Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page




FOOTBALL INTELLIGENCE. Shosymedre St. Johns v. Ruabon Albion Reserve.- These teams met on Brookside, Rhosymedre, on Saturday, in fine weather. The Saints proved by far the superior team and won easily by three goals to nil. Wrexham St. Giles Reserve v. Llangollen United Reserve.—These teams met at Wrexham, on Saturday, before a moderate attendance. The home team won the toss, and Clarke kicked off for the United, who had to act on the defensive for some time, Edwards saving some fine shots. The home right wing troubled the visitors' defence, and after a fine centre Edwards notched the first point for them. This reverse roused the visitors, Roberts and Hughes got away on the left and from the former's centre Clarke shot wide. The United forwards were now playing well, Edwards and Jones with some good passing brought the United to attack, and Clarke succeeded in equalising for the visitors. The home forwards made a well-combined run, but L. Hughes and J. Westley were safe at back. Some long kicking by the home backs gave an advantage to their forwards who sent in some stiff shots which Edwards repelled in clever fashion. Several corners fell to the home lot, and from a well placed corner the home team gained the lead. After a brief spell of attack the United forwards got away and Edwards equalised from a fine centre by Roberts, so at half-time the game stood—United Reserve, 2 goals St. Giles Reserve, 2. On resuming, the visiting team began to press but could not score, owing to the stubborn defence of the home team. Good half-back play by Roberts and Ellis stopped the home team from getting dangerous, and play was in midfield. Some poor half-back play by the visitors' right the home left wing raced away and Edwards scored the third goal. thus leaving St. Giles winners of a well- contested game by three goals to two. Llangollen United v. Druids -Reserve. -Through the kindness of the Druids committee in allowing their reserve team to come down on very short notice, this friendly match was played on the Tower Field last Saturday in unfavourable weather. Mr. Davies, Druids F.C., acted as referee, Llan- gollen being represented by their usual eleven. In the first portion of the game the Druids were better than the home team, their combination and strong kicking showing up by comparison with the weak efforts of the homesters in this direction. Two goals were scored by the visitors in this half, the home centre-half presenting them with their second goal, Westley's view of the ball being obscured. In the second half the United played up with splendid dash, improvement showing every- where. Bushby and Morris were disallowed goals, and Lloyd had "hard lines" after defeating the backs. One legitimate goal only was scored in this half, and that by Wynne Morris for the home side, which was the "tit-bit" of the afternoon's play. Morris received the ball near the half-way line, dribbled past four or five of his opponents and working on to the left wing screwed in from near the touch line, completely beating the visiting goalkeeper. The game had to be abandonedijowing to the light being bad with Llangollen pressing. Final result Druids, 2 Llangollen, 1. In con- clusion, we would suggest one or two little rules for future games, and feel sure that the result of the above game would have been far different had the players' aims been directed as below advised Combination for the forwards, backing up for the halves, and kicking with no dribbling for the backs. NORTH WALES COAST LEAGUE. Llandudno Swifts v. Denbigh.—At Llandudno. The Swifts played their Combination team, minus Robertson, in goal. The visitors were completely outclassed, and were defeated easily by ten goals to one. DENBIGHSHIRE AND DISTRICT LEAGUE. Oswestry Reserve v. St. Martins.—At Oswestry. The home side soon gained the upper hand, notching four points by Mack (two), Evans, and Roberts. Half-time was then called, St. Martin's being pointless. Crossing over, Oswestry showed their superiority, Sc. Martin's seldom getting dangerous. Mack, Hammond, and Morris increased the Oswestry seore to double figures. Result :— Oswestry, ten goals St. Martin's, one. DRAW FOR THE WELSH JUNIOR CUP (SECOND ROUND). The draw for the Welsh Junior Cup has resulted a.s follows :-Division 1 Rhyl Church Guild v. Rhyl Reserves Llanrwst Town v. Llandudno Reserves Bangor Reserves v. Holyhead Swifts Colwyn Bay v. Carnarvon Ironopolis Reserve. Division 2: Rossett v. Coedpoeth Victoria; Llangollen v. Wrexham Victoria; Wrexham Old Boys v. Broughton United Dolgelley v. Adwy United. Division 3 Oswestry United Reserve v. Whitchurch Alexandra Ruabon Albion v. Derwen Rangers St. Martins v. Llanfyllin; Whittington v. Druids Reserves. Division 4 St. George's v. Welshpool Reserves Newtown Reserves v. Pontesbury; Royal Welsh Warehouse v. Singleton and Coles; Snailbeaeh Wanderers v. Barrack Rovers.—Ties to be played off on or before December 9th. Kick-off 2.30 prompt. First-named club has choice of around. COMBINATION. Druids v. Ba.ngor.—These old rivals met on Wynnstay Park, on Saturday, before a good attend- ance. Beautiful weather prevailed, and both clubs were strongly represented. The Druids did not play up to their usual standard, but the visitors were prominent for their determined rushes. During one of these the seasiders were successful in penetrating the home defence and scored. R. Jones equalised and Spencer put the homesters ahead, the interval shortly arriving. No further scoring occurred, the Ancients penning their opponents in but failing to score. On the other hand Bangor broke away thrice and almost were successful. The game ended in a win for the Druids by two goals to one. Chírk v. Newtown.-Newtown, who defeated Oswestry United on the previous Saturday by three goals to nil, visited Chirk on Saturday, but were then Dot so successful. A most interesting match, prolific of a, scientific exposition of the invigorating game, was witnessed by a good attendance in ideal weather. Chirk included James in their team in preference to Wynne, but the visitors were at a disadvantage. throughout the game with only four forwards. Added to this it should be mentioned such clever exponents as Mytton, Parry, and Owen were absent. Newtown won the toss and Lockley commenced operations for Chirk. A spirited incursion on the part of the visitors resulted in Morris fisting out. After a few interesting exchanges the homesters got down and Lockley experienced hard lines. Newtown became extremely troublesome and made some of their characteristic speedy rushes. Admiration was rained on Edwards, the Newtown custodion, who cleared repeatedly in a marvellous manner. Newtown contined their dangerous rushes, but Joe Roberts located the net ten minutes before the interval, when Chirk led by one goal to nil. Chirk for a time afterwards were on the defence, but relieving they severely pressed Newtown and play was of a. fast and invigorating nature. From a foul Meredith located the net, but the ball passing untouched, no goal was awarded. E. Williams, from Meredith, was instru- mental in scoring the second goal for Chirk. Edwards followed in a keen struggle by fisting out cleverly twice, and Latham by shooting wide failed to register for the visitors. Lockley now took Edwards by surprise and netted. A minute later Meredith finely placed from a corner kick and R. Morris registered a third goal. Chirk custodian at length was tested severely, but he cleared splendidly. Owing to an undoubted misunderstanding, Lockley was let in and augumented the score, and half a minute later S. Roberts, after a brilliant run with an oblique high shot again defeated the Newtown custodian. A sensational game ended in a win for Chirk by five goals to nil. Four goals were registered in ten minutes and a half, but Newtown like uie Boers, appeared as fresh as ever with their frequent rushes. Reese was the best of the visitors, whilst Meredith and Lockley were the pick of the homesters.








Family Notices