Hide Articles List

5 articles on this Page

ST JOHN'S, WvRKSOP.

News
Cite
Share

ST JOHN'S, WvRKSOP. JUBILEE ANNIVERSARY. THIS month St. John's Church, Work- sop, is celebrating the jubilee anniversary of its Consecration. The church owes its existence to the Foljambe family, of Os- berton, Worksop, and it has always been identified with the Evangelical tradition of the Church of England. The founda- tion stone was laid by Countess Milton, who gave the site, on April 16th, 1868, and the church was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln, in which dioeere Worksop then was, on August 9th of the following year. The late Mr. G. Savile Foljambe endowed the church, and his descendants continue to take a generous interest in its welfare. Owing to cir- cumstances it was found necessary to defer the jubilee celebration services until now. Fifty years ago Worksop was only a small town of 10,000 inhabitants, whereas now the population approximates 25,000, with every likelihood of a further in- crease, especially in St. John's parish. The first vicar was the Rev. uharlc" Bury, who left in 1872 on being appointed to Tickhill by the late IIT. Hon. F. J. S. Foljambe, He was succeeded by the Rw. G. Dobree, who was the Vicar from 1872- 1909, a man whose fervent zeal and true piety is a cherished memory. Mr. Dobree's good work is continued by the present Vicar, the Rev. J. H. Bligh, under whose influence- St; John's is steadily progressing. To mark the jubilee, the church has been renovated and re-decorated; the organ has been enlarged, the electric light installed, and the interior of the lofty spire thoroughly restored. A memorial to the many men of the parish who fell in the war has been placed in the church in the form of a brass tablet. The Lord Bishop of Southwell was the preacher on Sunday morning, and on Sunday next the Ven. Archdeacon Hack- ing, of Newark, will dedicate the organ and unveil the Memorial Tablet. As special preachers the Vicar has also had the assistance of two former curates, viz., the Rev. John Goulton, M.A., Vicar of St. Philip's, Nottingham, and the Rev. W. Langford, Vicar of Little- borough. St. John's Church is a centre of missionary enterprise and activity.

Advertising

Advertising

THE ULSTER QUESTION,I

[No title]