Hide Articles List

24 articles on this Page

Sunday Golf at Penarth.




------.--------LEITH VACANCY.



The Good Old. Days of Yore.





Yesterday's Football.

Detailed Lists, Results and Guides

Yesterday's Football. VISIT OF THE HEATHENS TO CARDIFF. A Stubbornly Contested but Fast Game Ends in a Win for the Cardiff. Fifteen. There were several circumstances which combined to make a good gate at Cardiff to-day. First, and perhaps most important, was the fact that the Londoners had defeated Newport on Saturday. This in itself argued that a magnificent fight would take place, and necessarily a large amount of interest resulted. Then, again, it was holiday time, added to which it was a magnificent day. It was, therefore, no wonder that at least 20,000 people were present on the Cardiff Arms Park. There were no changes in the originally-advertised team, the men turning out as follows ;— Blackheath: Back, L. Humfrey three-quarter backs, T. H. C. Fegan. 51. Toller, W. H. Devon- shire, and M. ü. C. Tandy half-back.s, P. H. IMaturm aiiii R. S. Baiss; forwards, A. Allport, (cap- tain), l\ Maud, C. Dixon, F. C. Lohden, F. Mitchell, E. Bonham-Carter, H. W. Finlinson, and J. C. Higby. Cardiff: Back, E. P. Biggs three quarter backs, Norman Biggs (captain), D. Fitzgerald, J. K. Elliott, and T. W. half backs, 13. Sweet-Fscott and Selwyn Biggs; forwards. A. F. Hill, W. H. Smith, W. Cope, A. Lewis, R, Davies, W. Davies, S. Cravos. tmdvV. J. Elsey, Keferee, Mr. J. Ashton, Lancashire Union. Blackheath winning the toss, Gus Lewis started operations for the home team, who had the SUll in their faces. The first scrimmage was fought out a little to the Blackheath side of the half-way line. Baiss started his men in double quick time, but the Cardiff tackling was very close, and at the outside not more than half a dozen yards were gained. Over the division line for a moment, and then play went back to its original positioll just inside the visiting half. A loose rush of the forwards brought them hack, to close on the Cardiff 25 flag, where Selwyn Biggs stopped them with 8, smart kick to touch. Thus, early in the game the 'Heathens were having the best of matters in the tight packs. Twice Cardiff got the ball, but were immediately pushed back by Black- heath before they could heel out. On the third occa- sion Sweet-Escott managed to get it away, but Norman Biggs, who was entrusted with it, started the passing very wildly, and Toller, intercepting, got in a kick which moved play still closer to the Cardiff 25. Here Blackheath had a magnificent chaiic-e. Maturin got the ball from the pack, and with the whole of his three-quarters lying on his right, with only Fitzgerald and N. Biggs to oppose them, something tangible ought to have re- sulted. The ball, however, was sent right along the ground, and a fine opportunity was lost. Then the Cardiffians wheeled a scrimmage. Gus Lewis and Smith came away with the ball at their toes, and after a few yards' dribbling N, Biggs got possession. He put in a punt that went clean up to Humfrey, whose return lost the visitors ground. Scrimmaging in the Blackheath 25, however, was of very short deration, for the ball, getting amongst the forwards, Maud and Lohden came clean away to half-way. Here Loh[ien picked up and gave Dixon a pitSS, and the latter l'an to the Cardiff 2b before he was stopped. Then plav settled just inside the Cardiff 25, from where, by a Geries of short rushes, Cardiff worked to just outside the quarter flag'- It was a nip and tuck game so far, and neither team had gained any material advantage, A bit of smart passing between S. Biggs, Sweet-Escott, and N. Biggs enabled the latter to gain a few yards, and then, when at half- way, Swœt-Escot-t started some passing from the scrimmage. S. Biggs got possession, and cleared the opposing three-quarters-in fine style. He threw out a somewhat wild pass to the right, which was, how- ever, taken right above his head by Fitzgerald. The ex-Grange man got past the full back in fine style, and turned over it beautiful pass to N. Biggs, who, easily out-pacing his pursuers, scored a fiue try right behind the posts, which he himself converted. The re-start saw play settle right on the Blackheath line. A fifth three-quarter was now put out until the visi- tors had cleared to outside their 25 flag. From here they started SOille passing, which went right across to Devonshire, who, half eluding the tackle of Pearson, got in a kick which reached tovch at the Cardiff quarter flag. Cardiff, however, were asserting their superiority in the scrimmages, and this enabled the blue and b1twks to get another chance in the back line. Sweet-Escott attempted to get through the ruck instead of passing out to his wing, and when Cardiff looked like getting away they were stopped, and scrimmaging again com- menced just outside their 25. Maturin started his backs in fine style, audgoing right along the line the bt,11 eventually came to Devonshire, who scored iu the extreme corner. Fegan made a good attempt, but just missed converting. To Cardiff's drop out play so on cyme back to the Cardiff half. The visitors were the first to heel out, but Sweet-Escott was round-a hit too sharp for Baiss, and the latter fumbling, Biggs on the other side started the passing to his three-quarters. Fitzgerald got possession and put 111 a line kick, which Sal"- Biggs follow np smartly and Humfrey being pulled down-before he could get in his reply. This left the play just outside the Blackheath 25 line. Elliott and Pearson were early on the move with some inter-passing that took them to within a dozen yards of the Black- heath hoe. from the scrimmage the Cardiff left wing got a chance. It was all awkward pass sent out to Biggs, and he failed to gather it. He recovered it, however, in time to prevent Blackheath breaking away, although a couple of minutes later Tandy had better hick, and after putting in a fine run, with which be got past the Cardiff three-quarters, it was only all extra vigorous tackle by E. P. Biggs that pre- vented him passing with any judgment to his wing. The Cardiff forwHrds were instrumental in driving: the play "back to just over the half-way line, and then Sweet-Escott sent a beautiful, sharp pass out from the first scrimmage. S. Biggs, who got possession, threw over his captain's head to Fitzgerald.. The latter cleared one mall, and gave possession to Elliott when Hearing the full back. The right centre man took no charces, but sent out a fine pass to Pearson on the wing, and the latter, with a strong burst, got over the Blackheath line, grow.diag verj nearly l-rhind the pets. Biggs converted for the seco::d time. The pace was now telling its tale, especially on the Blackheath men, and their play lacked that vim and dash that had characterised it in the earlier part of the proceedings. In the tight packs the home eight were having much the better of matters, and although play had settled down in the Cctnlitt half at the "ommencement, the forwards, first by heeling out to their backs, and again by a series of loose rushes, took play to well on the Blackiieath goal line. There was a bit of a scramble at this spot, but the visitors, exhibiting keen defence, forced play to outside their 25, where half-lime was called with the score standing :— Cardiff 2 goals. Blackheath Itrv. Allport re-started for Blackheath, and, after Pear- son's return, Devonshire got in a kick, -w hich found touch close on the Cardiff 25 fla,g. Scrimmaging commenced just outside the Cardiff quarter flag. Baiss got the ball away to his three-quarters at the second attempt, but Biggs intercepted. Then, 01, the right wing, Toller stopped Fitzgerald when the latter looked like starting the Cardiff liRssing under advantageous circumstances. Slowly play worked to close on the half-way flag. Here Sweet-Escott gave his hacks a chance, but Biggs, to whom Fitzgerald gave a nice pass, was covered by Fegan before the Cardiff captain could either move or get the ball away. Toller gained a few yards, which took play to inside the Cardiff 25. Several hard scrimmages were fought out at this spot, and then Cravos, supported by Smith, came away with a, dribble, which was eventually turned to touch just over the half-way line. Exactly 1I.t mid-way, scrimmaging next commenced. Cardiff got the first pass out from the scrimmage, but no opportunity offering of hreaklng through, Fitzgerald put in a useful kick, which, if followed up, might have had some effect. Humfrey, however, wa« allowed to get in his return practically un- o1)rn-cd, and following up his kick, the Blaekbeath custodian again got possession, and but for selfishness oil his part something tan. gible might have resulted he only succeeded, how- ever, in taking play back to its old place, inside the Cardiff 25 a, few yards further hack play worked and then for picking out of a scrimmage Cardiff were penalised, and Fegan made a fine shot at goal, which fell a yard or two short. Some informality in Biggs' drop back saw a scrimmage ordered on the home 25 Line, from where Blackheath slowly moved to close on the Cardiff goal line. Scrimmages and lines-nut at this spot were bitterly contested, until Cardiff, by some- what lucky kick, got to, outside their 25. From here Fitzgerald got in another useful punt, which put play to exactly half-way. Blackheath, however, were soon back in the ('ardiff quarter, one of the forwards putting in a strong run, which looked like his going m. Two or three of the Cardiff men were required before he could lJe stopped, and a minute later similar trouble was experienced wis.li Toller, who was only brought down on the verge of the line. Just outside the 25 Cardiff were penalised, and Fegan, being called upon, made another fine attempt no more vigorous tackling than did the Cardiff eight on Monday. Both of the halves played superbly, and, alike in defence aud attack, were in lip-wp form. The three-quarters did well until the Ja,;st, ten minutes, when there was one or two bad mulls in their pass- ing. Still, on the whole, there was no fault to find with them. Biggs was ubiquitous. He was the fastest man on the field—in fact, was the Biggs of old. Pearson was smart on the other wing, but a bit weak in tackling. Both centres did well. At back E. P. Biggs made an ideal custodian, his returns being clean and well-judged, whilst his defeüce wis admir- able. BUN CORN V. NEV-POB-T. A holiday crowd which numbered about 5,000 assembled at Newport on Easter Monday morning to witness this match, which, so that it might be clear of the athletic sports in the afternoon, was fixed to begin at eleven o'clock. The day was beautifully fine and summer-like. Shortly after eleven a.m. the teams fielded as follows:—Runcorn Back, S. Houghton; three-quarter backs, H. Myers, G. Robinson, J. Butterworth, and Gregory half-backs, S, Abrams and J. Faulkner forwards, R. Light- foot, J. Langley, J. Davies, H. Williams, J. Autrobus, J. J. Stuhhs, A. Taylor, and G. Moores. Newport: Back, C. J. Thomas; three-quarter backs, A. J. Gould, w. G. James, [(.Thomas, and A. W. Boucher; half-backs, F. C. Pa.rfitt and MatHannen; forwards, T. C. Graham, J. Hannan, A. Henshaw, W. H. Watts, H. Packer, T. Pook, J. Bowiey, and T. Newcombe. Referee. Mr. W. E. Carpmael. Blackheath Football Club. Graham kicked off Ü'0111 the gymnasium end, and the return went in touch near the visitors' 25. The Cheshire forwards wheeled the scrum beautifully, and went off with a, big rush to the centre. Newport quickly responded, and Bowiey rushed up to the visitors' line, where, however, for off-side play, a free was allowed. After open centre work, W. L. Thomas made a, grand sprint, but the ball only rolled over the line and JRuncorn touched down. A vcry hot forward game ensued, with fast, loose scrums, both, packs getting in plenty of sharp work. Newport did most of the attack, and if W. L. Thomas had been properly followed up in his splendid sprints scores must have fallen to the home side. As it was he was allowed to make his own way unattended, and was brought down by Houghton, who played a magnificent game at full back. The Runcorn pack was a hard-working, vigorous lot, with heaps of scrimmaging ability and tackling, which was sound to a degree. A couple of minors, however, were exacted from kicks over by Ll. Thomas. A splendid attack was at length put in by the home three-quarters, [LDd, after fine passing by James, Gould, and Boucher, the last-named ran over, but it was found that Gould had gone in touch in one of his rushes. The advantage thus lost was soon taken up by Bnncom, who, by a good forward rush, got into the home half, and, taking it on, forced a minor. Boucher dropped out, and Sammy Houghton replying in touch, a lot of hot scrimmaging took place at mid-field. It was a hard ding-dong game, the forwards for the most part get- ting the brunt of the work. Newport's passing was a good deal off, and the visitors tackled with great effect, but there were no very conspicuous incidents. Charlie Thomas pluckily saved one or two rushes of the Cheshire forwards. The first try fell to Euucorn from one of a lot of loose, work. Butterworth gathered and threw to Gregory, who rushed over, but Houglitou failed at the place. Close forward work was the order after the drop out. By a series of useful kicks Runcorn got up to the home line, but a few short, sharp passes between Jim Haill1ell, Bowiey, and Packer brought relief, and at mid-field Runcorn was penalised for off-side play, but Boucher's kick was of little advantage. The home passing was too slow and flurried to be of much effect against the keen tackling which it was opposed to, and up to half-time Newport had nothing to boast of. At length Mat Hannen got away clean from a serum and passed out beautifully to Wallace Watts, who rushed xiassed Houghton and landed a grand try, which Gould failed to goal. Half-time was then called, the score standing:— Newport I try, 2 minors. Runcorn 1 try. After the interval Davies re-started and Gonld re- turned to centre touch. Newport started a forward rush, led by Graham and Bowley, which was soon re- sponded to by aflyillg kick back to touch. A round of j18ssing was then mulled by Ll. Thomas knocking on. Gould dropped over the line and Houghton touched down. Play settled near the visitors' 25, but another unsuccessful round. of passing started by Parfitt lost ground, and Charlie Thomas had rush in to save a forward advance on the part of Runcorn, who got along to the Newport 25, where, however, Carpmael gave a penalty in favour of the home side, and Boucher dropped to the centre. Another rush by the visitors' pack took things Oll. and Stubbs kicking over Charlie Thomas touched down. A lot of open centre work and exchange kicking followed. Gregory got clear away for Runcorn, and but for the smart splinting of Boucher he would have ran in with a try, Piay settled at the Newport 25, and was still kept up with the hottest vigour, Newport having to do a Jot of defence work against the hot rushes of the Runcorn forwards. Henshaw and Packer got off with a relieving dribble, but kicking too hard, the ball was smartly gathered by Houghton, who found touch again at the home 25, and the attacks of the visiting forwards were repeated. Davies was winded by a heavy fall in one of the strong scrums, but on play being resumed Faulkner gathered and looked all over a scorer. He was, however, hauled down before he could out to Gregory. A serum. was forced within two yards of the Newport line, but from the tight struggle Harry Packer got off with a nice relieving dribble to the open. Still the Runcom for- wards, by smart wheeling, stuck to the task of forcing the heme men back. Wallace Watts struck out with a dribble, which Houghton again gathered, and found touch near mid-field. Robinson started passing and threw to BHttenv, •rttu who was thrown in touch near the home 25, wùer", 4iic forwards had a series of hard tussles. Pook and Gould rushed the ball out to the centre with good dribbles, and a round of passing between Packer and Boucherdooked like letting the homesters in. Houghton at full back, however, was equal to the pressure for a time, hut after a lot of loose, fast work, a round of long passes ended in Bowley rushing over at the end of the line with a big try. Gould's place hardly rose the ball from the ground. After the drop out Newport again attacked, but a slovenly pass from Gould was missed by James, and a good chance was lost. Just before the call of time a big rush was made by the home for- wards, and a try fell to Henshaw close to the uprights, where Gould had little difficulty in convert- ing. Th'S closed the affair, and the no side wss at l11 ro,! whistled, leaving- the final score- Newport 1 goal, 2 tries, 2 minorg. Buncorn 1 try, 1 minor. REl\IARKS. It was one of the hardest matches which Newport has bad for the season. There was nothing but hard- pegging all the way through, and the disparity in the i score scarcely does credit to the great game which i runcom played. The Cheshire men, especially for- ward, are fit for any company. They showed New- port some tricks in wheeling the scrums..There was one manoeuvre in the scrums which was cer- tainly novel aud effecti.-e. :1he two men lacking last in the scrum as they felt the pressure ease, and the pack giving way oue way or another, would turn round, and instead of facing the scrum do whatever pushing was necessary with their haunches, so that they could see how the hall came out, and in case it was dribbled against them they could fall on and secure it. Taking things through and through on the day's show the Newport forwards were second best. They were slow and wanting in dash and devil until within the last quarter of au hour, and then had some lucky openings to snatch the game away from being any but a satis- factory draw. Newport's forwards either aeein to have given up the art of heeling out or studiously neg ect it. Against a pack of the calibre of Runcorn it did net. pay to try the pushing through game. Houghton, the full hack, made a brilliant display, and thoroughly impressed the Newport people with his capacity for the county and international honours which he has borne. It is a pity that Gould either does not himself practice to do effective place kicking or encourage someone else in the team to do so. Since England has been hons de (;0 ,),a. and Cooper has cleared out there is no one who can be counted to do anything like good place kicking. With moderately well-directed shots the defeat by Blackheath might have been averted and the win against Runcorn been made much more secure. SWANSEA iV. WIGAN. Wigan, after their defeat by Cardiff, journeyed to Swansea on Easter Monday and played the all whites before a huge Bank Holiday crowd. The weather was very warm. There were about 8,000 spectators present. The following were the players, there being several felterations from Saturday's teams:- Svmisea: Back, W.J. Bancroft: three-quarter backs, C. Coke, C. Tanner, Gordon, and E. Thorogood; half tacks, Blaekmore and J. Wilcox forwards, F. Mills, Ii., Th. -mas, J. Jenkins, Arthur Lewis, Alt" Lewis, S. Rico, Russell, and W. Smith. Wiya,i ■ Back, Wiu- stmiley three-quarter backs, J. E. Roberts, J. Railtou. J. Wdkden, and W. Whitehead ^h&lf backs, W. Halli well aud H, Faireleugh forwards, W. UnsViottb, G, Higby, U. M'Namara, E. Webster, J. Lowe, E. Deiupsey, J. Darbisbire, and J. Horroeks. Referee, Mr. Gavin Hour" Llaneliy. Wei-ster kicked off for Wiean from the Mumbles end and Bancroft returned to the centre. From here Thorogood gave Coke a chance, and he darted off and was not pulled down till he encountered Win- stanley OIl the Wigan goal line. Thence,, after a Wigan got away by good forward play to the centre, and here Walkden kicked up over che Swansea line. Bancroft leisurely followed it over to allow a touch down and dribbled it quietly ou, seats the character of the game. Even at the en^ Wigan showed fight, and the last five mÜJutes ""2.8 the warmest they gave Swansea. The try they got, however, in the first five minutes was a regular fluke, and was brought about entirely by Bancroft's coolness," which sometimes with him is a synonym for recklessness. He had heaps of time to kick out of bounds, but the Wigan man followed him determinedly, and dropped on it whilst he was playing it with his feet. Two penalty goals brought them npsides with Wigan at half-time, and in the second half Coke crossed twice and Tanner once, leaving Swansea a big macrgin for go-as-you-please play at the end. Haltiwell, the visitors' captain, was about their best- back, and Unsworth, Bigby, and Webster were the most dashing forwards. Bancroft played a champion game for Swansen., kicking superbly all through. The halves had the best of their opponents for once, and the three-quarters ail did well, especially Coke and Riee. Mills and Russell were the best of the pack, who played the best game of the season. DEYONPOBT ALBION V. PENAETH. This Easter attraction took place at Plymouth on Monday at the Home Park ground, the Albions winning by a goal and one try to two tries. Each team had a strong combination in the field, the only notable absentee being Alexander, the right wing flyer of the visitors. Quite 10,000 spectators were present. The teams were :—.ilWon W. Hocken, back H. George, W. E. Sowden, W. Bildings, and P. Webber, three-quarters W. George and J. Long- half-baeks; G. Allington (captain), A. May, W. Chiswell, J. Fox, J. Laverty, F. Long, F. Tozer, and F. Mallett, forwards. Penarth: C. T. Kirby, hack; H. Kirby, R. M. Garrett, H. E. Morgan (captain), and W. G. Lambert, three-quarters; G. W. Shep- herd and T. H. Hutchings, half-backs G. Brown, E. Ellis, P. Jckson, T. Morris, E. Evans, J. L. Lawday, G.IMatthews, and W. Gibbs, forwards. Referee, Mr. R. H. Rowe, Exeter. Gibbs kicked off, and the Albion attacked. Scrumming well, Penarth attacked, and after a rare bout of passing Shepherd scored under the post, but Garrett failed. On resuming, play for a time was very even. Albion scrumming well, however, got away in a body, and after a set of exchanges Bildings steered clear, but failed to get in. Kirby was to the front in transferring play to half-way, but Albion came away, and, after Webber had cleared Morgan, Fox scored, but the kick was off. On the kick out Albion played a smart game, and only the splendid defence of the visitors saved what looked like a certain score. Albion, after attacking strongly, gave a splendid chance to Bildings, who ran through, and, being tackled, handed Oil to Webber, who scored. axd, majorising, the home men led by eight points to three. This was all the scoring in the first half, but on re- suming play Albion attacked, keeping a close look- cut. Shepherd and Hutchings took play to half- way, but Tozer soon dribbled back. Smart work by both teams kept play on the dividing line, strong runs by Webber and Sowden being responded to by Kirby, who kicked to the centre. Shepherd took play to the Albion 25 again. A strong effort by Lambert was spoiled by Sowden, and after some loose play Bildings penetrated the Penarth quarters. Albion commenced to attack, but, the passing failing, Kirby and Shepherd got away, and after a series of scrums on the half-way Kirby ran in at the corner. Garrett, however, failed to place a goal. On re-starting, Penarth tried hard to break through, but the Albion defence was superb, ami at the close of tiJne/the home men were declared the winners by eight points to six. REMAKES. Ou the day's form All, were the superior team. Over and over again their backs ran and passed to perfection, but a miss at the critical moment by one or the other of the wings spoiled many a good bit of play. The forwards of the home team barely held their own, hut George and Long at half proved supe- rior to Hutchinson and Shejjpard. The three-quarters of both teams were in fine form, but Sowden and BildÙlgs for the Albion were far superior to Morgan and Garrett. Of the wings Percy Webber, of the home team, was a- big first-, his touch-line runs being extremely effective. Hubbert George also did well, but second honours must be accorded to Kirby, who played a splendid game for the visitors, and bv a marvellous effort scored the second try. Glarrett also.rendered good service, but his play was far below international form, and, taken on the whole, disappointing-. Lambert had not much to do, but what be did was sruar1>:Y done. Of the full backs nothing but praise can be said. TYLDESLEY V. KEATH. The Lancastrians, continuing their tour, encoun- tered Neath oil Monday on the Bird-in-Haad Field before a record gate. The following were the teams: —Tyid-esley Back, J. Fearney three-quarter hacks, E. Evans, H. Shaw, H. Taylor, and J. B. Howarth half backs, W. Berry and J. Berry; forwards, J. Shejiherd, W, Sutelifle, J. Tucker, Gerrard, J. Fell, Fearnley, Worthington, and Roberts. Neath: Back, Joe Davies three-quarter backs, W. Jones, J. Forbes, J. Bees, and Y. Davies; half backs, W. Thomas and A. Cross; forwards, F. Hutchinson, A. Hutchinson, H. Jones, Griff Lewis, J. Edwards, J. Reynolds, M. Reynolds, and T. Thomas. Referee, J)1r, J. Meredith. Tyl.icsley kicked off, aud F. Davies smartly returned to the visitors' territory, where a scrum was formed. The visitors were very smart in getting the bail away, but were penalised, and Joe Davies got a minor by a long kick. After the re-start the Northerners displayed some dribbling tactics, and gained considerable ground, but Hutchinson was on the rdert, and gave his backs a chance, Cross and W. Jones showing prominently. From a line out the N eathites got well away, and Cross, receiving from Wat Thomas, dropped a lovely goal. Sha w re-started. F. Davies punted well, and, backing up his kick, got, near scoring, but Gerrard, Fell, an<iHow",rG saved well. The Tykes wore shortly afterwards rewarded with a minor. Hutchinson re- commenced hostilities by kicking well into the whites' ground, and Jones, following up, prevented the return, and for off-side play by Vi. Berry the visitors were hgicill penalised. Phy was now delayed through one of the Lancastrians being temporarily injured. Fearney, the visiting custodian, was well cheered for a long run and kick, which put his side on the aggressive. Shortly after Cross gave relief by a kick. Play was now in mid-field, and became very exciting, when Shaw and Worthington were instrumental in removing the venue to the homesters' line. W. Jones, Hutchiuson, and Lewis got well away, and F. Davies missed an excelleur chance of scoring. Taylor, taking a long pass, ran in from half way. The place kick proved futile. Half-time score:— Neath 1 dropped goal, 1 minor Tyidesley 1 try, 1 minor Hutchinson, the international forward, Meted off, and the visiting forwards, headed by Tucker, Sut- clifie, and Fell, dribbled down and obtained another ;>lÍnor. tile visitors pelllied the N eathlte» minor. Resuming, tne visitors penned the Neathites on their hue, and Joe Davies' kick being charged down, nearly proved disastrous for the homesters. Jim Reynolds, Lewis, and Howel Jones burst through with a dribble, hut kicked too hard, and Fearnley put in a judicious kick, and Evans scored in the corner. The place again failed. On the resump- tion of play the Neathites played with more dash and vigour, and the game became very rough, Wat Thomas and Howel Jones being injured. The visitors forced two minors in rapid succession. Then Sut- cliffe scored a try, which converted. The homesters were now played out, and the visitors were having it all their own way, rushing the scrums in fine form. After a serum the visitors were peualiEet1, Cross essaying for goal, but the kick fell short. Time was nov/ called with the score: — Tyidesley 1 goal, 2 tries, 3 minors Neath 1 (dropped) goal, 1 minor PONTYPRIDD V. LLW STNYPIA. Pontypridd 1 try, 1 minor Llwyuypia 3 minors. B. « "ltKS. The score pretty accurately indicates the character of the giiiue. The visitors seemed to have everything pretty well their own way during the greater part of the first half, hud the fact that they did not score was simply due to the tackling of the homesters. Quite a change came over the second half. Ends 113;i scarcely been changed before it was seen that the homesters were bent upon making matters warm for the lads from the Ehondda,whose tackling was deadly and their passing smart, short, and effective, but, in spite of their efforts, the homesters penned them in their own ter- ritory. That the homesters would score seemed pretty certain, and the scene was of the wiU.iest description when Greene planted the ball on the right side of the line. Pontypridd thoroughly deserve the title of "Champions of the Rliondda." At the end of the game Greene was carried out of the field on tae shoulders of the more enthusiastic of his admirers. WELSH CUY-FINAL TIE. CRiER V. WESTMINSTER ROVERS. Played in Wynnstay Park, Baabon, on Monday. The weather was glorious, and the attendance was IHrge. In the first half neither side scored, but the second half had not longheen started before Blockiey scored the first goal for Chirk. Before the finish Chirk obtained another point, and won by two goals to one. The cup was afterwards presented to the winners by Mr. L. Ken-nek. CHARITY MATCH AT CARDIFF The teams selected to play a match at the Cardiff i rms Park in aid of St. Teilo's Church this (Tues- day) afternoon have been slightly altered. Mr. Norman Biggs's team wr;U be composed as follows -.— Back, D. Fitzgerald; three-quarter backs, T. W. Pearson, J. H. Fegan, J. E. Elliott, aud Norman Biggs half backs, B. J8. Sweet-Escott and Selwyn Biggs; forwards, W. H, Smith, J. G. Bigby, F.

The Flat Racing Season.









The Graigoia Dispute at Swansea.…