Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

15 articles on this Page







I THE ALLEGED OUTRAGE AT CAEDRAW. An inquest was held before Mr. R. J. Rhys, coroner, at the Merthyr Police-court on Friday afler- the death of Ellen Connors, wbo died on Wednesday morning from the result, it was thought, of injuries received on Christmas E\ e. Mr, Thomas Flooks was the foreman of the jury. The coroner addressed the jury, and asked them to be very careful in listening to the evidence. The first witness called was Kate Sullivan, who said she was a daughter of the deceased. Her father, 1 James Connors, was an assistant-tiinberuian, and lived with her mother at 19, Upper Taff-street. The deceased was 52 years of ace. and died on Wednesday morning. She was struck about nine o'clock on Christmas evening, and had been ill ever since. She was stnick in the first place by Thomas Dri^coll in the middle of the street, near the Corner House, Mary Ann Barry, Driscoll's a.unt, also struck and drew off some of her hair. No one else touched her. She fell to the ground when Driscoll struck her, and whilst on the ground Mrs. Barry etruck her. After the was picked up, two policemen took DriscolL, and Mrs. Barry attack her again. Driscoll only struck one blow. 1> £ c$&3 £ 4 fell after being struck the second time by Mrs. Barry, but witness could not say that j her mother's Tiead knocked against the pavement. A neighbour, named Mrs. McGuire, took her home, but the doctor was not sent for until the following Friday. Deceased was able to go out on the day after she had been assaulted and was about during the week. The row begau by Driscoll fighting with witness's husband. Witness went to part them, whereupon Driscoll struck her (witness). Her mother then came on and told him "Don't kill my child." Driscoll replied "Oh.ycuarahere, you grey-headed old cow," and struck her. Driscoll was not very drunk, but be had bad a drop. Deceased did not touch him before he struck her. Mrs. Connors had taken a few glasses of beer, and was not quite sober. She used to take a glass of lm now and again, but was not a habitual drunkard. in reply to a juror, witness &aid her mother was struck on the head by Driscoll. Until that day shs had never been ill, bnt had complained of her head continually ever nince that day. Her mother was not uueonscious all the time. There was no mark on the head, but one side of her bead was quite bald, because Mrs. Barry had pulled her hair. Mary Marshall, wife of Jeremiah Marshall, said I live at No. 1, Pietoti-square, Caedraw. I was standing in the street when Mrs. Connors caught hold of me by the arm Driscoll followed her, anS struck her on the left side. I did not see Mrs. Suliivan because there was a large crowd around. Deceased did not fall to the ground after she had been struck by Driscoll, who was then taken into custody. Mrs. McGuire and I took her to ttue house. I did not see Mrs. Barry btrike her. She was complaining of pains in the head. The left side of bar face was dirty when she took hold of my arm as if she had fallen to the ground. I did not see Mrs. Barry in the crowd.Bv r. Flooks: I cannot say if she had been beaten before she took bold of my arm, but she was covered with mud. Annie McGuire, sworn, said I am the wite of John McGuire, and live at 10, Picton-square. 1 saw the fight lietween Driscoll and Sullivan the latter was taken away, and Driscoll was left b«hind. Mrs. Barry then came up and began to beat Kate Sullivan. Soon afterwards I saw Driscoll striking Ellen Connors, who was covered with mud, and standing against the wall with Mrs. Marshall. Deceased did not fall. Driscoll struck her on the side of the face. I did not see her abused afterwards. I cleaned the mud off her face when we went to the house, Rud she said, "Oh, Annie, 't;llle' and his aunt have killed me." Mrs. Connors showed rue a bald patch on her head and complained of pains in the head. The blow given was somewhere about the temple. Driscoll was striped to the waist and was drunk.—In reply to a juror witness said that deceased's bead migtit have struck against the wall, but she did not ftee it. George Smith said that he was a liihonrer residing at No. 2, Taff-street. He "w Mrs. Connors lyinsf in the gutter, picked her up, and placed her to lean against the wall, He saw DriBColl arrested, but did not see him strike her. He might have struck her without witness seeing him do so. When arrested by the police he had his arm upraised as if in the act of striking. Mary Tooniey swore that Driscoll did not strike Mrs. Connors, but Mrs. Barry and deceased had a fight and had hold of each other's hair. Deceased fell down, and Mrs. Barrv fell on top of her. Mrs. Connors was then taken home. This was after Driscoll had been taken into custody—about ten minutefe afterwards. P.C. Dove proved the arrest of Driscoll. Driscoll was standing in the middle of a crowd, stripped to the waist, and challenging people to tight. Witness did not see him assaulting any one. The crowd num- bered about 150. Driscoll made no statement. Dr. Benjamin Pope Viret said he was a fully qualified medical practitioner, and waa an assistant to Dr. Ward. He first saw deceased on January 4th at her residence. She was in bed and complained of severe headache. She was perfectly conscious, and there were no pigtls of bruises. Late on Tuesday wit- ness saw her asain, and she was in a semi-conscious state. During the night she became paralysed on her left side. On the 15th she was quite unconscious, and died about eight o'clock on Wednesday morning. At three o'clock in the afternoon witness made a post- mortem examination in company with Dr. Ward. There were no external marks of violence, and on turning back the scalp there was no sign of bruises and no fracture. On moving the skull cap Iia found that the outer membrane of the brain on the left side was bulging. On removing this outer membrane there was a hemorrhage occupying the whole of that side of the brain about half an incu thick all the way. The brain was very much flattened on that side, and the whole of the brain was soft. Oil cutting i.ito the brain there was no sign of hemorrhage into the brain substance, but all the arteries were degenerated. The heart was pale aud flabby, and on the right side of the chest there were signs of o!d pVtn\v. The organs were pale and soft, and theotherarteries were degene- rated. The cause of death was hemorrhage from the membrane of the brain pressing out the brain, and the hemorrhage might have been natural, judging from the degenerate condition of the vessel*. This mi^ht have been possible in any woman of full habit ana of that age, and the hemorrhage might have been caused by excitement (|uite apart from v iolence. At the same time it might have L-vcn caused by general violence. The hemorrhage must have come on gradually, and the slightest tnp showing no mark at all might have caused it. The Coroner dw*ltat length upon the discrepancies in the evidence of thepiinei|)al witnesses, but Jwlieved that after the medical testimony as to the cause of death, no jury in the woild would couvi jt. The jury conferred for a short while, and brought in a verdict of Death from natural causes." On Saturday, Thomas Drisscoll was brought up before the magistrates, and Inspector Coles having informed the bench that the coroner? verdict was one of natural causes," was discharged.







[No title]