Hide Articles List

7 articles on this Page

Advertising

THE GOVERNAIENT PROPOSALS.

PUBLICANS AND PHARISEES.

[No title]

DEATH OF MR T. MOSTYN DAVIES,…

News
Cite
Share

DEATH OF MR T. MOSTYN DAVIES, J.P., CARMARTHEN We regret to have to announce the death of Mr Thomas Mostyn Davies, of this town, who died of Bright's disease, at his residence in Spilman- street, on Monday last, in his 73rd year. Mr Davies had been ailing for some considerable time, and was thus unable to take part in any public business. His last appearance was Oil the occa- sion of the appointment of the present Recorder of Carmarthen (Mr Arthur Lewis). On returning to his house on that day he complained of feeling unwell, and never again did he leave his house. The deceased gentleman was a native of Carmar- then, and the son of the late Mr David Davies (of the tirm of Davies and Son, bootmakers, King- street), which business the deceased also carried on for some tiiiie. Giving up this business, he betook himself, with considerable success, to that of an auctioneer and timber merchant. Having amassed a considerable income, he retired from business, but identified himself very actively with public life in the borough. He filled the office of Guardian of the poor for some time, and he was one of the founders and supporters of the Literary Institute. He was chiefly instrumental in establishing a Volunteer Corps at Carmar- then, of which he was a member for a number of years. He was a member when the corps attended the Gloucester Review, in 18(50, when it was specially complimented for its general appearance and efficiency. Being elected a member of the Town Council, he spared no efforts to improve the general and sanitary condition of his native town, and he continued one of the most active and valuable members up to his death. His first election took place in 18G3, when he was returned for the Western Ward, which he continued to represent uninterruptedly until 1872. In that year he unsuccessfully wooed the suiHage of his old constituents, but was soon adopted by the Eastern Ward, which he faithfully represented up to the date of his death. He twice filled the civic chair, the first occasion being in 187<i, and the last in 1885. He was the first to agitate in favour of having the streets of the town asphalted and planted with tree,, and after considerable opposition he succeeded. Not only did he identify himself so closely with town improvements, but he took a keen interest in the educational interests of his town and as vice- chairman of the School Board he rendered his fellow townsmen signal service, which will long be remembered. Everything calculated to im- prove the town of Carmarthen in any direction met with the ardent support of the deceased gentleman, and his loss will be keenly felt by all his late colleagues. The funeral, which NN-as ;t military one, took place to-day (Friday), and was very largely attended by members of the Corpora- tion, and of other public bodies and the general townsmen. His mortal remains were assigned to their last resting place in the midst of universal signs of deep sorrow and regret in the ceiretery. The deceased was never married.

THE CAltMARTHEN DOG SHOW.

Family Notices