Skip to main content
Hide Articles List

12 articles on this Page




[No title]


[No title]



A LIVERPOOL SALVAGE CASE. In the Adrajralty Division of the High Court of Justice, the case of the$trah was heard before Sir Robert Phillimore, sitting at Westminster. There were three separate actions before the Court against the owner flt the vessel, which belonged t8 Nova Scotia. The first action was by the mate and two of the crew of the tug Great Western, belonging to Messrs. Jolliffe, of Liverpool the second by the owner of the same tug; and the third by the owner, master, and crew of the Kingfisher tug, ulso belong- ing to Liverpool. It appeared that the Sarah, on a voyage from Quebec to Liverpool, with a cargo of timber, got ashore during bad weather on the Middle Mouse. On the 14th October, about 10.30a.m., when there was a moderate gale blowing from W.S.W., and a heavy saa running, the Great Western was abreast of the Ormshead, looking out for vessels. The Kingfisher having left a ship whiek she had been towing, came some distance out of her course in order to inform the Great Western that the Sarah was on shore on the Middle Mouse. The Great Western nccordingly proceeded in the direction indicated, and found tbe vessel lying with her head on the rocks and her stern afloat, with a list to larboard, and the sea breaking over her. Tue tug proceeded to ths east side of the island, and with some difficultv the captain and two men went in a boat to the Sarah to have some conversation with her captain. Most of the loose articles of value had been removed out of the ship to the island, but the captain of the tug advised the cap- tain of the ship to remain on board and divide his crew into two parties, one to remain on board the ship, and the other to stay on the island. The crew, however, ultimately left the vessel, and the captain, having taken.: with him the papers and chronometer, also abandoned her. The tug then again returned to the wreck, and found her thumping upon the rocks. The mate, one fireman, and a sailor went from the tug in a boat to the ship, and succeeded in securing a 9-inch hawser. The tug then towed at the wreck and brought it off into deep water. A 13-inch hawser was th?n passed between the tug and the vessel, and the latter was towed to Liverpool, arriving there at about nine a.m. on 16th October. During the performance of the service the wind blew a hurricane, with rain and squalls, and much risk was run during thv R*ht owing to the severe weather. On arrival in' the Mersey the Tiger tug was sent for assistance, and after her return the Sarah was safely anchored in the river. On the following day she was berched with the assistance of the tugs Great Emperor and Hero. The plaintiffs contended that if it had not been for their shilful and successful service the derelict would have become a perfect wreck, and the whole of the ship and cargo, which was of the value of £6000, would have been lost. The defendants denied that the vesfcel ^rae a derelict, and alleged that the captain bad entered into an agreement with the plaintiffs to watch the vessel. Sir Robert Phillimore awarded d63000 to the plaintiffs, to include the payment of the .C$06 ex- penses alleged to have been incurred by them. The mate cf the Great Western was to receive £25, and i the two seamen X20 beyond the customary one pre- sented to the crew upon the award to the owners of the tug. The Kingfisher was to receive £ 60. „ '• '•

[No title]

.5f,.\00>).,"t¡.,... - THE…


.iLonboii jHarfeets. ^

[No title]