Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page

ALL ABOUT ABERYSTWYTH.

PLACES OF INTEREST.

News
Cite
Share

PLACES OF INTEREST. Llavibadarn Fawr.â" The Church of Padarn the Great." The original Church was destroyed by the Danes when they invaded Wales, A.D. 988. The present, 12th century Gothic, is supposed to date contemporary with William the Conqueror. The tower contains a peal of sweet toned bells, six cast at Gloucester in 1749, and inscribed-" I to the Church the living call, and to the grave do summon all," Peace and good neighbourhood," "Prosperity to the Church of England," "When you us ring we'll sweetly sing;" two were added in 1886. The nave was restored in 1869, the tower in 1880, and the chancel in 1884. The church is now one of the finest in Wales. It contains monuments by Flaxman and Bailey. Llanbadarn Fawr is pleasantly situated among country lanes bestud with ferns and wild flowers, corn fields and meadow lands with lowing kine, fleecy sheep, and warbling birds, forming an enjoyable contrast to the sterile rocks of the coast. The Devil's Bridge is a spot which once seen will never be effaced from the memory. The drive abounds in charms. Passing through quaint Tre- fechanâthrough Piccadilly turnpike onwards to the 9th milestone, 970 feet above the sea level-thence to the picturesque Hafod Hotel, where a scene of wild beauty bursts upon the enraptured view. The valley of the Rheidol contracts into a deep glen, the rocky banks of which are clothed with woods-with ferns, mosses, lichens and luxuriant wild flowers. Hawks, occasionally kites, and other birds abound. The Devil's Punch Bowl is a scene of terrific, weird grandeur. The falls of water are about 500 feet in extent. The Robber's Cave, the rugged steps and rustic bridges, have each their interest. The Devil's Bridge itself consists of two arches, the lower one having been built by the Cistercian Monks of Strata Florida in 1087, and the upper by the county in 1753. The Hot-el is well appointed. Plynlimmon lifts his lofty form 2,469 feet above the sea level; like a bride at a wedding, the ob- served of all observers. Historically it abounds in interest. It has five peaks, whence its name. It comprises the sources of five rivers-the Severn, the Wye, the Rheidol, the Llyfnant, and the Dulas. Rare plants are to be found. There are inns at Dyffryn Castell and Steddfagurig. There are Druidi- cal Circles there. The Llyn Llygad Rheidol, covering 13 acres and 60 feet in depth, is the unsullied source of the Aberystwyth water supply. The mountain is easy of access, and Picnics are frequent. The drive to it is beautiful. It is a weird region. Not in the phrenzy of a dreamer's eye, Nor in the fabled landscape of a lay, But soaring cloud-clad through, its native sky, In wild pomp of mountain majesty." Bow Street, the valley of Llanfihcungel GeneWrglyn, and Castell GwaJIter, a British encampment. Borth.-This quiet, pleasant fishing village is gradu- ally developing into a much-frequented sea-side health resort. It is a desirable place for large fami- lies of little children, as the sands are so safe, and furnish abundant amusements for the juveniles. The bathing is excellent. The sands, which extend for two miles, abound with pretty shells, especially to- wards the estuary of the Dovey. At times the sea is to be witnessed in all its stormy grandeur. The ris- ing hill of Taliesin, with the lofty Plynlimmon form- ing the sombre background, with their historical associations, the spreading turbary, Cora Fochno. the passing trains, the rolling ocean, and the distant Bardsey Island, with the tranquil little town of Aber- dovey, the pure atmosphere and constant transforma- tions of the clouds, and the occasionally almost sub- lime sunsets, combine to form a picture upon which the eve of the poet, the painter, or lover of Nature delights to dwell. The stumps of trees, remains of a forest, are distinctly discernible at low water. The name af Borth is from the Welsh Porth, an entrance, a gateway, a refuge, a port, as seen in Porthcawl, Portmadoc. Scholars will note that in Welsh, as in English, Italian, and French, the initial consonant undergoes transmutation. The Cambrian Hotel is a large and handsome edifice close upon the beach, facing Cardigan Bay. It is appointed with the usual auxiliary comforts for tourists and travellers. There is a Lawn Tennis ground, and provision for out-door amusements of all kinds. It is very near the railway station. Good lodging houses. Distance eight miles. May be reached by a pleasant walk over Craiglais hill and across Clarach valley, returning by rail. Bedd Taliesin, the grave of the renowned Welsh Bard Taliesin, author of the patriotic prophesy- II Still shall they chaunt their Maker's praise, Still keep their language and their lays But nought of all their old domain, Save Gwalia's rude and mountain reign," âis situate on a high hill near the village of Taliesin, and maybe reached from Llanfihangel, Borth and Glandovey stations. Llyfnant VaUey, beautifully wooded, is reached from Glandovey Station. Machvnlleth is a quiet but progressing town, twenty miles from Aberystwyth, on the banks of the Dovey. Owain Glyndwr held a Parliament here. The Plas, adjoining the town, is the residence of the Dowager Marchioness of Londonderry. A day may be very pleasantly spent by a journey, by the narrow gauge railway, which passes through beautiful scenery, to Corris, thence by road to Taly- Ilyn lake, near the foot of Cader Idris, and down to Abergynolwyn, from which place another narrow gauge line runs to Towyn. Another journey may be made from Cemmaes Road station by a branch railway, constructed by Sir Edmund Buckley, to Dinas Mawddwy, passing Cemmes, Aberangell, and Mallwyd. Three miles further up the valley of the Dovey is Llanymawddwy. Bala may be reached from here by crossing the mountain, the pass being one of the highest in Wales. Between Cemmes Road and Machynlleth is the pretty little village of Llanwrin, the Rectory of which is the happy home of the well-known Welsh litterateur and eminent lexicographer the Rev. Prof. Silvan Evans. Near Cemmes Road is also Mathafarn, the house where Henry VII. (then Earl of Richmond) was en- tertained, in 1485, by Dafydd Llwyd ap Llewelyn, on his way from Milford Haven to Bosworth. Aherdovey is a mercantile port of growing import- ance, the Cambrian Railways Company having opened up the business of the place, and connected it by steamer with Waterforq., in Ireland. The town is very pleasantly situated, and, owing to its genial, warm climate, is known as the "Torquay of Wales." So sheltered is its position that fig trees grow and flourish in the open air in the neighbourhood, the fruit of which, in some cases, ripen; while at Christ- mastime the myrtle is in full blossom. This fact has induced many families to permanently reside here. There is also an extensive stretch of firm and smooth sands, reaching from the town to Towyn, thus afford- ing a most invigorating and healthful walk, the breezes coming straight fron* the Bay, being pure and bracing. There are very interesting walks along the mountain ridges to Llynbarfog (Bearded Lake), and other places. The drive from Aberdovey to Machynlleth is lovely, passing through the pictur- esque little village of Pennal, where there still exist remains of a Roman station. There is excellent fish- ing in the neighbourhood, the river Dovey being celebrated for its salmon, in addition to which the river Dysynni is within easy walking distance. There are ample means for excursion by water or.railway, while the pedestrian will find a constant source of recreation and enjoyment, whether he be a botanist, geologist, or mineralogist. A ferry-boat connects the town with the Cardiganshire side of the river, and after crossing a pleasant walk of about three miles will bring the visitor to the village of Borth, and within six miles of Aberystwyth. There is good accommodation for visitors. Barmouth, a rising, progressing, fashionable^^ ing-place. with excellent boating, bathing, and n good hotels and lodging houses. The railway across the river has a footway for affords most beautiful views of river, sea, jiey of mountain scenery. The scenery along the va1 the Mawddach, from Barmouth to of the finest in the kingdom. Towyn is situated on the Cambrian Railway3' miles north of Aberdovey. There is a pleas811 » from the town to the sea, where the visitor splendid view of Cardigan Bay. It is well gjjig for bathing, having a safe, sandy beach, e*1 for a distance of about six miles. lovely beach, the town is surrounded by "e walks and drives, the scenery blending the m with the picturesque. Towyn is situated in ft £ #<jer with a range of mountains on either side; Idris may be seen towering in the distant > height above the level of the sea being 2,o»>^jfcotiP' One of the most celebrated spots in the C' hood is the Craig-y-deryn (Birds' Rock) "et1 miles distant. The walk or drive thither i pleasant; leaving the town, after traversio?, two miles, the visitor will arrive at P°Bt ]itfe Bridge* and then will pass through the pretty to village of Bryncrug, shortly afterwards ^rlUgoI°e' the right the base of the rock is reached, however, prefer the view from the river, over The portions of the rock hang in majestic g-randeui- rock is the resort of liawks, cormorants, sgjPe birds, and hundreds may be seen there at "th time. Returning to the town, we again t^ke in the direction of the sea, and in bright weati1 a view of Bardsey Island, the Carnarvousbire felÃ" the town and castle of Aberystwyth, and be brokeshire hills. A pleasant excursion may b by the little railway which runs from hcre_ joric8? ganolwyn, a district which is rich in associations. The river Dysinni affords jjyu fishing for salmon sewin, and trout, and -1 Lake is also within easy access of the town: boats may be obtained. There are two the lake. The Happy Valley is much collectors of ferns and wild flowers, which &. luxuriate here in abundance. In the town of St. Cadvan will attract attention. It has the past few years been restored. In the sixt^9, an Armorican monk, of noble birth, named was driven from his native land to Bardsey, Enlli, the storm-beaten island two miles Carnarvonshire promontory, at the nor\ ⢠point of Cardigan Bay. Here he became in extension of his missionary labour, S+he ? Towyn, confuted, with more or less effecti Jii? gian heresy, and founded the church which b name. Antiquarian zeal would fain have itta 9tiJ* tions of the structure, spared by the Danes, to be traced in the ancient masonry. This p1 least, can be said of St. Cadvan's Churc"' was restored in 1880, that its architecture considerable evidence of remote antiq111^' m0s* that it presents, at several points, interesting example of the earliest Norman ture, rude, massive, strong-, as with an ^nS-je^io11 defence natural enough in violent and sacri gji times. The nave, with its round arches, ca tP. pillars of ample girth, the northern southern and northern aisles, and the c^°reLr. preserve inviolate their true Norman charact o cumbent effigies are those of Gruffydd ap Dolgoch, who was Rhaglaw, i.e., stewaro> gji Edward III., for the commot of Ystuman whose daughter, by name Nest, celebrated^ xp° Welsh poetry, who was buried here; and je ancient figure, apparently female, suppos ill present Gwenddydd, mother of Cyngan, Powys in the sixth century. The first n these monumental sculptures pourtrays iarob, knight, over whom is a canopy. Within the^ but formerly external to its walls, will be se^ tfc curious interest, a monument which is 00 tf&jL most precious to students °} 9 Jn. antiquity and religion though, indeed, Jt ^oiy^ neglected during a period of comparative^^ 0* Philistinism, when it was put to the ba»e fad**1*#, gate-post. This is no other than St.. ructe* pillar, bearing cross and inscription in rare c eflj0 pronounced to be British, withj Roman de hte of the seventh or eighth century. These G e etc8P e are not seen in their precise form on a stone fixed in the wall over a fire-plac" I il}t¡t ø' on, Bardsey Island. The inscription on theKg been thus interpreted 'The body of Cyg8:1ø.rrtJo tb6. side where the marks will be.' Under a sllDnCloSf â extended Cadvan sad that it should ^jeIuisb- praise of the earth may he rest without ^yjj 9^ j â" Picturesque Wales." The houses at aov* ] built in the modern style, and 18 lodging accommodation. Mohrated In the centre of the town is a ceie known as St. Cadvan's Well, to which WaS a agjt^ t miraculous powers of health-giving, the go0.a. ns £ benediction having rested upon it. PbyslC!j 0f & well-known repute have confirmed the legend th curative and renovating properties, among who have borne testimony to the delights bathing, &c., at Towyn being Sir Spencer 9ot Bart., President of the Royal College of England, Dr. Bristowe, physician to St. > VK Hospital, Dr. Alfred Baker, of Birmmg0* Wm. Dobie, of Chester, and Dr. Carp^ 0f r Croydon. A cave near the town is the who visit the shore, which is assigned by t 0f the refuge of Owain Glyndwr in the dep adversity. Q 0{ & Crosswood, or Trawscoed, is the residenCtatiOJl øt1: t;atio Earl of Lisburne, and is also the name the Manchester and Milford Railway.$10*'r is delightful. Caradog Falls, and Ystra quarry, the property of the Corporatio ystwyth, where very fine stones are raised^'+ionS- between Crosswood and Strata Florida st» Strata Florida, with its classic Flur Abbey. Numerous Welsh princes, r and distinguished personages have been l-aCiidt 1 its cemetery. Near it is Pontrhydf^^J1^ bridge of the blessed ford. The Teify A' near. Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known near. pd Ystrad Meurig, with its well-known fro endowed grammar school, is half a 1111 e latter station.. Aberaeron, a sea port and rising waterLDga boo I 16 miles from Aberystwyth. There is a gO The i the Feathers, and lodgings are numeroos\0 is bracing and the sea clear, with a shin»_i pP of Good salmon and trout fishing. The art' grapher, and the antiquarian will interest. t- Sweet Aeron's vale unknown in song, ki Demands the warbling lyre; Shall silver Aeron glide along, E! And not a bard inspire ? What bard that Aeron sees can fail ,too j! To sing the charms of Aeron's vale ?" New Quay is prettily situated on the hill*81 miles below Aberaeron. ,etg j Tregaron is an inland market town, 2, in 1620, Twm Shon Catti, the Robill irer's, "Wild wag of Wales," who married an M afterwards became a county magistrate- Lampeter is an increasing market toWD> V situated, and the site of St David's jg.A* by Bishop Burgess in 1827. It confers B.D. degrees. Visitors will find a good deal of lX^to written in an agreeable style, with » W, and Mid Wales, in "Picturesque +o^ Godfrey Turner, The Gossiping â £ C-> and The Pictorial Guide to North Wale8'

FF" LLEDROD. ^ (*&

BORTH." T

LLANILAR.