Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page


[No title]


SERIOUS ACCIDBNT TO SIR U. CRESSWELL. — On Saturday morning several causes in in the Divorce Court were speoially appointed for hearing, the jurors who had been summoned being in attendance at the usual hour, when thev were informed by Mr Billinge, the chief clerk of the Judge Ordinary, that owing to an unfortunate accident which ocsnrred to his lordship on the previous evening, after leaving the court, he was prevented from sitting that day, and that the hearing of the several cases was therefore postponed till Wednesday next. It appears that as Sir Cresswell was riding home- wards on Friday evening about six o'clock, up Constitu. tion-hill, the axletree of Lord Aveland's carriage, which was being driven up the hill, suddenly broke, and the horse becoming unmanageable, rushed forward, dragging horse becoming unmanageable, rushed forward, dragging after them the fore part of the vehicle, and struck Sir Cresswell Cresswell, who was riding in front of the carriage, with such force as to knock his horse com- pletely over. Sir Cresswell fortunately escaped with merely a fracture of the knee cap and a severe shaking. He was picked up by Sir Thomas Fremantle who was passing at the time, and conveyed at his own desire to ¡ St. (reorge s Hospital, where bis injuries were attended to, and he afterwards was removed to his residence at Prince's-gate, Hyde Park. From the latest accounts the learned judge is stated to be going on favourably but it will prjbsbly be some time before he will be able to resume hia judicial function*. I THREE AT A BIRTH.-On Wednesday morning the wife of a labourer, whose name is Charles Looney, was delivered of three children (two boys and a giri), at 15, Edward-street, Dockhead, Bermondsey. The children are all healthy and living. The family, unfortunately, are in very poor circumstances. THE ALLEGED CAPTURE OF THE MOSES TAYLOR BY THE ALABAMA.-From the shipping reports received a Lloyd's on Monday, it appears that the alleged capture of the Moses Taylor steamer by the Alabama is without foundation, the arrival of thatjvessel at San Franoisco 011 the 7th June from San Joan del Sur being officially re- ported. FATAL ACCIDENT AT WIMBLEDON.-A bout twelve o'clock on Monday a fatal accident happened to a man who was engaged in cutting grass on the railway bank at the Wimbledon station, Sonth-Western line. While in the act of crossing the rails he was struck by a down train, and instantly killed. The unfortunate man was endea- vouring to get out of the way of an up train, and did not observe the other approaching. MANSLAUGHTER.—On Friday Mr Humphreys held an inquest relative to the death of Mr Charles White, 57 years old, the proprietor of the Nag's Head Tavern, Whitechapel-road, who expired on Tuesday last, under the following circumstances: Chandler, 117 H, said that he was on duty on the night of the 24th of June. He was in conversation with Mr White on the pavement out side of his door. Witness had seen a woman of the name of Annie Sullivan turned out of the house shortly before. Suddenly Mr White put his hand up to his head, and said 'Catch hold of that woman, policeman. She has struck my head.1 Witness heard something fall on the pavement, and saw the woman standing near by. He caught bold of her and said, What do yon mean by cutting the man's head open She replied, 'A good job too. I wish I had killed Close beside her witness found the stone produced. There was blood on it. On the way to the station the woman said, 'I have been in a lunatic asylum, recollect that. I do not know what 1 am doing of, mind.' Mr Carter, house surgeon at the London Hospital, said that deceased had a lacerated wound on the left side of the back of the head. He had lost a great deal of blood. Erysipelas ensued from the wound, and that was the immediate cause of death. A verdict of manslaughter against Annie Sullivan was returned. MONT BLANCJ.—'Lately,' says the Abeille de Chamou- nix, 'the cannon at the Royal Hotel announced the arrival at the summit of Mont Blanc of an ascensionist, the first that has this year accomplished the feat. An English gentleman named Kenny, and a Russian, started on this perilous excursion, and the former succeeded in reaching the summit. The same day a melancholy scene took place at the cemetery of Ghamounix—the burying of the remains of a human body lately thrown out from a crevice in the ice of the Glacier des Bossons—a foot covered with flesh, and adhering by the nerves to adried- up thigh bone of one of the three victims of the fatal ascent of Mont Blanc in 1820. By the side of the foot was found a compass, probably that of the doctor, and carried by the guide Auguste Tairraz, as stated by the surviving guides, and which fact leaves but little doubt of the identity of the limb now found. Strange to say, it was the grandson of Tairraz who discovered it.' The terrible accident so summarily alluded to above was that which occurred when Colonel Anderson, Dr. Hamel, and their party attempted the ascent, and when Pierre Bal- mat, Pierre Carriez, and Auguste Tairraz lost their lives by the fall of an avalanche. Several other guides were precipitated at the same time by the failing mass of snow into a crevasse, but ultimately got out. Nothing hap- pened to the gentlemen who were attempting the ascent. CHARGE OF WIFE MURDER-At the Southwark Police- court, on Friday, Joseph Howes, aged 40, a porter, residing at 84, Upper Ground-street, Blackfriars-road, was charged before Mr Combe with wilfully murdering Sarah, his wife. John Mansfield, 70, L, stated that on the previous night he arrested the prisoner in the water closet of a public-house. Witness said to him, 'I apprehend you for the murder of your wife.' To which he replied, 'God bless her. I would not hurt a hair of her head. llove her too well.' Jane Chatfield deposed that she lodged on the same floor as the prisoner andh is family. She knew that they quarrelled on the previous evening, as the deceased, who had been drinking, came into her room. About nine o'clock she left. Her husband met her near the door and they quarrelled again, and entered their own room. She was about to follow, when the prisoner pushed her back and shut her out. She then heard screams, and called ont, Don't murder your wife.' In about twenty minutes the prisoner opened the door and left the place. Witness then went in and found deceased lying on her face on the floor, and saw blood streaming out of her eyes and mouth. She was dead. Witness then went and fetched a doctor. She had once heard the prisoner say, 4 One of these days I'll give it to you,' and she believed that his violence caused her death. The medical testimony went to prove that death might have occurred either from the prisoner's violence or excessive drinking. In reply to the charge, the prisoner who seemed very dejected, said he had nothing to say. He was then remanded. SERIOUS FIRES.—About 7.45 a.m. on Friday a very alarming fire happened on the premises belonging to Mr J. El!iottt, a pawnbroker, and silversmith, carrying on business in Queen's-row, Pimlico. The disaster took place in the warehouse on the second floor, used for stowing away the pledges, and before any attempt could be made to get the fire under, the flames had travelled round the room. The engines of the parish and London Brigade quickly attended, and a good supply of water being obtained, the firemen went to work, but were un- able to get the flames extinguished until the warehouse was seriously damaged by fire, any the lower part by water. The origin of the fire is unknown. Fortunately the proprietor of the premises was insured, but none of the poor people having goods in pledge were.—A fire of a destructive character broke out on the premises of Mr Thmoas Smith, a grocer and cheesemonger, No. 18 College-street, Chelsea. The Royal Society's escapes and the engines of the parish and London Brigade having arrived, the firemen, under Mr Staples, the chief officer of the C district, went to work, but they were unable to get the flames extinguished until the stock in trade was nearly all destroyed, and the building severely damaged. The loss will fall upon the Liverpool and London and Norwich Union Fire Omces.—A very destructive fire broke out on Thursday night on the premises of Mr J. Putley, jun., a box and packing-case maker, carrying on business at No. 112, arch, belonging to the South Coast Railway Company. Owing to the inflammable nature of the goods in the place, the flames made fearful progress, and in the course of a few minutes they mounted high, and extended to arch 113, and also to one numbered 114, belonging to Mr H. Putley, a cooper. The parish engineb and several of the London Brigade and two land steamers, by Shand and Mason, arrived in a very brief period, and a good snpply of the Southwark Company's water having been obtained, Mr Henderson had the engines called into operation, but in spite of the exertions of the firemen the flames could not be extinguished until the arch 112 was burned out, and No. 114, used as stables by Mr Putley, the cooper, was nearly destroyad. Several other premises were damaged, but not to a serious extent. The origin of the fire is unknown, and it could not be learned whether the sufferers were insured.