Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page






FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE. The Druids Football Club will be seriously affected at the loss temporarily of the services of their well-known custodian, Sam Jones, owing to the embodiment of the Wrexham Militia, with which Jones is connected. Jones had proved an admirable acquisition to the "Ancients," having figured in several international contests, and gained universal commendation by the Press in general for his remarkable coolness. FRIENDLY MATCHES. Corwen v. Rhosymedre St. Johns.—These teams met in a friendly encounter on the ground of the former, on Saturday, The homesters won the toss and decided to play with a very slight breeze in their favour. They had the best of matters for a considerable time after the start and gave the visitors' custodian some hard shots which he saved magnificently, but was at last beaten and Corwen secured their first goal. The visitors then seemed to put more energy into the game and managed after one or two good saves by the homesters' custodian to place the ball between the posts, and thus equalising. After this some midfield play followed until the whistle blew for haft-time, with the score at one goal each. Ia the last half the visitors had the best of the game but failed to score, owing to the splendid play of Williams and Jones at back. The homesters, through a bit of fine play by some of the forwards, managed to add two more goals to their credit, and when the whistle went the result stood-Corwen, three goals St. John's, one. The Corwen team are doing exceedingly well this year. Chapman, their goalkeeper, improves in every match, and will do some good work during the season. The backs are unequalled, and the placing of Rees on the centre-half is a great improvement, as he plays a capital game. Hollis also played a good game on Saturday. W. Jones was not up to his usual form. The forward line also do some good bit of play, for T. LI. Jones and D. R. Edwards plays a very good game, so does Williams, Owen and Roberts. The Reserves of the Saints however fared much better on their own hearth on the same after- noon, when the Corwen reserves were their opponents. The Young Saints had considerably the better of the game and romped home easily by ten goals to one. Corwen (lvednesdays) v. Druids Half Holiday. -These teams met on Wynnstay Park, Ruabon, Wednesday, last week, in rather dull weather. The home captain won the toss and decided to kiek up. From the kick-off Corwen forwards made a good attempt to get to the home goal, but they were repulsed by the home defence. The game became very exciting. Fine play was witnessed on both sides. T. LI. Jones ran the ball to the home quarters, but was repulsed, the ball ultimately going behind. From the goal kick the home right got possession of the ball and were running it up when D. C. Jones checked them in splendid fashion. The visiting forwards on the right made a grand show, Dr. Edwards, after a neat pass by Owen, dribbled the bail past the half-backs and backs, and from a beautiful centre Owen headed the ball just a few inches over the bar. From the goal kick the home forwards got possession and ran it up, their centre forward shot it into goal, which the visiting custodian had not the least chance of stopping. From the centre kick the Corwen forwards worked beautifully, T. Ll. Jones having possession, ran the leather down and succeeded in centering, the forwards having hard lines in not scoring after some head work. The ball was sent outside, thus relieving the pressure. From the goal kick the home left got posession and attempted to make a run up, but they found W. Jones too mnch for them. Dr. Edwards again played it down and centred, J. R. Williams putting the ball into goal, but the referee disallowed the point. Play from this to the interval was mostly confined to the home quarters, the two visiting outside wingers centreing beautifully, the forwards having very hard lines in not scoring on many oceasions. Interval arrived with the score standing :-Druids Half Holiday, one goal; Corwen, nil. The second half was very well contested, both sides playing in m dashing form. The home centre had one or two chances to score, but his shots were either going outside or high over the bar. Dr. Edwards ran the ball up and centred, Bellis shot, just missing by half an inch, the ball going against the post. The full backs cleared and the ball travelled down the field, but was soon back again. T. LI. Jones made some very good runs. Rees shot what to all appearance seemed a certain goal, but the custodian was in time to save it. The ball was confined to midfield for a short time. T. LI. Jones got it, made a dashing run up to be repulsed, by the back, who, however, displayed some selfishness, but was very neatly robbed by Bellis, amidst cheers. The ball was sent to the visiting right wiag, Dr. Edwards running it up, but he kept it too long and was robbed. He again got possession and ran with it up the field and succeeded in centreing from a difficult position. The ball travelled across the goal mouth and Bellis met and put it in goal amidst enthusiastic cheers, and thus equalising. Corwen kept up the pressure frpm then to the finish. The whistle blew for the finish a short time earlier owing to the darkness. Final Corwen, one goal; Druids Half Holiday, one. Both custodians are worthy of good praise for the excellent work which they did for their respective sides. Wallis, the visiting right half-back,attacked splendidly and fed his forwards well. The following represented Corwen team :—Goal, E. Westley; backs, W. Jones and D. C. Jones: half-backs, Wallis, L. Rees and J. Edwards; forwards, Dr. D. R. Edwards, Owen, J. R. Williams, Bellis and T. LI. Jones. SOAMES' CHARITY CUP (SECOND ROUND). Llangollen United v. Broughton United f Wrex- harn).-These teams met on the Tower Field, on Saturday, before a good attendance. Llangollen won the toss (Morris has not once lost the toss since the commencement of the season), and sustained a strong attack for some time, occasional visits to the home goal proved fruitless, owing to the sound defence of C. Jones and Hughes, although on one occasion Thomas, for the visitors, was within an ace of scoring when "off-side" pulled him up. Llangollen took up the attack, but the shooting was bad, though Tom Thomas once struck the bar with a really grand shot. The game was stopped for a time owing to C. Jones being hurt. The visitors hereabouts were playing a very rough game, Morris also having been kicked and limping badly. Charlie pluckily resumed, amidst cheers, though perceptibly suffering. Just before the, interval, Lloyd opened the scoring, after a clever display by the whole of the forwards, Llangollen thus leading at half-time by one goal to nil. Broughton, in the second half, strove hard to win and just after re-starting, Westley, who did very well in goal all through the match, thrice cleared with the visiting forwards all round him. Llan- gollen undoubtedly held the upper hand, but Samuels and Jones, the Broughtou backs, tackled and kicked splendidly. The former, who played for Wrexham three seasons ago, seems to be playing as good a game as ever. Exciting play continued until the call of "time," Llangollen being left winners of a hard-fought game. Seore Llangollen United, one goal; Broughton, nil. PEXBIGrSHIRE AND DISTRICT LEAGUE. WUsniere Rangers v. St. Martins.—Played at St. M^uns, on Saturday. Half-time:—Ellesmere, 3 goals St. Martins, 0. The Rangers played ten men the last half, but held the upper hand, although handicapped. The game Was stopped fourteen minutes from the olose, owing to darkness, the Rangers then leading by three goals to nil. Druids Reserve v. Wrexham Reserve.- The meet- ing of these two teams on Wynnstay Park on Saturday afternoon last attracted a good attendance. The game was well-contested throughout, although at the interval the "Young Ancients" held the upper band and led by 2 goals to one. Resuming, Wrexham broke away quickly and equalised in an easy manner. They were again successful, Edwards submitting a third time. Owing to the late arrival of the visitors the latter part of the game was fought out in the twilight. During this period the homesters gained what was considered a legitimate goal, but it was disallowed by Mr. J. Cutland (St. Martins) the referee, who, ten minutes before full time abandoned the game with Wrexham, leading by three goals to two. COMBINATION. Wrexham v. Llandudno Swifts.—This return fixture was decided on Wrexham Racecourse, on Saturday afternoon, in the presence of a fair number of spectators. The home team tried two new forwards in Jones, who last year played in the Combination matches for Liverpool, and Rowlands, of Newton Rangers, Chester. The result was— Wrexham, four goals Llandudno Swifts, two. Chirk v. Rhyl.—Much interest centered in the meeting of these teams at the sea-side resort. Chirk came within two or three narrow chances of scoring, but the home defence proved impregnable. Certainly Chirk were awarded a free kick close in, but the ball was put behind. Tracey Morgan, the Chirk custodian, was tested twice, and in his characteristic style made easy clearances. A hard fought game resulted in a pointless draw, neither team locating the net. Druids v. Newtown.—The Cefn men visited Newtown on Saturday. Some of the homesters were late in arriving, and they had to start with only nine men. Both goals were quickly threatened, but both Reese and Sam Jones kept their charges intact. Tommy Davies nullified a good opportunity by placing behind from a corner kick. Parry scored for Newtown, and the interval arrived with New- town leading by one to nil. In the second half the Druids were extremely unfortunate and lacked in shooting tactics. The news that the Druids had dropped two points by a defeat of four goals to one occasioned much surprise on Saturday night at Cefn Mawr, as on the previous Saturday Chirk beat Newtown by flve goals to nil.




Family Notices