Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

8 articles on this Page







EXTRAORDINARY SUICIDE OF A YOUNG WOMAN. On Friday Mr. John Humphreys, the Middlesex coroner, held an inquiry at the Black Horse Tavern, Kingsland-road, respecting the death of Ann Holliday, aged seventeen years, who committed suicide under very extraordinary circumstances. Richard Arnold, 6, Duncan-street, London-fields. said that about twelve o'clock on Thursday morning he was on the Haggerston-bridge, when he saw the deceased on the top of the parapet. A girl named Louisa Francis had a hold of her, and kept her up. Francis called out that she could not hold her longer. Witness ran up and saved her. Two policemen came up at the time, and one of them took her into custody, but the other said, Oh, let her go she is afraid to drown herself. She would not have done it if no one was here." He let her go, and she went away from the canal, but witness saw her turn up another street. He followed her, and saw her rushing up the street towards the Queen's-road bridge": He overtook her, and said, You are a very foolish young woman." She said, You do not know all." A crowd gathered, a,¡d she asked the way to Cambridge-heath-bridge. The people said, She does not mean to commit suicide." After a short time had elapsed witness saw her getting over a paling next the towing path. Louisa Francis caught hold of her dress, but she struck Francis in the face, and saying, There is no use in your trying to stop me," forced herself clear. Witness jumped the palings, but fell, and deceased plunged into the water. There was a dog present, and witness sent the animal in, but it was not strong enough to pull her out. A crowd gathered, and amongst them five policemen. The drags did not come for a long time. A gentleman said that he would go in after deceased, but he did not like the job, and he was ten minutes taking off his shirt and trousers. He said that some one in the crowd stole his shirt pin, and when he went into the water he kept his watch in his hand. He could not swim very well and he came out again. Coroner: With five policemen standing by, did he think it necessary to carry his watch in his hand ? Witness said that the gentleman was very vexed about his pin being stolen. The police said to him that he could have taken twenty shirts off while he was taking off one; but they did not offer to go in themselves. Ultimately the drags were brought, and deceased was got out dead. Witness could not tell who the policeman was that let the deceased out of his custody in the first instance. Deceased appeared to be sober. Louisa Francis, 5, Mildmay-avenue, Ball's-pond, said that deceased lived with her. On the Wednesday night she met Charles Nicholson, with whom she lived. There was a quarrel; ho struck her, and she said she would commit suicide. She was not sober. She tried to commit suicide two years ago. Charles Nicholson, a seller of "canaries," or stained sparrows, about the streets, a respectably dressed young man, said that deceased lived with him as his wife. He met her on Wednesday in the street, and asked her for the key. She refused it, and threw money and mud in his face. He struck her with his open hand, not with his fist, and pushed her down. He know she walked the streets, but he gave her money to live upon. She had taken poison once. It was said she poisoned her child, and she was arrested for it, but it was a mistake. The child died She lived with another before she lived with witness. The parents of the deceased said that she lodged three doors from their house in Mildmay-avenue. She never had a child, and she had only been given to loose ways for three or four months. Other evidence, how- ever, was to a very different effect. One witness stated that the deceased, who was a very fine girl, had been gay to the knowledge of her parents ever since she was a child. She would not have been seventeen until May next. The Coroner remarked upon the extraordinary nature of the case. It was a preposterous act for the police to have let the deceased go free when they had arrested her in the very act of committing suicide. The state of profligacy disclosed was a disgrace to all con- cerned. The jury returned a verdict "that the deceased committed suicide while in a state of unsound mind from drink and debauchery." The proceedings then terminated.