Hide Articles List

22 articles on this Page

[No title]

Abergele.

Bangor

Bettws=y=Coed.

Brynymaen.

Colwyn Bay.

Colwyn.

Conway.

Deganwy.

Denbigh.

Ffynnongroew.

Llandudno.

Llanddulas

Llanrwst.

Rhos=on=Sea.

Talycafn Fat Stock Sales.

Bcatij of filr liIHam, Contoain

Beatfj of tie llcctor of JWardjfomL

News
Cite
Share

Beatfj of tie llcctor of JWardjfomL ON Saturday, Canon Jones, rector of Marchwiel, died very suddenly. By his- death the Church in Wales 10S\2'S' one of her most faithful follow- ers. The deceased was a most eloquent bi- lingual preacher and true; educationist. First at Llangollen, and afterwiards at Dyserth, Llan- rhaiadr Mochnant, and -I arch w-i!-2 1, he by his unceasing efforts did splendid work for the Es- tablished Church. The living of Marchwiel, the gift of ,thel Bishop of St. Asaph, is a very valuable one. Born in 1841, Canon Jones was a native, of Cardiganshire. He entered St. David's College, Lampeter, where he was' prepared for holy orders. He achieved much success there, and w.as Burton, Eldon, Welsh, and Senior Scholar. In 1864 he was ordained deacon, and next year priest by the Bishop of St. Asaph. From the date of his ordination, until 1870 he was curate of Llangollen, and here he beganl what has un- doubtedly been a most successful career. He was highly esteemed by the parishioners of Llan- gollen, and when hd accepted tne living of Dyserth, he, deceived from them a handsome timepiece, together with a purse of money, "a mark of their esteem, and regard," as the brass plate on the timepiece records. At Dyserth Mr Jones remained for eleven years, and during that time he carried out the restoration of the church and built tHb school, two great works to accomplish within so short a time. In 1881 he was promoted, on the recommendation of the then Bishop of St. Asaph, to the Vicarage of Llanrhaiadr-yn,-Mochnant, and on. leaving Dyserth the parishioners, in token of thjeir re- gard, presented him. with a piece of plate and a purSle of gold. For twenty years he laboured at Llanrhaiadr, whlare he again won universal esteem. He at once set about the restoration of the- parish church, a work which will for genera- tions be a memorial of his connection with the parish. IIL, also built a new church at Mrith- dir, to meet the needs of that district. He took much interest in the education work of the dis- trict, and was a member of the School Board. In 1897, the Bishop of St. Asaph appointed him to the' canonry of Randulphi, Birkenhead, in St. Asaph Cathedral, and on the death of the Rev. Enoch James, B.D., in 1901, Canon Jones was offered the living of Marchwiel, which He ac- cepted, to, the great regret of his, parishioners at Llanrhaiadr, who gave him a handsome piano- forte. as a parrting' gift. At Marchwiel, Canon Jones, spent a little over a year, but almost every day that passed, brought to light incidents winch, in addition to placing him into closer touch with the parishioners, helped to win for him the golden opinions which are now entertained of him. It was only a few days ago that he officiated at Marchwiel Church at the marriage of his daughter to Mr P. S. Vesey Fitzgerald, and she and her husband are now on their way to India. Canon Jones was an eloquent preach- er, especially in Welsh, and as a Churchipan he held moderate views. -His kindly disposit on and homely manners won him a host of friends. He married in 1872, at Llangollen, Charlotte Wells, daughter of the late Mr Charles R-chards, and he is survived by his wife, two sons, and four daughters,. Mr C. Sydney Jones, his eld- est son, is on his way home from Ceylon, where he is engaged in the tea planting industry. A. H. Jones, the younger son, is at Oswestry Grammar School. Canon Jones's brother is vicar of Llandegla. The Funeral. The remains of the late Canon David Jones, rector of Marchwiel, were in-g?rred n the parish churchyard yesterday amidst general manifesta- tions of regret. The opening portion of the burial service was read at the Rectory by the y Rural Dean, the Rev. J. W. Unwin, of Overton, and the officiating clergy at the church were the Rev J. Parry Morgan, of Llandyssil,and the Rev. Canon Fletcher, of Wrexham. The coffin was borne by the churchwardens and Sidesmen of the parish. Among those present in addi- tion to the immediate relatives were Major- General Savage Mostyn, Coloniel Bonnor, toe Revs. T. Pritchard (Rhos), J. S. Lewis (Ruabon), T. E. Jones (Hope), Gilbert Heaton (Wrex- ham), J. Jones (Llandegla), A. G. M. Jennings (Isycoed), D. Stanley Davies (Rhosddu), T. Lloyd Williams (Wrexham), Canon, Griffith Jooies (Mosftyn), J. E. Thompson (Esciusham), W. T. Davies (Llanfynydd), R. Bowcott, J. W. Thomas (Rhosymedre), J. Jenkins-Menlove (Hirnant), D. Jamesi (Pennant), Owen Jones (Nantglyn), R. Roberts (Bangor-on-Dee), and W. Harcourt Williams (Berse), and Dr. Richard Williams (Wrexham), etc. A largu number of beautiful wreaths were sent.

Abergele Fire Brigade.

Railway Travelling Up=to=Date.

Llanfairfechan Urban District…

[No title]