Hide Articles List

14 articles on this Page

. NOTES OF THE WEEK.

SOCIETY AND PERSONAL.

[No title]

RE-OPENING OF ST. DAVID'S…

News
Cite
Share

RE-OPENING OF ST. DAVID'S CHURCH, CARMARTHEN. Carmarthen possesses a trinity of landmarks-the old castle in the centre, the tower of St. Peter's Church to the east, and the tower of S. David's Church to the west. These buildings have gone through many changes, and have survived the destructive hand of time. St. David's Church was at one time intended to be the Cathedral Church for the Diocese. When this dream agitated the mind of the great worker and builder, the late Venerable Archdeacon D. A. Williams, St. David's Cathedral was fast falling into decay. St. David's Church, Carmarthen, has passed through many phases. Originally the Church was built with the altar at the north end. The Vener- able Archdeacon Williams added the present stately nave, which was intended to be the nave of what was intended to be the new Cathedral. When the late Dean Allen began the restoration of St. David's Cathedral the Archdeacon had to abandon his project. In 1885, the late Rev. T. H. Walters bui't a chancel, as a memorial to Archdeacon Williams. This chancel was built into the centre of the or- iginal Church, and so cutting off the northern and southern portions of it. The present Vicar, (Rev. Griffith Thomas) has a scheme on foot to restore these portions of the original Church, by having a Lady chapel on the south side, and vestries on the north side. To complete this scheme, a sum of at least £1,\000 will be required. The restoration recently carried out has brought to light the glories of the great nave built by the late Archdeacon Williams. For some unaccountable reason the nave was allowed to get into a rather dilapitated state. The Rev. Griffith Thomas had not been long in the parish ere he made up his mind to start the restoration, which work has been carried out by Messrs. Lloyd Bros., Swansea, and Mr. D. Jon. Carmarthen, and Mr. Dd. Rogers, Carmar- then. The great west window, which has been entirely re-built, is otie of the largest in St. David's diocese, being 31 feet high and 16 feet wide. In order to improVe the acoustic properties, a fine paneled roof, 12 feet lower than the original one, has been con- structed. The greater part of the nave has been concreted and wood-blocked, the whole of the in- terior re-coloured and varnished, the west end pointed, and. for carrying off water, cement gutters have been laid around the building. A new feature, copied by the Vicar from some Lancashire churches, is seen in the richly-designed canopied seats at the west end of the nave. They are intended for the use of the church officers, and command a full view of all the worshippers. The churchyard has been greatly improved by the extension fo the ground to the west, the land having been presented by the Misses Hancocke. A piece of ground, part of a garden at the rear of Picton-terrace, has been given by Mr. Jacob Andrews, so as to enhance the general appearance of the front. The cost of the restora- tion is nearly JB90. All the work has been super- vised by Mr. Ernest Collier, M.S.A. The foundation stone of St. David's Church (which has a very singular architectural history), was, strantre to relate, originally laid on November 27th, 1824, on the site now occupied by Christ Church, the chapel-of-ease, but, owing to difficulties about the land, nothing further was done until 1835. when the foundation stonc, was remold and re-laid on the site of the present St. David's Church, and a new place of worship, with nave, chancel, and tower (a familiar landmark), was built north and south, portions of it now being visible behind the existing chancel. This church was opened for service on January 19th. 1837, but was not conse- crated until February 3rd. 1841. In 1852 Archdeacon Archard Williams, who was then the vicar, built a large and lofty nave at the west end of the original church, with the intention of eventually adding a central tower, transpets, and chancel, which would have extended into the churchyard far beyond the end of the present chancel; in fact, more than doubling the length of the church. The new nave was consecrated in 1855. and from that date until 1884 the church had the formation of a "T." a new nave being attached to the old nave and chancel. In 1884 a new chancel was built in the middle of the old church. the intention be-ing- to pull down thfe remains of the older building. This was. however, never done. The church is a good example of the Gothic ecclesiastical architecture of the 14th century style. It began its existence facing r-outh: it has been turned right round, and now faces east. The efforts of the Vicar have been crowned with much success. The Church was re-opened for public worship on Sunday last, when the services were a testimony to the interest which the parishioners take in their restored Parish Church. On Sunday evening last the Lord Bishop of the Diocese was present at the service and read dedicatory prayers and preached an appropriate sermon in Welsh based upon Hebrews ix., 15. The spacious edifice was crowded to its utmost capacity, and the service was one of the finest Welsh services ever heard in the old town. The clergy and surnliced choir and churchwardens marched in procession through the church to the chancel. The singing of the Welsh hymns was inspiring. The choir, under the able leadership of Mr. T. Llewellyn, sang a very fine anthem composed by Dr. West-lake Morgan. the tenor solo being admirably rendered by Mr. W. D. Jones, and the trio by Miss S. Morris. Miss- E. Goodwin and Mr. W. D. Jones. The service was intoned by the Vicar, and the lessons were read by the Rev. B. Davies. Bishop's chaplain, and the Rev. J. Gwynfe Jone, curate of the parish. The collections amounted to over j313. This is a good sum. as the people have contributed towards the retoration during the last couple of months a sum of about L100. On Monday evening, the Rev. Canon Joseph Lloyd. Llanpumpsnint, the Rural Dean. preached from Neh. ii.. 9. The Rev. Dr. J. Caleb Hughes intoned the service, and the Vicar of Llangain and the Rev. J. Gwvnfe Jones read the lessons. The ant-hen^ "Mor hawddgar yw Dy bebyll Di" (Joseph Parry).* was magnificently rendered by the choir, the duett being sung by Miss E. Goodwin and Mr. W. D. Jones. At the evening service on Wednesday the anthem "Wele mor ddaionus." was ng by the choir, Mr. Ivor Morris taking the bass solo, and the treble duett sang by Masters Jack Morris and Willie Davies. The preacher was the Re*v. Harries Williams Burrv Port, in the unavoidable absence of the Rev. J. D. Lewis, Llanarth. The newly-appointed organist (Mr Ivor Llewellyn) accompanied throughout the services, and his excel- lent playing fully merited his selection.

.I LLANDILO.

KING'S PREMIUM WINNERS.

LOCAL FOOTBALL CELEBRITIES.

NEWCASTLE EMLYN COUNTY COUNCIL…

LAMPETER.

ABERGWILI

NEW QUAY

LLANDOVERY.

Family Notices

IS THE NAVY ALL RIGHT?