Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

23 articles on this Page

—HUM—Mwiiiifiwf7TifTr man…

Assault on .Swansea Police.

Fochriw Curate's Home-Coming.

Judge and the Jury-box.

Swansea Gifts to the Queen.


Hot Weather at Porthcawl Camp.

Fforestfach Publican Sued.

Swansea Education Committee…



Riotious Outbreak at Aberavon.

[No title]


Welsh National Show.

Tinplate Tariffs IUseful Return



DROWNED IN A CASK. Curious Iragredy at Manselton. A sad tragedy was enacted in Manselton early on Thursday doming. A n-ason, named Joseph Morris, residing at 751 Court- ney-street, was, it is siat-ed, to have under- gone an operation for hernia the same day, and about 7 a.m. his wife missed him from her side in bed, and sent her two little girls downstairs to ascertain what had be- come of him. To their horror they found their father in the back-yard, head downwards in a cask- full of water, and clad only in shirt and underpants. The alarm was quickly raised, and the terrified wife secured the assistance of neigh- bours to extricate the body, and endeavoured to induce respiration, but without avail, and when Dr. Jno. Davies (Trinity-place), hur- riedly sent for, arrived, he pronounced life quite extinct. Deceased, who was 50 years of age, was employed at the Hafod Copper Works, and was greatly respected by his fellow-work- men and neighbours. The complaint for which deceased was to have undergone the operation had been occa- sioning him considerable suffering and worry, and he had not been sleeping at nights latterly, and his depression of manner had been somewhat marked. INQUEST ON THE BODY: SINGULAR VERDICT. Coroner Viner Leeder held an inuest at the Compass Inn, Cwmbwrla, at Thursday midday on the body. Sarah Ann Morris, widow, said deceased was 45 years of a,ge. He had followed his occupation as mason up to last Sunday. He had not worked during the present week owing to illness (rupture), for which he was to have undergone an operation on Thursday at the house. He appeared in much pain, and suffered from lowness of spirits. He re- tired to bed as usual about 10 p.m., but had not really slept for the past fortnight, ano witness did not think he closed his eyes al, night. He had feared the operation, and had worried greatly the past month. He had never given the impression of having had the slightest intention of doing away with him- self. Just the opposite. "All he said on Wednesday night," continued witness, tear- fully, "was to bear up." When she found her husband his head was downwards in the, cask, his feet on the ground. William Henry Ham, 76, Courtenay-street, was having his breakfast at ten minutes to seven he heard screams, and going out saw over the wall deceased's legs sticking up in the air. He ran for assistance, sent for brandy, and did all in his power. The body was quite limp when he took it up. Coroner You seemed to have acted very promptlv, and used your good sense and dis- cretion. Dr. John Davies was called shortly before I a.m. On visiting the house he found de- ceased lying on a sofa iu the house apparently dead. He had him placed on the floor and tried artificial respiration for a considerable time, without effect. Death was due to suffocation consequent on drowning. Answering the Coroner, witness thought deceased must have got .nto the^cask do libcrately. The Coroner, in summing up, said it was evident that deceased had met his death through suffocation by drowning. He had evidently been suffering severely of late, and the prospects of having the operation per- formed on him preyed on his mind. The only point for them to consider was as to whether the deed was not done while deceased was not responsible for his actions. The jury found, as directed, that deceased died of suffocation by drowning whilst un- countable for his actions." The Coroner characterised the case as an extremely sad one., and hoped that the charit- ably disposed of the neighbourhood would keep an eye on the widow, left as she was with two little girls, aged 8 and 10 respec- tively. The jury concurred.






[No title]