Hide Articles List

3 articles on this Page

ALL ABOUT ABERYSTWYTH.

PLACES OF INTEREST.

News
Cite
Share

PLACES OF INTEREST. Llanbadarn Paur. The Church of Padarn the Great." The original Church was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales, A.D. 988. The present, 12th century Gothic, is supposed to date contemporary with William the Conqueror. The tower contains a peal of sweet toned bells, six cast at Gloucester in 1749, and inscribed-" I to the Church the living call, and to the grave do summon all," Peace and good neighbourhood," "Prosperity to the Church of England," When you us ring we'll sweetly sing;" two were added in 1886. The nave was restored in 1869, the tower in 1880, and the chancel in 1884. The church is now 01 e of the finest in Wales. It contains monuments by Flaxman and Bailey. Llanbadarn Fawr is pleasantly situated among country lanes bestud with ferns and wild flowers, corn fields and meadow lands with lowing kine, fleecy sheep, and warbling birds, forming an enjoyable contrast to the sterile rocks of the coast. The Devil's Bridge is a spot which once seen will never be effaced from the memory. The drive abounds in charms. Passing through quaint Tre- fechan-through Piccadilly turnpike onwards to the 9th milestone, 970 feet above the sea level-thence to the picturesque Hafod Hotel, where a scene of wild beauty bursts upon the enraptured view. The valley of the Rheidol contracts into a deep glen, the rocky banks of which are clothed with woodsâwith ferns, mosses, lichens and luxuriant wild flowers. Hawks, occasionally kites, and other birds abound. The Devil's Punch Bowl is a scene of terrific, weird grandeur. The falls of water are about 500 feet in extent. The Robber's Cave, the rugged steps and rustic bridges, have each their interest. The Devil's Bridge itself consists of two arches, the lower one having been built by the Cistercian Monks of Strata Florida in 1087, and the upper by the county in 1753. The Hotel is well appointed. Plynlimmon lifts his lofty form 2,469 feet above the sea level; like a bride at a wedding, the ob- served of all observers. Historically it abounds in interest. It has five peaks, whence its name. It comprises the sources of five riversâthe Severn, the Wye, the Rheidol, the Llyfnant, and the Dulas. Rare plants are to be found. There are inns at Dyffryn Castell and Steddfagurig. There are Druidi- cal Circles there. The Llyn Llygad Rheidol, covering 13 acres and 60 feet in depth, is the unsullied source of the Aberystwyth water supply The mountain is easy of access, and Picnics are frequent. The drive to it is beautiful. It is a weird region. Not in the phrenzy of a dreamer's eye, Nor in the fabled landscape of a lay, But soaring cloud-clad through its native sky. In tho wild pomp of mountain majesty." Bow Street, the valley of Llanfihangel Oeneu'rglyn, and Castell Gwallter, a British encampment. Borth.-This qniet, pleasant fishing village is gradu- ally developing into a much-frequented sea-side health resort. It is a desirable place for large fami- lies of little children, as the sands are so safe, and furnish abundant amusements for the juveniles. The bathing is excellent. The sands, which extend for two miles, abound with pretty shells, especially to- wards the estuary of the Dovey. At times the sea is to be witnessed in all its stormy grandeur. The ris- ing hill of Taliesin, with the lofty Plynlimmon form- ing the sombre background, with their historical associations, the spreading turbary, Cors Fochno, the passing trains, the rolling ocean,_ and the distant Bardsey Island, with the tranquil tittle town of Aber- dovey, the pure atmosphere and constant transforma- tions of the clouds, and the occasionally almost sub- lime sunsets, combine to form a picture upon which the eye of the poet, the painter, or lover of Nature delights to dwell. The stumps of trees, remains of a forest, are distinctly discernible at low water. The name ef Borth is from the Welsh Porth, an entrance, a gateway, a refuge, a port, as seen in Porthcawl, Portmadoo. Scholars will note that in Welsh, as in English, Italian, and French, the initial consonant undergoes transmutation. The Cambrian Hotel is a large and handsome edifice close upon the beach, facing Cardigan Bay. It is appointed with the usual auxiliary comforts for tourists and travellers. There is a Lawn Tennis ground, and provision for out-door amusements of all kinds. It is very near the railway station. Good lodging houses. Distance eight miles. May be reached by a pleasant walk over Craiglais hill and &or-a Clarach valley, returning by rail. Bedd Taliesin, the grave of the renowned Welsh Bard Taliesin, author of the patriotic prophesy- Still shall they chaunt their Maker's praise, Still keep their language and their lays; But nought of all their old domain, Save Gwalia's rude and mountain reign," -is situate on a high hill near the village of Taliesin, and may be reached from Llanfihangel, Borth and Glandovey stations. Llyfnant Valley, beautifully wooded, is reached from Glandovey Station. Machunlleth is a quiet but progressing town, twenty miles from Aberystwyth, on the banks of the Dovey. Owain Glyndwr held a Parliament here. The Plas, adjoining the town, is the residence of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry. A day may be very pleasantly spent by a journey, by the narrow gauge railway, which passes through beautiful scenery, to Corris, thence by road to Taly- llyn lake, near the foot of Cader Idris, and down to Abergynol wyn, from which place another narrow gauge line runs to Towyn. Another journey may be made from Cemmaes Road station by a branch railway, constructed by Sir Edmund Buckley, to Dinas Mawddwy, passing Cemmes, Aberangell, and Mallwyd. Three miles further up the -valley of the Dovey is Llanymawddwy. Bala may be reached from here by crossing the mountain, the pass being one of the highest in Wales. Between Cemmes Road and Machynlleth is the pretty little village of Llanwrin, the Rectory of which is the happy home of the well-known Welsh litterateur and eminent lexicographer the Rev. Prof. Silvan Evans. Near Commes Road is also Mathafarn, the house where Henry VII. (then Earl of Richmond) was en- tertained, in 1485, by Dafydd Llwyd ap Llewelyn, on his way from Milford Haven to Bosworth. Aberfiovey is a mercantile port of growing import- ance, the Cambrian Railways Company having opened up the business of the place, and connected it by steamer with Waterford, in Ireland. The town is very pleasantly situated, and, owing to its genial, warm climate, is known as the Torquay of Wales.' So sheltered is its position that fig trees grow and flourish in the open air in the neighbourhood, the fruit of which, in some cases, ripen while at Christ- mastime the myrtle is in full blossom. This fact has induced many families to permanently reside here. There is also an extensive stretch of firm and smooth sands, reaching from the town to Towyn, thus afford- ing a most invigorating and healthful walk, the breezes coming straight fro:n the Bay, being pure and bracing. There are very interesting walks along the mountain ridges to Llynbarfog (Bearded Lake), f and other places. The drive from Aberdovey to Machynlleth is lovely, passing through the pictur- esque little village of Pennal, where there still exist remains of a Roman station. There is excellent fish- ing in the neighbourhood, the river Dovey being celebrated for its salmon, in addition to which the river Dysynni is within easy walking distance. There are ample means for excursion by water or railway, while the pedestrian will find a constant source of recreation and enjoyment, whether he be a botanist, geologist, or mineralogist. A ferry-boat connects the town with the Cardiganshire side of the river, and after crossing a pleasant walk of about three miles will bring the visitor to the village of Borth, and within six miles of Aberystwyth, There is good acowomodatiw for yjsitorg. Towyn is situated on the Cambrian Railways, four miles north of Aberdovey. There is a pleasant walk from the town to the sea, where the visitor has a splendid view of Cardigan Bay. It is well adapted for bathing, having a safe, sandy beach, exter-din for a distance of about six miles. Added to the lovely beach, the town is surrounded by beautiful walks and drives, the scenery blending the majestic with the picturesque. Towyn is situated in a valley, with a range of mountains on either side; Cader Idris may be seen towering in the distance, the height above the level of the sea being 2,850 feet. One of the most celebrated spots in the neighbour- hood is the Craig-y-deryn (Birds' Rock) about four miles distant. The walk or drive thither is very pleasant; leaving the town, after traversing about two miles, the visitor will arrr e it Pontfathew Bridge, and then will pass through, UP pretty little village of Bryncrug, shortly afterwuids turning to the right the base of the rock is reached. Some, however, prefer the view from the river, over which portions of the rock hang in majestic grandeur. The rock is the resort of hawks, cormorants, and other birds, and hundreds may be seen there at the same time. Returning to the town, we ag-ain take a view in the direction of the sea, and in 1 rig-ht weather get a view of Bardsey Island, the Carna vonshire hills, the town and castle of Abei ystwyth, and the Pem- brokeshire hills. A pleasant excursion may be made by the little railway which runs from here to Aber- ganolwyn, a district which is rich in historical associations. The river Dysinni affords capital fishing for salm.cn sewin, and trout, and Talyllyn Lalie is also within easy access of the town, where beats may be obtained. There are two hotels near the lake. The Happy Valley is much resorted to by collectors of ferns and wild flowers, which grow and luxuriate here in abundance. In the town the Church of St. Cadvan will attract attention. It has within the past few years been restored. In the sixth century an Armorican monk, of noble birth, named Cadvan, was driven from his native land to Bardsey, or Ynys Enlli, the storm-beaten island two miles out from the Carnarvonshire promontory, at the north-western point of Cardigan Bay. Here he became abbot; and, in extension of his missionary labour, sailed to Towyn, confuted, with more or less effect, the Pela- gian heresy, and founded the church which bears his name. Antiquarian zeal would fain have it that por- tions of the structure, spared by the Danes, are still to be traced in the ancient masonry. This much, at least, can be said of St. Cadvan's Church, which was restored in 18£0, that its architecture retains considerable evidence of remote antiquity, and that it presents, at several points, a most interesting example of the earliest Norman architec- ture, rude, massive, strong, as with an instinct of defence natural enough in violent and sacrilegious times. The nave, with its round arches, carried on pillars of ample girth, the northern transept, the southern and northern aisles, and the clerestory, all preserve inviolate their true Norman character. Re- cumbent effigies jare those of Gruffydd ap Adda, of Dolgoch, who was Rhaglaw, i.e., steward, under Edward. III., for the commot of Ystumaner, and whese daughter, by name Nest, celebrated in old Welsh poetry, who was buried here; and a more ancient figure, apparently female, supposed to re- present Gwenddydd, mother of Cyngan, Prince of Powys in the sixth century. The first named of these monumental sculptures pourtrays an armed knight, over whom is a canopy. Within the church, but formerly external to its walls, will be seen, with curious interest, a monument which is one of the most precious to students of Welsh antiquity and religion; though, indeed, it was sadly neglected during a period of comparatively modern Philistinism, when it was put to the base use of a gate-post. This is no other than St. Cadvan'a pillar, bearing cross and inscription in rare characters, pronounced to be British, with Roman debasements, of the seventhor eighth century. These characters are not seen in their precise form elsewhere, except on a stone fixed in the wall over a fire-place in a house on Bardsey Island. The inscription on the pillar has been thus interpreted The body of Cyngan is on the side where the marks will be.' Under a similar mound extended Cadvan: sad that it should enclose the praise of the earth; may he rest without blemish. ,turesque Wales." The houses at Towyn are P# built fu the modern style, and there is very good lodging accommodation. Crossu-ood, or Trawscoed, is the residence of the Earl of Lisburne, and is also the name of a station on the Manchester and Milford Railway. The scenery is delightful. Caradog Falls, and Ystrad Meurig quarry, the property of the Corporation of Aber- ystwyth, where very fine stones are raised, are passed etween Crosswood and Strata Florida stations. Strata Florida, with its classic ruins of Ystrad Flur Abbey. Numerous Welsh.princes, lords, bards, and distinguished personages have been interred: in its cemetery. Near it is Pontrhydfcndigaid, the bridge of the blessed ford. The Teify Pools are also, near. Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known and well- endowed grammar school, is half a mile from the latter station. Aberaeron, a sea port and rising watering-place- 16 miles from Aberystwyth. There is a good hotel, the Feathers, and lodgings are numerous. The air is bracing and the sea clear, with a shingle beach. Good salmon and trout fishing. The artist, photo- grapher, and the antiquarian will find much, of interest. Sweet Acron's vale! unknown in song, Demands the warbling lyre Shall silver Aeron glide along, And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail To sing the charms of Aeron's vale ?" New "juay is prettily situated on the hill-side, seven miles below Aberaeron. Tregaron is an inland market town, where dwelt, in 1620, Twm Shon Catti, the Robin Hood" and "Wild wag of Wales," who married an heiress, and afterwards became a county magistrate. Lampeter is an increasing market town, pleasantly situated, and the site of St David's College, founded by Bishop Burgess in 1827. It confers the B.A. and B.D. degrees. Barmouth, a rising, progressing fashionable water- ing-place with excellent boating, bathing, and fishing, good hotels and lodging houses. The railWaybridge, across the river has a footway for passengers, which affords most beautiful views of river, sea, sylvan and mountain scenery. The scenery along the valley of the Mawddach, from Barmouth to Dolgelley, one is of the finest in the kingdom. In the centre of the town is a celebrated well known as St. Cadvan's Well, to which was attributed miraculous powers of health-giving, the good saint's benediction having rested upon it. Physicians of well-known repute have confirmed the legend of itS curative and renovating properties, among those who have borne testimony to the delights of sea- bathing, &c. at Towyn being Sir Spencer WellSj Bart., President of the Royal College of Surgeons ot England, Dr. Bristowe, physician to St. Ihomas'S Hospital, Dr. Alfred Baker, of Birmingham, Dr' Wm. Dobie, of, Chester, and Dr. Carpenter, ot Croydon. A cave near the town is the haunt of sfl who visit the shore, which is assigned by tradition $0 the refuge of Owain Glyndwr in the depth of biS adversity. Visitors will find a good deal of informatioDj written in an agreeable style, with respect to North and Mid Wales, in Picturesque Wales," by Godfrey Turner, The Gossiping Guide to Wales, and The Pictorial Guide to North Wales," &c,,

Advertising