Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page


Dr. Russell's Report.

The First Fault.

Another Calamity.


Another Calamity. Passing over a second stoppage, he comes to the 29th of July. On that day he says another calamity befel the expedition:- About ten minutes past one o'clock, ship's time, there was a slight commotion and excitement in the neighbourhood of the testing-room, and soon after- wards, with great quickness, indeed, the engines were stopped, and the ship ceased to move. Up swarmed at the ominous quiet all the lazy life of the floating city and buzzed about the deck, and soon the cause was known. This time no 'fault,' far worse—'dead earth-total and complete destruction to the insulated channel, so that its suburbs current rushed from some gaping wound in the sea, and was lost in the great reservoir, never to be heard of more. At three p.m. the operator in the testing-room, who was watch- ing the passage of a current, saw the light on the index suddenly fly beyond the limits, and the tests up to the very iastant became most satisfactory. The eiewiiiiuL»iiB Troro at once in consultation; but the nature of the injury was so manifest that there could be no doubt as to the only course to be pursued. The apparatus of stoppers, bights, and slips seemed crude and full of dangerous contingencies, but the experi- enced gentlemen on board were more confident than the sailors, and certainly were more sanguine than the uninitiated, who gazed over the stern with wonder and alarm at the feeble-looking black thread at which the Great Eastern seemed tugging with all her giant might at every swell of the sea. Bat at last the Great Eastern began to tug away at the wire rope from the bow, and the excitement of the a<Y wm tuanaforrod to the other end of the ship. To shorten a long story, it may bo at once stated that at 5.40, Greenwich time, owing to great caution and skill in managing the ship and machinery, and. perhaps to a sea of unusual calm, the end of the cable was hauled in over the bow, and the picking-up machinery began to work it back again. This was an exceedingly anxious and trying time. The strain on the cable was indicated at times to be 2t tons; but it came up very easily, whenever the machinery was provided with proper steam-power. About midnight after nearly ten hours of much anxiety and trouble, the cable was re-coiled, and mea- sures were taken to begin paying out with the early dawn. These defects in the cable began to excite grave suspicions, and to disquiet men's minds consider- ably. Slowly, but surely, the defective portion of the cable was reached and cut out. A very painful discovery was then made. An incision was visible in one strand of the hemp covering an external wire, and on unravelling the strands so as to expose the insulated wires, a piece of broken iron wire was found driven through the gutta percha covering, so as to project beyond it on each side to the extent of the diameter of the cable; one end was sharp as if cut with nippers, the other was broken off abruptly, and the diameter on the gauge being applied corresponded with that of wire covering the cable. It was impossible to resist the irritating and sorrowful conviction that such an injury was the work of some hired cable assassin or some purposeless malefactor." And now we come to

The Last and Fatal Disaster.

Raising the Lost Cable.