A biweekly Welsh language newspaper, supportive of radical and nonconformist principles, which circulated in North Wales and the Welsh speaking parts of Merseyside. William Rees (Gwilym Hiraethog, 1802-1883) and John Jones (1790-1855) established the newspaper in Liverpool in 1843 with William Rees being the first editor up until 1852, who was then followed by John Roberts (Ieuan Gwyllt, 1822-1877). The family of John Lloyd (fl. 1833-1859) bought the paper in 1848, but in 1859 it was sold onto Thomas Gee, who subsequently merged it with 'Baner Cymru' to form 'Baner ac Amserau Cymru'. It originally had to fight for its existence, but after the publication of 'The Letters of an Old Farmer', which covered such subjects as religion, politics, the Corn Laws, education, the Oxford movement and the Papacy, the paper flourished. But with the paper's support of Russia in the Crimea war the circulation fell, and from 1855 it also had difficulties competing with the weekly papers of the day, after the abolishment of the stamp duty. Associated titles: Baner ac Amserau Cymru (1859-1971).
This resource is free of copyright restrictions and is published under the Public Domain Mark 1.0.
Published in Liverpool by John Jones (ca. 1843-); Michael James Whitty & William Ellis (ca. 1846-); John Lloyd (ca. 1848-).
1846 - 1859 (150 available issues)
Date with single issue Date with multiple issues