Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page

Haverfordwest POSTAL regulation





HAVERFORDWEST PETTY SESSIONS. These sessions were held at the Shire Hall, on Thurs- day, before the Mayor, J. W. Phillips, Esq, James Bowen, Esq, and Thomas Rule Owen, Esq.. REMOVING NIGHT-SOIL IN THE DAY-TIME. William Codd, of St Martins, was charged with re- moving night-soil from his premises in the day-time, and Thomas Handcoclt was charged with aiding in the commission of the offence. Mr Codd said he did not employ the othcy defendant, and had nothing to do with the matter. The Clerk said that he supposed Mr Codd' would not d'eny that the soil was removed from his prenMMs, and in that case he should have prevented it being done.. Mr Cecil said tbia-'was the first case that had ocourred since the issuing of the notice, and be would', with the permission of the Btench, withebaw the case an the de- fendants paying the costs. Mr Bowen said that a great many more persons should have been proceeded against, because the practice ought to be put a stop to. Mr Cecil said that, in the future, all cases of A'similar nature would be brought before the Bench. The Mayor said that the Bench had consented' to the withdrawal of the case,, but it must be understood that in the future, when informations of that kind were laid, the cases would be gone through. It was a very great nuisance to have such filth removed in the day-time, and it was an offence under the Gas Act. A notice was given last August, and he hoped that th& present case would act as a stringent notice to the public, and prevent the removal of night-soil in the day-time. The case was then withdrawn, the defendants Binder- taking to pay the costs. Mr Codd wanted to know why Mr Jones of the White Horse, who had committed a similar offence on the same day, was not proceeded against? The Clerk: That is a matter between Mr Cecil and the Corporation. Mr Cecil said that a similar case had not occurred at the White Horse, and that Mr Codd had not correctly stated the matter. The Mayer said that any person might lay an infor- mation of that sort. The Clerk said he should issue summonses if they were applied for. Hancock stated the offence was being committed that moment in Hill Lane.. Mr Cecil despatched a policeman to make enquiry. On his return, Mr Cecil said that the statement made by Handcock was incorrect, because what was being removed in Hill Lane was dry ashes. Mr Codd said what had occurred in his case was. dot:e quite innocently he was not aware that any notice had been issued. The Mayor said that one was posted up near Mr. Codd's residence. Mr Codd replied that he did not see it. It was the fault of the man who had bought the ashes that it was not removed in the proper time. CHARGE OF STEALING AN OVERCOAT AND GLOVES. William Edwardes, of Prendergast, a labourer, was charged with stealing from the Swan Inn on Saturday, the 28th of March, an overcoat and a pair of gloves, the property of Mr William Thomas, of Froghall, in the parish of Spittal. The prosecutor deposed: I live at Frogball, in the parish of Spittal. I was at the Swan Inn, Haverford- west, on the 28th of March. I left my overcoat and gloves in the smoking room about 10 o'clock in the fore- noon. I returned about half-past four, and could not find my coat and gloves. I went home without them I saw them to-day at the police office. Those produced are mine: they are worth L-2 10s. Ann Waters deposed I am a single woman, and live with my father in Ruther Lane. I saw the prisoner las,t Saturday. I met him on the Old Bridge in the afternoon, between one and two o'clock. We walked about the town for about an hour, and were then joined by another man named William Owen. We went into the Swan Inn, and had something to drink. I saw an overcoat there. The prisoner said, Whoever left this coat here must have been drunk howeygr, he would take it, and if any ahQ^ Squire for it, he say that he look it in mistake for bis own." He took the coat, but did not put it on. He had nO great coat with him before then. I had known the prisoner before, and I asked him to put the coat back. He said he would take it for a bit of fun. He was rathep drunk. We all went out, and we all asked him to go back with the coat. He went back but did not come out again. Another person went to look for him, but could not find him. I did not see him again that day. I went down to the Swan Inn that evening to enquire whether he had re- turned the coat, because I did not feel comfortable about it. P.C. Harries deposed: At six o'clock on Sunday evening, I went in search of the prisoner, and appre- hended him. He had the coat now produced on his arm. r saw him going towards the Swan Inn, and he was in the act of giving It into the servant's hands when I laid hold of it, and charged him with stealing it. I cautioned him. He told me that he had taken the coat in mistake: he had heard the police bad been at his father's; he thought it was about the coat and he had taken it back. He also said the lining of the coat was the same as his own, and that he had lost his own coat either at the Fishguard Arms or at the Three Crowns, in High-street. He said he .left the coat at a public house in Prendergast, th,t hearing the police had been at his father's he called at the public house on Sunday evening, and brought the coat back. The coat now produced is the one: there are a pair of gloves in OJSE of the pockets. The prisoner said be had not said half of what had been given in evidence by the witness. In cross-examination, P.C. Harries said he did not take the coat from the servant girl. This was the case for the prosecution. The prisoner, in answer to the charge, said be was not guilty of stealing the coat. He tbok it away, and carried it back. He had lost his own somewhero, and be had been In the Swan Inn before the time at which he took the coat. The Bench committed the prisoner to take liis trial at the next quarter sessions. The Bench expressed their willingness to accept bail for his appearance, and a per- son came forward as his surety; but the prisoner stated that be had no money to pay the expenses of the bail, and remarking that there was but a week to wait for his trial, preferred going to prison, and was accordingly committed.

"T E N B Y.