Hide Articles List

4 articles on this Page

ALL ABOUT ABERYSTWYTH.

PLACES OF INTEREST.

News
Cite
Share

PLACES OF INTEREST. Llanbadarn Fawr. The Church of Padarn the Great." The original Church was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales, A.D. 988. The present, 12th century Gothic, is supposed to date contemporary with William the Conqueror. The tower contains a peal of sweet toned bells, six cast at Gloucester in 1749, and inscribed-" I to the Church the living call, and to the grave do summon all," Peace and good neighbourhood," "Prosperity to the Church of England," "When you us ring we'll sweetly sing;" two were added in 1886. The nave was restored in 1869, the tower in 1880, and the chancel in 1884. The church is now one of the finest in Wales. It contains monuments by Flaxman and Bailey. Llanbadarn Fawr is pleasantly situated among country lanes bestud with ferns and wild flowers, corn fields and meadow lands with lowing kine, fleecy sheep, and warbling birds, forming an enjoyable contrast to the sterile rocks of the coast. The Devil's Bridge is a spot which once seen will never be effaced from the memory. The drive abounds in charms. Passing through quaint Tre- fechan-through Piccadilly turnpike onwards to the 9th milestone, 970 feet above the sea level-thence to the picturesque Hafod Hotel, where a scene of wild beauty bursts upon the enraptured view. The valley of the Rheidol contracts into a deep glen, the rocky banks of which are clothed with woodsâwith ferns, mosses, lichens and luxuriant wild flowers. Hawks, occasionally kites, and other birds abound. The Devil's Punch Bowl is a scene of terrific, weird grandeur. The falls of water are about 500 feet in extent. The Robber's Cave, the rugged steps and rustic bridges, have each their interest. The Devil's Bridge itself consists of two arches, the lower one having been built by the Cistercian Monks of Strata Florida in 1087, and the upper by the county in 1753. The Hotel is well appointed. Plynlimmon lifts his lofty form 2,469 feet above the sea level; like a bride at a wedding, the ob- served of all observers. Historically it abounds in interest. It has five peaks, whence its name. It comprises the sources of fi ve rivers-the Severn, the Wye, the Rheidol, the Llyfnant, and the Dulas. Rare plants are to be found. There are inns at Dyffryn Castell and Steddfagurig. There are Druidi- cal Circles there. The Llyn Ltygad Rheidol, covering 13 acres and 60 feet in depth, is the unsullied source of the Aberystwyth water supply. The mountain is easy of access, and Picnics are frequent. The drive to it is beautiful. It is a weird region. Not in the phrenzy of a dreamer's eye, Nor in the fabled landscape of a lay, But soaring cloud-clad through its native sky. In the wild pomp of mountain majesty." Bow Street, the valley of Llanfihangel Oeneu'rglyn, and Castell Gwallter, a British encampment. Borth.-This quiet, pleasant fishing village is gradu. ally developing into a much-frequented sea-side health resort. It is a desirable place for large fami- lies of little children, as the sands are so safe, and furnish abundant amusements for the juveniles. The bathing is excellent. The sands, which extend for two miles, abound with pretty shells, especially to. wards the estuary of the Dovey. At times the sea is to be witnessed in all its stormy grandeur. The ris- ing hill of Taliesin, with the lofty Plynlimmon fornt. ing the sombre background, with their historical associations, the spreading turbary, Cors Fochno, the passing trains, the rolling ocean, and the distant Bardsey Island, with the tranquil little town of Aber* dovey, the pure atmosphere and constant transforma- tions of the clouds, and the occasionally almost sub. lime sunsets, combine to form a picture upon which the eye of the poet, the painter, or lover of Nature delights to dwell. The stumps of trees, remains of a forest, are distinctly discernible at low water. The name ef Borth is from the Welsh Porth, an entrance, a gateway, a refuge, a port, as seen in Porthcawl, Portmadoc. Scholars will note that in Welsh, as in English, Italian, and French, the initial consonant undergoes transmutation. The Cambrian Hotel is a large and handsome edifice close upon the beach, facing Cardigan Bay. It is appointed with the usual auxiliary comforts for tourists and travellers. There is a Lawn Tennis ground, and provision for out-door amusements of all kinds. It is very near the railway station. Good lodging houses. Distance eight miles. May be reached by a pleasant walk over Craiglais hill and across Clarach valley, returning by rail. Bedd Taliesin, the grave of the renowned Welsh Bard Taliesin, author of the patriotic prophesy- "Still shall they chaunt their Maker's praise, Still keep their language and their lays; But nought of all their old domain, Save Gwalia's rude and mountain reign," âis situate on a high hill near the village of Taliesin, and may be reached from Llanfihangel, Borth and Glandovey stations. Llyfnant Valley, beautifully wooded, is reached from Glandovey Station. Machynlleth is a quiet but progressing town, twenty miles from Aberystwyth, on the banks of the Dovey. Owain Glyndwr held. a Parliament here. The Plas, adjoining the town, is the residence of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry. A day may be very pleasantly spent by a journey, by the narrow gauge railway, which passes through beautiful scenery, to Corris, thence by road to Taly- llyn lake, near the foot of Cader Idris, and down to Abergynolwyn, from which place another narrow gauge line runs to Towyn. Another journey may be made from Cemmaes Road station by a branch railway, constructed by Sir Edmund Buckley, to Dinas Mawddwy, passing Cemmes, Aberangell, and Mallwyd. Three miles further up the valley of the Dovey is Llanymawddwy. Bala may be reached from here by crossing the mountain, the pass being one of the highest in Wales. Between Cemmes Road and Machynlleth is the pretty little village of Llanwrin, the Rectory of which is the happy home of the well-known Welsh litterateur and eminent lexicographer the Rev. Prof. Silvan Evans. Near Cemmes Road is also Mnthafarn, the house where Henry VII. (then Earl of Richmond) was en- tertained, in 1485, by Dafydd Llwyd ap Llewelyn, on his way from Milford Haven to Bosworth. Aberdovfiy is a mercantile, port of growing import- ance, the Cambrian Railways Company having opened up the business of the place, and connected it by steamer with Watcrford, in Ireland. The town is very pleasantly situated, and, owing to its genial, warm climate, is known as the Torquay of Wales." So sheltered is its position that fig trees grow and flourish in the open air in the neighbourhood, the fruit of which, in some cases, ripen while at Christ- mastime the myrtle is in full blossom. This fact has induced many families to permanently reside here. There is also an extensive stretch of firm and smooth sands, reaching from the town to Towyn, thus afford- ing a most invig-orating and healthful walk, the breezes coming straight frem the Bay, being pure and bracing. There are very interesting walks along the mountain ridges to Llynbarfog (Bearded Lake), and other places. The drive from Aberdovey to Machynlleth is lovely, passing through the pictur- esque little village of Pennal, where there still exist remains of a Roman station. There is excellent fish. ing in the neighbourhood, the river Dovey being celebrated for its salmon, in addition to which the river Dysynni is within easy walking distance. There are ample means for excursion by water or railway, while the pedestrian will find a constant source of recreation and enjoyment, whether he be a botanist, geologist, or mineralogist. A ferry-boat connects the town with the Cardiganshire side of the river, and after crossing a pleasant walk of about three miles will bring the visitor to the village of Borth. I and within six miles of Aberystwyth. There is gooa aoeoBunedfttien for Tiaitors. Crosswood, or Trawscoed, is the residence of the Earl of Lisburne, and is also the name of a station oø the Manchester and Milford Railway. The scenery is delightful. Caradog Falls, and Ystrad Menriir quarry, the property of the Corporation of Aber- ystwyth, where very fine stones are raised, are pnmreiT between Crosswood and Strata Florida stations. Strata Florida, with its classic ruins of Ystrad Flur Abbey. Numerous Welsh princes, lords, bardIr, and distinguished personages have been interred im its cemetery. Near it is Pontrhydfendigaid the bridge of the blessed ford. The Teify Pools are also near. Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known and wen- endowed grammar school, is half a mile from the latter station. Aberaeron, a sea port and rising 16 miles from Aberystwyth. There is a good hotel- the Feathers, and lodgings are nnmerous. The aic is bracing and the sea clear, with a shingle beach. Good salmon and trout fishing. The artist, photo- grapher, and the antiquarian will find muckf of interest. Sweet Aeron's vale! unknown in song, Demands the warbling lyre; Shall silver Aeron glide along, And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail To sing the charms of Aeron's vale ?" New Quay is prettily situated on the hili^sidaTsevea miles below Aberaeron. 'I rgaron is an inland market town, where dwelt in 1620, Twm Shon Catti, the Robin Hood" and "Wild wag of Wales," who married an heiress, and afterwards became a county magistrate. Lampeter is an increasing market town pleasantly situated, and the site of St David s College, founded by Bishop Burgess in 1827. It confers the B.A. and B.D. degrees. Barmouth, a rising, progressing fashionable watar- mg-place. with excellent boating, bathing, and fishing^ good hotels and lodging houses. The railwaybridge, across the river has a footway for passengers, whisk affords most beautiful views of river, sea, sylvan and mountain scenery. The scenery along the valleyoi the Mawddach, from Barmouth to Dolgelley, one is of the finest in the kingdom.

------------CLARACH.

ABERYSTWYTH.