Hide Articles List

3 articles on this Page

ALL ABOUT ABERYSTWYTH.

PLACES OF INTEREST.

News
Cite
Share

PLACES OF INTEREST. Llanbadarn Fawr.â" The Church of Padarn the Great." The original Church was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales, A.D. 988. The present, 12th century Gothic, is supposed to date contemporary with William the Conqueror. The tower contains a peal of sweet toned bells, six cast at Gloucester in 1749, and inscribedâ"I-to the Church the living call, and to the grave do summon all," "Peace and good neighbourhood," "Prosperity to the Church of England," "When you us ring we'll sweetly sing;" two were added in 1886. Tho nave was restored in 1869, the tower in 1880, and the chancel in 1884. The church is now ore of the finest in Wales. It contains monuments by Flaxman and Bailey. Llanbadarn Fawr is pleasantly situated among country lanes bestud with ferns and wild flowers, corn fields and meadow lands with lowing kine, fleecy sheep, and warbling birds, forming an enjoyable contrast to the sterile rocks of the coast. The Devil's Boidge is a spot which once seen will never be effaced from the memory. The drive abounds in charms. Passing through quaint Tre- fechanâthrough Piccadilly turnpike onwards to the 9th milestone, 970 feet above the sea levelâthence to the picturesque Hafod Hotel, where a scene of wild beauty bursts upon the enraptured view. The valley of the Rheidol contracts into a deep glen, the rocky banks of which are clothed with woodsâwith ferns, 1Posses, lichens and luxuriant wild flowers. Hawks, occasionally kites, and other birds abound. The Devil's Punch Bowl is a scene of terrific, weird grandeur. The falls of water are about 500 feet in extent. The Robber's Cave, the rugged steps and rustic bridges, have each their interest. The Devil's Bridge itself consists of two arches, the lower one having been built by the Cistercian Monks of Strata Florida in 1087, and the upper by the county in 1753. The Hotel is well appointed. PlynUmmon lifts his lofty form 2,469 feet above the sea level; like a bride at a wedding, the ob- served of all observers. Historically it abounds in interest. It has five peaks, whence its name. It comprises the sources of five rivers-the Severn, the Wye, the Rheidol, the Llyfnant, and the Dulas. Rare plants are to be found. There are inns at Dyffryn Castell and Steddfagurig. There are Druidi- cal Circles there. The Llyn Llygad Rheidol, covering 13 acres and 60 feet in depth, is the unsullied source of the Aberystwyth water supply. The mountain is easy of access, and Picnics are frequent. The drive to it is beautiful. It is a weird region. Not in the phrenzy of a dreamer's eye, Nor in the fabled landscape of a lay, But soaring cloud-clad through its native sky, In the wild pomp of mountain majesty." Bow Street, the valley of Llanjihangul Oeneu'rgVyn, and Castell Gwallter, a British encampment. Bo,rth.-This quiet, pleasant fishing village is gradu- ally developing into a much-frequented sea-side health resort. It is a desirable place for large fami- lies of little children, as the sands are so safe, and furnish abundant amusements for the juveniles. The bathing is excellent. The sands, which extend for two miles, abound with pretty shells, especially to- wards the estuary of the Dovey. At times the sea is to be witnessed in all its stormy grandeur. The ris- ing hill of Taliesin, with the lofty Plynlimmon form- ing the sombre background, with their historical associations, the spreading turbary, Cors Fochno, the passing trains, the rolling ocean, and the distant Bardsey Island, with the tranquil little town of Aber- dovey, the pure atmosphere and constant transforma- tions of the clouds, and the occasionally almost sub- lime sunsets, combine to form a picture upon which the eye of the poet, the painter, or lover of Nature delights to dwell. The stumps of trees, remains of a forest, are distinctly discernible at low water. The name ef Borth is from the Welsh Porth, an entrance, a gateway, a refuge, a port, as seen in Porthcawl, Portmadoc. Scholars will note that in Welsh, as in English, Italian, and French, the initial consonant undergoes transmutation. The Cambrian Hotel is a large and handsome edifice close upon the beach, facing Cardigan Bay. It is appointed with the nsual auxiliary comforts for tourists and travellers. There is a Lawn Tennis ground, and provision for out-door amusements of all kinds. It is very near the railway station. Good lodging houses. Distance eight miles. May be reached by a pleasant walk over Craiglais hill and aor Clarach valley, returning by rail. Bedd Taliesin, the grave of the renowned Welsh Bard Taliesin, author of the patriotic prophesy- Still shall they chaunt their Maker's praise, Still keep their language and their lays; But nought of all their old domain, Save Gwalia's rude and mountain reign," âis situate on a high hill near the village of Taliesin, and may be reached from Llanfihangel, Borth ana Glandovey stations. Llyfnant Valley, beautifully wooded, is reached from Glandovey Station. Machynlleth is a quiet but progressing town, twenty miles from Aberystwyth, on the banks of the Dovey. Owain Glyndwr held a Parliament here. The Plas, adjoining the town, is the residence of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry. A day may be very pleasantly spent by a journey, by the narrow gauge railway, which passes through beautiful scenery, to Corris, thence by road to Taly- llyn lake, near the foot of Cader Idris, and down to Abergynolwyn, from which place another narrow gauge line runs to Towyn. Another journey may be made from Cemmaes Road station by a branch railway, constructed by Sir Edmund Buckley, to Dinas Mawddwy, passing Cemmes, Aberangell, and Mallwyd. Three miles further up the valley of the Dovey is Llanymawddwy. Bala may be reached from here by crossing the mountain, the pass being one of the highest in Wales. Between Cemmes Road and Machynlleth is the pretty Kttle village of Llanwrin, the Rectory of which is the. happy home of the well-known Welsh litterateur and eminent lexicographer the Rev. Prof. 8ilvan Evans. Near Cemmes Road is also Mathafarn, the house where Henry VII. (then Earl of Richmond) was en- tertained, in 1485, by Dafydd Llwyd ap Llewelyn, on his way from Milford Haven to Bosworth. Abtrflovey is a mercantile port of growing import- ance, the Cambrian Railways Company having opened up the business of the place, and connected it by steamer with Waterford, in Ireland. The town is very pleasantly situated, and, owing to its genial, warm climate, is known as the Torquay of Wales." So sheltered is its position that fig trees grow and flourish in the open air in the neighbourhood, the fruit of which, in some eases, ripen while at Christ- mastimo the myrtle is in full blossom. This fact has induced many families to permanently reside here. There is also an extensive stretch of firm and smooth sands, reaching from the town to Towyn, thus afford- ing a most invigorating and healthful walk, the breezes coming straight from the Bay, being pure and bracing. There are very interesting walks along the mountain ridges to Llynbarfog (Bearded Lake), and other places. The drive from Aberdovey to Machynlletb is lovely, passing through the pictur- esque little village of Pennal, where there still exist remains of a Roman station. There is excellent fish- ing in the neighbourhood, the river Dovey being celebrated for its salmon, in addition to which the river Dysynni is within easy walking distance. There are ample means for excursion by water or railway, while the pedestrian will find a constant source of recreation and enjoyment, whether he be a botanist, geologist, or mineralogist. A ferry-boat connects the town with the Cardiganshire side of the river, and after crossing a pleasant walk of about three miles will bring the visitor to the village of Borth, and within six miles of Aberystwyth. There is good aeeommodatwA for visitors. Towyn is situated on the Cambrian Railways, four miles north of Aberdovey. There is a pleasant walk- from the town to the sea, where the visitor has a splendid view of Cardigan Bay. It is well adaptei for bathing, having a safe, sandy beach, exter, din for a distance of about six miles. Added to the lovely beach, the town is surrounded by beautiful walks and drives, the scenery blending the majestic with the picturesque. Tewyn is situated in a valley, with a range of mountains on either side; Cader Idris may be seen towering in the distance, the height above the level of the sea being 2,850 feet. 1 One of the most celebrated spots in the neighbour-- I hood is the Craig-y-deryn (Birds' Rock) about four J miles distant. The walk or drive thither is very I pleasant; leaving the town, after traversing about two miles, the visitor will arrive at Pontfathew Bridge, and then will pass through the pretty little village of Bryncrug, shortly afterwards turning to the right the base of the rock is reached. Some, however, prefer the view from the river, over which portions of the rock hang in majestic grandeur. The rock is the resort of hawks, cormorants, and other birds, and hundreds may be seen there at the same- time. Returning to the town, we again take a view in the direction of the sea, and in bright weather get- a view of Bardsey Island, the Carnarvonshire hills,. the town and castle of Abe. ystwytb, and 1he Pem- brokeshire hills. A pleasant excursion may be made' by the little railway which runs from here to Aber- ganolwyn, a district which is rich in historical associations. The river Dysinni affords capital fishing for salmon sewin, and trout, and TalyllyH Lah is also within easy access of the town, where boats may be obtained. There are two hotels neaf the lake. The Happy Valley is much resorted to by collectors of ferns and wild flowers, which grow and luxuriate here in abundance. In the town the Church of St. Cadvan will attract attention. It has within the past few years been restored. In the sixth century an Armorican monk, of noble birth, named Cadvaup was driven from his native land to Bardsey, or YnyS Enlli, the storm-beaten island two miles out from th* Carnarvonshire promontory, at the nortb-westerg point of Cardigan Bay. Here he became abbot; and, in extension of his missionary labour, sailed tø Towyn, confuted, with more or less effect, the Pela" gian heresy, and founded the church which bears Iùà name. Antiquarian zeal would fain have it that por tions of the structure, spared by the Danes, are still' to be traced in the ancient masonry. This much, at least, can be said of St. Cadvan's Church, whicb was restored in 18S0, that its architecture retaino considerable evidence of remote antiquity, anti that it presents, at several points, a most interesting example of the earliest Norman architect ture, rude, massive, strong, as with an instinct 0* defence natural enough in violent and sacrilegious times. The nave, with its round arches, carried of pillars of ample girth, the northern transept, the southern and northern aisles, and the clerestory, 311 preserve inviolate their true Norman character. W cumbeiiteitigieslai-etbose of Gruffydd ap Adda, Of Dolgoch, who was Rhaglaw, i.e., steward, nndej Edward III., for the commot of Ystumaner, an4 whose daughter, by name Nest, celebrated in Welsh poetry, who was buried here; and a ancient figure, apparently female, supposed to ?&. present Gwenddydd, mother of Cyngan, Prince °\ m. 1 owys in the sixth century. The first named$f these monumental sculptures pourtrays an '1 Welsh poetry, who was buried here; and a mort ancient figure, apparently female, supposed to ?&. present Gwenddydd, mother of Cyngan, Prince °\ m. 1 owys in the sixth century. The first named$f these monumental sculptures pourtrays an '1 knight, over whom is a canopy. Within the churo^| r but formerly external to its walls, will be seen, wi$ curious interest, a monument which is one of the most precious to students of Wal:;»! antiquity and religion; though, indeed, it was sadl1 neglected during a period of comparatively modetlJ PhiLstinism, when it was put to the base use of gire-post. This is no other than St. Cadvan* 1 i lar, bearing cross and inscription in rare obaractef", pronounced to be British, with Roman debasement*! of tbe seventhor eighth century. These charact**? are not seen in their precise form elsewhere, exc^P on a stone fixed in the wall over a fire-place in a on Bardsey Island. The inscription on the pillar been thus interpreted The body of Cyngan is on side wherethe marks will be.' Under a similar mofl^j extended Cadvan: sad that it should enclose praise of the earth may he rest without biemisli- âPicturesque Wales." The houses at Towyn built in the modern style, and there is very S lodging accommodation. M Crossirood, or Trawscoed, is the residence of i.arl of Lisburne, and is also the name of a station j the Manchester and Milford Railway. The is delightful. Caradog Falls, and Ystrad Men* quarry, the property of the Corporation of y twyth, where very fine stones are raised, are p^38 etween Crosswood and Strata Florida stations. Strata Florida, with its classic ruins of Flur Abbey. Numerous Welsh princes, lords, baj'"L, and distinguished personages have been v» its cemetery. Wear it fs FontrTiydfendigaid, bridge of the blessed ford. The Teify Pools are near. Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known and endowed grammar school, is half a mile from latter station. r Aberaeron, a sea port and rising watering-pla°fj' 16 miles from Aberystwyth. There is a good the Feathers, and lodgings are numerous. is bracing and the sea clear, with a shingle be^'L.i Good salmon and trout fishing. The artist, J,, grapher, and the antiquarian will find much; interest. Sweet Aeron's vale unknown in song, Demands the warbling lyre; Shall silver Aeron glide along, And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail interest. Sweet Aeron's vale! unknown in song, Demands the warbling lyre; Shall silver Aeron glide along, And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail To sing the charms of Aeron's vale ?" New Qu ay is prettily situated on the hill-side, se* miles below Aberaeron. elti Tregaron is an inland market town, where fcJ jp 1620, Twm Shon Catti, the Robin Hood' "Wild wag of Wales," who married an heiress, afterwards became a county magistrate. M Lampeter is an increasing market town, pleas^jJ situated, and the site of St David:s College, by Bishop Burgess in 1827. It confers the B.A- B.D. degrees. f Barmouth, a rising, progressing fashionable vjjfi mg-place with excellent boating, bathing, and fis. 1^61 good hotels and lodging houses. The railwaybrJ~jyi across the river has a footway for passengers, affords most beautiful views of river, sea, sylvan (Jf mountain scenery. The scenery along the the Wawddach, from Barmouth to Dolgelley, oli of the finest in the kingdom. ^ll In the centre of the town is a celebrated known as St. Cadvan's Well, to which was attrih miraculous powers of health-giving, the good s0^ QI benediction having rested upon it. Physician, ft. well-known repute have confirmed the legend 01 pe curative and renovating properties, among (Se^ who have borne testimony to the delights bathing, &c., at Towyn being Sir Spencer »Vg o» Bart., President of the Royal College of £ s'fl England, Dr. Bristowe, physician to St. 'Iho^pf. Hospital, Dr. Alfred Baker, of Birmingham* o| Wm. Dobie, of Chester, and Dr. Carpentc*Jl Croydon. A cave near the town is the haunt aS who visitthe shore, which is assigned by tradit1, the refuge of Owain Glyndwr in the depth 0 adversity. 1 tiooo Visitors will find a good deal of infortf* written in an agreeable style, with respect to jjtf and Mid Wales, in "Picturesque Wales, Godfrey Turner, The Gossiping Guide to £ <?' and The Pictorial Guide to North Wales,"

Advertising