Hide Articles List

10 articles on this Page

NOTICES TO CORRESPONDENTS.

EARLY CLOSING.

LOCAL NEWS.

DISTRICT NEWS.

News
Cite
Share

DISTRICT NEWS. ABEBSY CHAN. ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH.âA public TAL. followed by an entertainment and ball, was hekfti- atthe above on Monday last. The tea wa)- largely patronised, as also was the entertainment when an interesting and attractive programme was gone through in a highly satisfactory man- ner. The ball was continued till the small houaa of the morning. PRIZE-DAY AT THE BOARD SCHOOLS.ft Friday last, the children attending these schools were presented with the prizes won by themw Mrs. J. W. Mulligan, The Hawthorns, performed the pleasing duty of presenting the little one* with the prizes, which consisted of books of adventure, Bible narratives, &c., &c. The child. ren, nicely dressed for the occasion, _presented quite a picturesque appearance, and all seemed proud of their presents. We believe the atten- dances this year (notwithstanding the trying ordeal caused by influenza) were above the ez. pectations of the most sanguine. INQUEST AT ABEBSYCHAN.âOn Tuesday, aa inquest was held at the Police-station, Abersy- chan, by Mr. E. H. Davies, deputy-coroner, and a jury of whom Mr. John Jones was foreman, respecting the death of Lucretia Hinman, 51 months old, Who died from injuries received on Hi the 14th inst. Mrs. Hinman appeared, and said her husband was a hitcher. On the day in ques- tion, she went out of the house, leaving the child in care of her daughter, who was 15 years of age. She had only been out a short time when her daughter came running after her, crying out that the Daby was scalded. She went back to tha house, and found the baby was badly scalded about the lower part of the body. Dr. Verity was called in, but the child died the next morn- ing.âThe daughter was then called, and said tha baby was, on the 14th inst., left in her care, and was sitting in a chair near the fire. Witness went to dip some boiling water from a saucepan into a pan that was on an iron stand before tha fire. She had dipped out one jugful, and was in the act of dipping another when the baby put out its hand and upset the pan of boiling water into its lap. Witness at once ran for her mother, but the child died the following day.âThe jury, returned a verdict that the child died front shock to the system caused by scalds. '(

ABERGAVENNY.

Advertising

i RAINFALL.'

Family Notices

THE RATIONAL SICK AND BURIAL…

BLAENAVON.