Welsh Newspapers

Search 15 million Welsh newspaper articles

Hide Articles List

9 articles on this Page


[No title]





FOOTBALL. CHARITY MATCH AT BARRY. Teams representing the coal tippers employed at the Barry and Newport Docks played a return football match at the Buttrill's Field, near Barry, on Monday afternoon, in aid of the funds of the Barry Xursing Association. The weather was gloriously fine, but the attendance was an exceed- ingly sparse one. When the teams met at Newport a few weeks ago the substantial sum of £ 50 was netted in aid of the funds of Newport Infirmary, but judging from the support extended on Monday, nothing like fifty shillings will be realized. How- ever. those who stayed away did not miss much, unless it was the continual disputes between the rival teams. The visitors were especially to blame. The referee, to the best of his ability, acted impar- tially. but the Usksiders appeared to be never satisfied. Newport won the toss, and Barry kicked off against the wind and with a brilliant sunshine straight in their faces. After a little play of a give and take description, the leather was kicked well into Barry territory. The Barry back picked up and made a ludicrous attempt to return, with the result that Bowley for the visitors kicked towards the line, and following sharply up secured a try. Strawbridge's place kick was a total failure. After the restart, play was confined to the home quarters, owing to a mull of Murphy's. The Barry three-quarters then executed seme dan- gerous play by passing in their own 25. The home forwards eventually relieved the pressure, and some pretty passing on the part of the visitors was effectively nipped in the bud by F. John. A clink- ing kick by one of the home men removed the venue of the conflict to the Newport 25, where play for a time ensued. By the aid of passing the Newportonians were enabled to break away, but the ball was called back owing to a forward pass. The ruling of the referee was at this point stoutly disputed by the visitors. A scrum was formed in front of the visitors' goal, but in a moment or so afterwards more wrangling took place, and a deal of time was lost. Play was eventually resumed near the centre. The Barryites now exhibited some good work: the forwards heeled out splendidly, and the alactrity of the halfs, Davies and Johns, frequently enabled Murphy and his confreres to get away. After some uninteresting play. Murphy received the oval from J. Davies, and a really excellent sprint down the field aroused the enthusiasm of the spectators. Half-time shortly afterwards arrived. On the re- start. Rees made a clinking run, and dodging through several opponents, looked like getting in, but unfortunately he missed the ball. The home- sters warmed to their work. and returned to the fray with vigour. Murphy secured in Xewport territory, and going away at full speed got round his men. and scored near the corner, amid cheers. Owing to the fact that two Barry men handled the ball when over the line. no attempt to convert was permitted. The remainder of the encounter was almost entirely devoid of interest. The visitors securing a free kick, the ball was sent over the line, a minor resulting. This was the only other point scored, the game ending in a draw. Final score,: Newport, one try and one iniijor Barry, one try. The following were the teams :—New- port: Back, A. Legge: three-quarter backs, W. Strowbridge (captain), J. Lay. P. Thomas, and M. Hansen half-backs, J. Seers and A. Pollock forwards. W. Brooks, A. Reed, O. Albert, F. Bird, H. Marks, J. Bowley, A. Hall, and B. Hall. Barry Back. J. Jones: three-quarter backs. W. Murphy, J. Rees, F. Beck, and George Phillips half-backs, Francis John and J. Davies forwards, T. Spencer. Harry Marsh, F. Pritchard, F. W. Rutter, A. Hurley, C. Ingram, W. Stead, and A. Hinton. Mr. W. Sanders (Barry) acted as referee.