremely good. THE SECOND HALF. Scotland kicked off from the centre without any loss of time. The first thing of note was a free catch by Asher close to the Welsh 25. Berry again took the kick, but did not improve matters. Taylor had a splendid run right from under his own goal to the half-way mark, where he was brought to a stop by Don Wauchope, who tackled him beauti- fully. Scotland worked the ball up, but down it came again without much ceremony or loss of time, and the fight for a time raged in the centre. One of the Scotch half-backs here made an effort to get away, but slipped after he had cleared himself of much opposition, and an excel- lent chance was thereby lost to Scotland. This was followed by two nice rushes on the part of Wales, who soon got .a free catch. The kick was charged down by Wauchope, who got hold of the ball, and by a useful punt sent it into touch well beyond danger. By degrees the Scotchmen worked the ball to inid-ground, and again Wauchope made strenuous efforts to get away, but he had not travelled many yards before he was obscured from view by a crowd of Welsh- men. Maitland, to whom the ball had been passed, was thus hidden from the public gaze. After some close play Stephen, for the second time, compelled Wales to touch down. The play now became exceedingly interesting, there being more open work and better running on the part of the backs. There was some very exciting work in the middle of the field. After a run by Wauchope Scotland was in front of the Welsh fortress, and great efforts were made by the home forwards to gain an advantage over their opponents. Wauchope and Reid forced their way through the Welsh forwards, but these and other efforts were unsuc- cessful. Jordan with a well-aimed drop was within a very little of scoring. From this on to the close Wales was in the ascendant, but no points were scored, and the game ended in a draw, the on- lookers dispersing with the feeling that they had seen a good match. Both teams dined in the George Hotel after the match, Mr. Malcolm Cross, president of the Scottish Rugby Union, being chairman. The teams were:— Scotland: Harrower (London Scottish), back; W. E. Maclagan (London Scottish), A. E. Stephen (West of Scotland), and G. Maitland (Edinburgh Institution), three-quarter backs; A. R. Don Wauchope (Fettesian Lorettonians and Cambridge University) and A. G. G. Asher (Fettesian Loret- tonians and Oxford University), half-backs C. Reid (Edinburgh Academicals), Dr. Tod (Wat- sonians), R. Maitland (Edinburgh Institution), T. Ainslie (Edinburgh Institution), J. Jamieson (West of Scotland), C. W. Berry (Fettesian Loret- tonians and Oxford University), W. A. Peterkin (Edinburgh University), J. Mitchell (West of Scot- land), and G. H. Robb (Glasgow Academicals), forwards. Wales A. J. Gould (Newport), back; F. E. Hancock (Cardiff), C. G. Taylor (Ruabon), and H. M. Jordan (Newport and United Hospitals), three- quarter backs; C. H. Newman (Newport and Durham), captain, and W. H. Gwynn (Swansea), half-backs J. S. Clapp (Newport), R. Gould (New- port), T. B. Jones (Newport), A. F. Hill (Cardiff), W. H. Thomas (Llandovery), D.Morgan (Swansea), S. Goldsworthy (Swansea), L. C. Thomas (Cardiff), and E. P. Alexander (Brecon), forwards. Umpires: Messrs. Alex. Duncan (Cardiff) and Cross, president of the Scottish Union; referee, Mr. Rowland Hill, secretary of the English Rugby Union. QUEEN'S COLLEGE, CORK, V. NEWPORT. Newport was only able to put into the field a weak team to compete against their Irish oppo- nents on Saturday in consequence of the "pick" of the club having gone to Glasgow to take part in the match between Scotland and Wales, which was played the same day. Nevertheless a very in- teresting game was seen, but owing to the wretched condition of the weather the attendance was very small. The ground was in a very bad condition, and when play started it was raining hard and the wind was blowing strongly from the S.S.W., down the ground from the nursery goal. Previous to making a start the visitors were photographed by Mr. Dando. The Cork team were successful in spinning the coin, and kicked off with the wind, and a loose scrimmage resulted about the middle of the ground, and the ball was kicked out. On the leather being thrown the visitors took the ball nearer the opposition goal, but Thomas cleverly relieved the pressure by a good punt. The home team followed the ball up well, and got within a few feet of the goal, where a couple of scrimmages took place, but the Irishmen managed to take the ball well away. The play was next in the middle of the ground, where it remained for some minutes. Out of a good scrimmage the ball was passed by one of the Cork three-quarters to their half-back, and had the latter only managed to hold the ball he might have gained a lot of ground, and possibly a goal, as he had a clear run before him. But the ball slipped from his grasp, and Bailey (Newport) coming with a rush made a splendid kick which transferred the play within the visitors' twenty- five. Some good scrimmages here ensued, and, the Newport forwards putting in some most creditable play, the Irishmen were the first to give way, and were compelled to resort to a touch down to save their goal. When the ball was kicked away a scrimmage ensued, and Briggs (Newport) obtained hold of the ball and secured a try,but the kick failed. Scarcely a minute had elapsed when C. Jordan (Newport) got possession, and again ran in and obtained another try. The kick was entrusted to lWDonnell, but the ball was in such a state that to kick it over the bar was highly improbable, and, as was fully expected, the major point was not scored. Play then ruled more even, the Irishmen seemingly waking up, and, although they could not get in the Newport half, they held their own, and as the game proceeded gradually improved their position, and managed to work the leather further than they had done up to this time, getting close to the Newport 25. C. Jordan, Briggs, and M'Donnell then played up with vigour, and rushed the ball so far down that the Irishmen were glad to resort to a touch- down, which performance they had to repeat in almost less time than it takes to record. The oval had not long been set in motion When the visitors had once more to repeat the touch-down. Time was called shortly afterwards, the play then being in the centre of the ground. The rain was still coming down in torrents, with every prospect of it doing so to the finish. The game stood—Newport, two tries and four touches down to nothing. The interval was a short one, and on the game being resumed Bailey, by a good run, managed to place the ball over the line, but being at a difficult angle the kick failed. Newport then com- pelled their adversaries to touch down in rapid succession, and then scored another try, which brought the match to a conclusion, Newport thus winning by five tries to nil. SWANSEA V. CARMARTHEN.—A friendly match between these teams was played on Carmarthen Ground on Saturday afternoon, ill the presence of a couple of hun- dred spectators. Almost all the morning, and through- out the match, a heavy downpour of rain was expe- rienced, with gusty wind. rendering the ground in a state 01' perfect quagmire. Notwithstanding these draw- backs a very good game was played, resulting in the first victory Carmarthen has obtained over Swansea. About half-past three Carmarthen won the toss, and Swansea kicked off against tJie wind. Good central p:ay continued for a considerable time, but the home team afterwards took matters into Swansea territory, where the operations were continued with but little variation throughout the whole of the first half. The visitors were compelled to touch down twice, and 800n afterwards, by II- good rush of the Oarmarthen for- wards, the leather was carried onward, and Walter Jones got over the 15wansea line and secured the first try. The place kick, which had to be attempted at a very difficult position, was made by Smith. but the ball did not rise, and the visitors again touched down. Two other touches down were sCored before ends were changed, Carmar- then. so far, having it all their own way with a try aud live touches down. 1n the second half things were somewhat reversed, Swansea having the advantage of the wind and ground. For some time, however, the home players continued to press their opponents' posi- tion. Hallyiug down, the Swansea forwards gained the upper hand and secured two touches down. After the kick-off from the 25 yards the ball wa. again sent back, and, being kicked over the line, it was rushed after by D. P. Morgan(Carmarthen) and W,Jones(Bwausea). Morgan slipped on reaching the leather, and Jones claimeù a try, which, alter protest, was allowed. The kick for goal was futile. Å good deal of excited play afterwards took ptace in the centre, but nothing further was scored, and the game resulted in a win for Carmarthen by a try and five touches ùown to a try and two toucht's down- nine points against six. Players -.—Carmarthen Back, Williams three-quarter backs, R, IJ. Norton, Milne, u¡,cl J. Gwyn; half-backs, D. P. Morgan (captain, J. T. Thomas, and E. W. Davies; forwards, Hindes, Joshua, T. O. Edwards. J. Lloyd. D. Lloyd, D. Smith, Walr.e" Jones, and D, Davits. 8wansea: Back, J. Rosser; three-quarter backs. Bishop, Colquhoun, and D. Bowen (captain); half-backs, Walter Jonesand Reed; forwards, Payne, W, Bowen, Meredith, Ball, Betts, Dogge'.t, Humphreys, and Williams. Referee, W. P. Norton, Car- marl hen. CARDIFF SECOND v. CHEPSTOW.—A match was played at Chepstow on Saturday last between fourteen of the Cardiff second football team and thirteen of the Chep- stow cluu. The ground is In an elevated position and much exposed, 11.11<1 during the game the wind and rain blew hard up across the Severn and prevented anything like good play. The home team kicked off, and although they played well it was apparent from the first that they were overmatched, the game ending in a decided victory for Cardiff, whe won by fifteen points to nil. CARDIFF RANGKRS v. NEWPORT HEARTS OF OAK.—This match was played in the Sophia Gardens Fleld. Cardiff, 011 Saturday afternoon, and despite the difficulties of wind. l'aln, and boggy ground, showed some very plucky play on the part of both teams. At the conclu- sion of the game victory rested with the Rangers, the score being :-Rangers, one try and two touches down; Newport Hearts of Oak, one try. CARDIFF HARLEQUINS v. BRISTOL ARABS.—This match was 13 have been played on Saturday. The Harlequins journeyed to Clifton III wretched weather, but only live of the Arabs' team turned up. No game, therefore, resulted, and the visitors were much disappointed in consequence.



[No title]



Family Notices