.:;,!j;(llt.::;i::;(:t:\i¿/:::.<>;t.:.:.'';:....:;;,'\:, Deatb of Dr. Edward Jonts, J.P. Dolgdlep.|1900-02-08|Welsh Gazette and West Wales Advertiser - Welsh Newspapers Online
Hide Articles List

13 articles on this Page

. ABERYSTWYTH-(

BORTH.

Aberystwyth College Items.

Lord Rendel's Gift.

.:;,!j;(llt.::;i::;(:t:\i¿/:::.<>;t.:.:.'';:....:;;,'\:,…

News
Cite
Share

.j;(llt.i:(:t:\i¿/ :.<> ;t. Deatb of Dr. Edward Jonts, J.P. Dolgdlep. It is with deep regret that we have to announce this week the death of Dr. Edward Jones, J.P., Dolgelley, which took place at his residence, Cae'r- ffynon, on Monday night. To all who knew him- and his circle of friends and acquaintances was an exceedingly wide one-the sad intelligence will be received with unfeigned regret, as he was respected by all classes for his high-mindedness and genuine worth. Death came unexpectedly, as the deceased gentleman had only been ill for a few days- He had attended a meeting of the Managers of Dr. Williams' School on the previous Wednes- day. On the following day he visited his new house at Llysmynach, in the erection and furnish- ing of which he had taken a keen interest, and bad intended with his family removing there this week. His expressed wish that he should see himself comfortably established there to end his days in a quiet and peaceful retirement was destined to remain unfulfilled. He contracted a severe chill, and on Thursday took to his bed. Complications of congestion of the lungs, pneumonia, and heart failure ensued, and his condition be- came critical. He was being attended by his two sons (Dr. John and Dr. Hugh Jones), and on Monday Dr. Carter, a specialist from Liverpool, was summoned for consultation. He found the patient sinking fast, and declared the case a hope- less one. Earlier in the day Dr. Jones had called the whole of the family to his bed side, and wished them an affectionate farewell. He rallied towards evening, but later a relapse set in, and he expired peacefully about 11 o'clock. Thus ended the life of a gentleman who had taken a foremost part in public and political life of Merionethshire, and to find a successor capable of following in his foot- steps, and of filling the many public offices so well filled by him will, indeed, be a difficult task. He leaves a widow, daughter, and six sons to mourn their loss, and with the sorrow-stricken family the deepest and most wide-spread sympathy is ex- pressed. Dr. Edward Jones was a native of Dolgelley, and had lived in the town practically the whole of his life-time. He was born on the 21st January, 1834, and was thus in his 66th year. He was the son of respectable parents, viz., Hugh and Ann Jones, who lived at Eldon-road, the former being engaged in the business of painter and glazier. Young Edward, after a brief educa- tion at the National School, was also apprenticed to the same trade, but it became evident that his inclinations and talents were not likely to find sufficient scope for development in this particular branch of industry. He was then articled to Dr. Lloyd, of Plasbrith, with whom he remained for four years, and it was during this period he re- ceived his first experiences of the profession in which, it afterwards transpired, he became so suc- cessful a member. Having completed his service with Dr. Lloyd, Mr. Jones proceeded to Glasgow University, where he studied for his medical examinations. In 1861 he graduated at St. Andrew's College, securing the title of M.D., and a year later he became a member of the College of Surgeons, Glasgow. In 1859 he married Miss Jones, daughter of the late Mr. John Jones, glover, and sister of Mr. J. Meyrick Jones, the present Mayor of Dolgelley. There were seven children of the unionâsix sons and a daughter, all of whom are still living, their names being Dr. John Jones and Dr. Hugh Jones, Dolgelley; Mr. W. Harvey Jones, North and South Wales Bank, Barmouth; Mr. Arthur Jones, South African trader, Umtali, Rhodesia; Mr. R. Guthrie Jones, solicitor, Dol- gelley; Mr Osborne Jones, engineer, Manchester; and Miss Mary Jones. Notwithstanding his extensive practice, which he carried on in conjunction with hili two sons, Dr. Jones devoted a large share of his time to public duties in the town and county, and it may be said that his activity extended still further, for no movement appertaining to the welfare of his fellow-countrymen and the Principality generally appealed for his support in vain. For the past 30 years he had been recognised as the leader of public thought in the educational, social, and political life of the county. The educational sphere, however, was the one above all others in which he evinced the deepest concern. It was dnring the agitation that preceded the passing of the Education Act of 1870, that he first came pro- minently before the public. At that time Mr. Henry Richard, M.P., Lord Aberdare, Professor Rees, Ir. Lewis Morris, and Lord Emlyn had been appointed a Royal Commission to enquire into the educational facilities of the country. He worked energetically in securing evidence to place before the Commission, and arranged several public meet- ings in support of the measure. Upon the Bill becoming law, further difficulties arose, the Church party, led by Dean Lewis, then rector of Dolgelley, and now Dean of Bangor, being opposed to the adoption of the Act at Dol- gelley. Further public meetings were held, and the new measure warmly discussed, but in Dr. Jones the church party found an unbending adversary, and with the whole body of Noncon- formists at his back be was mainly instrumental in bringing the Act into operation in his native town. Coming to the more recent Intermediate Education Act, it may be said that Dr. Jones was one of the principal movers in securing this im- portant system of secondary education for Wales. He also worked untiringly with the late Mr. T. E. Ellis, M.P., in drafting the county scheme under the same Act. For several years he occupied the position of chairman of the Merionethshire County Governing Body. The County School lor ooys ab Dolgelley, of which he was the chairman of the Board of Governors, practically owes its existence to him, and the fact that that fino building is now free from debt is certainly due to his labours. Through his personal appeals large subscriptions were obtained, and his energies never relaxed on behalf of the advancement and success of the school. The b; -.vill be a t-llti:{¡rÃ8.1 to his perseverance and deep concern in the educational welfare of the town. Another institution with which his connection wag an equally close one was- Dr Williams' Endowed School, now one of the fineet schools for girls in the kingdom, and of the Governing Body of which he was vice-chairman. His last public duty was performed at meeting of the managers of this, school on the Wednesday previous to his death. He had attended a meeting at the University College, Aberystwyth, a few days before, to discuss the division of the endow- ment recently made by Lord Rendel to the Intermediate Schools of the counties of Cardigan, Merioneth, and Montgomery. In addition to securing £10 yearly for each of the county schools,. the committee also granted, as the result of repre- sentations made by him, a yearly sum of £30 to Dr. Williams' School. He reported the result of his visit to Aberystwyth to the meeting of governors on Wednesday last, when a cordial vote of thanks was passed to him, in proposing which the Hon. C. H. Wynn made eulogistic references to Dr. Jones' efforts on behalf of the school. His connection with this school had made him the object of considerable criticism of an unfavourable nature, but it was an undoubted fact that he was a more faithful and zealous supporter of it than those who criticised. In politics, as all are aware, he was a staunch Liberal, and for the past quarter of a century was the leader of the Party in the county. He sacrificed a great deal for his principles, but notwithstanding this, his in- fluence increased. He was the first president of the Merionethshire Liberal Association. He gave up the position for a short time in favour of Mr. Pope, but was again re-elected, and has occupied the position for some years past. He was one of the warmest supporters of Mr.David Williams, at a time when Liberalism was not so potent a factor in the county as at present, while he was in the thick of the fight at the time Mr. Henry Hobertson stood for the Parliamentary representation of the county. He was amongst the first to recognise the excellent qualities of the late Mr. T. E. Ellis, M.P., who found in him a true friend and a wise counsellor. He was deeply affected by the death of Mr. Ellis, and always deplored the loss thus sustained by the county. Dr. Jones was mentioned as the successor of Mr. Ellis, and undoubtedly he would have made a valuable Member of Par- j liament, but when he learned that there was a probability of securing Mr O. M. Edwards to represer: the county, he devoted all his energies to the furti ranee of that gentleman's candidature. Meriont iishire will again, upon the retirement of Mr Edwards, be called upon to elect a new candfc date, but a quiet feeling had hitherto existed that the Party would emerge successfully from the task with Dr. Jones at the helm. These hopes have now been blown to the winds, and a blank feeling has arisen as to whom can be found to take up the reins of leadership with so successful results as those achieved by the departed gentleman. Dr. Jones had also been for a long time a member of the working committee of the National Liberal Federation. He was a fearless exponent of temperance prin- ciples, and he worked diligently for the cause at Licensing Sessions. Not many will forget the spirited fight he made on the question at the Quarter Sessions at Bala in November last. He was made a justice of the peace on January 1st, 1878, his nominator being Lord Mostyn. Dr. Jones was connected with almost every public body in the county. He was chairman of the County Council for the first three years of the formation of that body, and remained a member until his death. He was also an alderman of the Council, and chairman of the Finance Committee for several years and chairman of the Standing Joint Police Committee, the duties of all of which he fulfilled faithfully. He was a man of deep religious convictions, and a member of the Methodist denomination. He was a stern believer in religious liberty, and it was prin- cipally through his initiative that a Nonconformist burying ground was secured at Dolgelley, this being connected with the four denominations of the town. He had been on two occasions chair- man of the Monthly Meeting of the Methodists of West Merionethshire. He had been chosen a deacon at Salem before the establishment of the English cause. Upon the formation of the latter he transferred himself to that Church, and in 1876 he was elected an elder. Since then the small but flourishing church had rested primarily upon his shoulders, and there was no one who dis- played greater zeal for its success, and attended the services with greater regularity than he. The church was as the light of his eye, and it is hard to conceive how the cause will continue with such a strong pillar removed, His death has caused gloom and universal sorrow wherever he was known, and Wales to-day mourns the death of a worthy son and a true patriot. The funeral has been arranged for Friday, and will be of a public nature. The cortege will leave the house at 1.30 for Salem Chapel, where a short service will be conducted. Afterwards it will proceed to the Nonconformist Cemetery, where the burial will take place.

TRIBUTES.

--""ØIm8II,.»m.. LAMPETER.

London Letter.

ABERDOVEY..

PENLLWYN.

GOGINAN.

DYFFRYN.

Family Notices