Hide Articles List

23 articles on this Page

THE LLANWRDA WATER CASE. -

LLANDDEWI BREFI.

.LLANFIHANGEL-RHOSY-CORN.

PENDINE.

TREGARON.

ABERGWILI.

LAMPETER.,

CAPEL TYGWYDD.

NARBERTH.

News
Cite
Share

NARBERTH. BETHESDA BAPTIST CHAPEL.âOPENING SEP.vicics.-The Baptist cause in this town was commenced in 1808, and the first chapel was built in that year by the instrumentality of Mr W. Thomas minister of Molleston, and the cause at Narberth continued as a branch of Molleston until the year 1816, when a church independent of Molleston was formed composed chiefly of members from the mother church and the other churches in the country. The first pastor was the late Rev. J. Morgans, Talyryn, near Llandovery, he was very popular and successful, but his stay was not long. In the year 1823 the late Rev. B. Thomas, of Whitley, father of the Rev. Dr. B. D. Thomas, Toronto, was settled here and his ministry was long, powerful, and very successful, and his name is fragrant in the neighbourhood still, and a new and larger chapel was built in 1873. The ministers who have officiated here since the death of Mr Thomas, are Rev. D. Davies, York Place, Swansea; I. Williams, B.A.; W. Owen, Solva; and the Church for the last fifteen years has been under the pastorate of Rev. B. Thomas (Myfyr Emlyn), editor of Seren Cymru). For some time the Church felt that a new chapel was required and in June 1890 the work which is now completed was commenced, and the opening services were held ] Sunday and Monday, the 25th and 26th inst. A < prayer meeting was held at 8 o'clock in the morning of the 25th inst., and a large number of persons | attended. Powerful sermons were delivered by the I Revs. A. F. Mills, Neath; E. R. Evans, Cwm- bran; D. S. Davies, Login; J. J. Evans, Rhyd- t wilym, and 1. Williams, Brynseion. The Rev. J. Lewis, Bellvue, Swansea, was exDected to be a present, but failed on account of illness. The pastor delivered the first sermon in Welsh. The devotional services were performed by Revs. T. Evans, Molleston; T. Evans, Tenby; D. M. Picton, Templeton, and D. Williams, Salem, Mydrim. The congregations were exceptionally large at each service. Meetings were held each day in the commodious school- room beneath the chapel. The chapel vestries house and schoolroom cost .£1888 17s 4d. The collections during the meetings amounted to .£328 12s 8Jd, and together with the previous sub- scriptions make a total of .£1609 8s 84d. The new and commodious chapel is built from designs pre- pared by Mr John Williams, of Ingledew House, Narberth, and of the well-known firm of con- tractors Messrs Williams & Son, of Robeston Wathan, Narberth, who also carried out the work. The building is capable of seating about 600. It also contains commodious vestries and a spacious lobby at the entrance. The exterior walls are built of native Oolite with dressings of box ground stone the whole richly moulded, and with carved bosses to all labelling of door and window heads the caps &c., to columns of entrance doorway are similarly treated. The ceilings are panelled in squares with heavy molded ribs, those on the tranverse section being supported by moulded bath stone corbels. All the interior fittings are of selected pitch pine in its natural colour and varnished. The seats are of the latest design. The balcony of the galleries in of cast iron painted and pisked out in gold, and sup- ported by moulded brackets and richly moulded freeze and soffit. The rostrum is also of varnished pitch pine with folded panels and turned walnut columns as is also the enclosure of lower section or platform in which is placed the baptistry. The vestries are right and left of the rostrum, and are entered from the platform. The Sunday school is beneath the chapel and carried through full size with lobby cloak and book-rooms. The floor is laid on the wood block system of interlaced designs. The fittings of the schoolroom are of pitch pine varnished with painted iron work. The windows throughout except schoolroom are of Cathedral rolled glass of various tints promiscuously arranged. The lighting is effected by means of gas wall brackets and two handsome coronars. The whole of the-buildings are heated by Grundys patent hot air system, which apparatus also ventilates the building.

GOLDEN GROVE.

LLANYBRI.

LLANSTEPHAN.

.CILIAU AERON.

ST. CLEARS.

HIGHMEAD.

LLANWNEN-

PENBOYR.

--EMLYN.

LLANDYSSUL.

LLANSAWEL.

ABERGORLECH.

BRYNSION.

Advertising