Hide Articles List

24 articles on this Page








[No title]












[No title]




[No title]


THE INQUEST ON MARY JANE KELLY The inquest on the body of Mary Jane Kelly, the I victim of the Dorset Street tragedy, was opened or Monday at the Shoreditch Town Hall, before Dr Macdonald, M.P.,coroner for North East Middlesex Great interest wa-s t.-ken iu the proceedings, but tht room in which the enquiry was held barely sufficed to accommodate the jury and the many repre- sentatives of the Press who attended. The first: witness called was Jo.-eph Harnett, who said I am! a labourer. I lived a year and eight months with; the deceased. She told me her name was Maruj Jeanette Kelly. 1 have seen the body, and from) the hair and eyes recognise it to be her. I lived! with her in Miller Court about eight months. T separated from her on the 30th of this month,! because she took ill uuotlier woman out of compassioni on her, and I objected to it. I saw her last alive between half-past seven and a quarter to eight onl the night before she was murdered. I called on her and stayed for a quarter of an hour. We were on friendly terms. She has been drunk several times in my presence. She told me she was born in Limerick, but went to Wales very young. She said her father's name was John Kelly, and that he was gaffer in an ironworks in Carnarvonshire or Carmar- thenshire. She said she had been married in Wales to a collier named Davies, who was killed in an explosion. She lived a bad life in Carditf, and afterwards in the West End of London. She went to France for a short time, and she then came to the East End. She lived with a man named Morgan- stone, near the Stepney Gasworks, and afterwards stayed at another houae, where she was visited by a man named Joseph Kelly, who lived in Bethnal Green Road. She used to ask me to read to her about theWhitechapel murders, and I did so.-At this point the Coroner said Dr. Phillips had written asking whether his attendance would be required. He (the Coroner) thought that Dr. Phillips should attend to give formal evidence as to cause of death.â John Bowyer said: About a quarter to 11 on Friday morning I was sent by my master, Mr. McCarthy, to ask Mary Jane Kelly for the rent. I knocked and got no answer, so I put my hand through the broken window, moved the curtain, and saw tiesh on the table aud the body on the bed. 1 told Mr. McCarthy, and we fetched the police.âJohn McCarthy said I am a grocer and lodging-house keeper, in Dorset Street. About a quarter to 11 I sent the last witness to the deceased for the rent. He came back and saidjbe kuocked at the door, and, getting no answer, looked through the window and saw the blood. I went and looked myself, and saw the body of a woman and went to the police station and reported to Inspector Beck. I often saw the deceased drunk. When sober she was a very quiet woman.âMary Ann Cox, re- siding in Miller's Court, said: I last saw deceased on Thursday night. She was very drunk. She was going up the court with a short, stout man, snabbily dressed. He wore a long dark coat and a billy-cock hat, and had a pot of ale in his hind. He had a blotchy face, and a full, carotty moustache. 1 heard deceastd singing A violet I plucked from my mother's grave." I went out again at one o'clock, and she was still singing. At three I returned, the light was out, and all was quiet. I did not sleep a wink that night. I heard someone go out at a quarter past six, but I do not knowfiom what house. 1 should think the man I saw with Kelly was about tive or six and thirty. If there had been a cry j of murder I should have heard it.âElizabeth Jones sa d I live in a room over deceased. I went home about halt-past one on Friday morning. About half- past three my kitten came across my face, and just as 1 pushed it away I heard a suppressed cry, Oh, muraer." Being accustomed to such cries I took no notice of it.âCaroline Maxwell, who was cau- tioned by the Coroner as to her evidence, said I saw the deceased standing at the entrance to the court on Friday morning about half-past eight o'clock. 1 asked her why she was up so early. She said she was so bad. I asked her to have a drink, and she said, I have just had half a pint of ale and brought it up again." I went to Hii-hopsgate, and on returning, saw her standing outside the Britannia public-liouse talking to a man. He seemed to be a short, stout man, and I believe he wore a plaid coat.âLewis Laundress said, I saw a man waiting outside Miller's Court, about half-past two on Friday morning. I remained in the Court all night.aud about four heard a woman Tiiirht, 1 was -with a fe- male, wnen a weu-aressed man carrying a black bag asked us to come down a passage. We were afraid and ran away. He had a black moustache and was very pale. On Friday morning as I was going to Miller's Court I met the same man with a temale in Commerical street.-Dr. George Baxter Phillips deposed I am surgeon to the H Divisiom of the Metropolitan Police. I cannot give the whole of my evidence now. On Friday morning, about 11 o' clock, I proceeded to Miller's Court, and in a room there found the mutilated remains of a woman lying two-thirds over towards the edge of the bed nearest the door. Subsequent to the injury wHch caused death, the body had been removed from the opposite side of the bed which was nearest the wooden partition. The presence of a quantity of blood on and under the bed lead me to the conclusion that the severanee of the carotid artery, which was the immediate cause of death, was inflicted while de- ceased was lying at the right iiide of the bedstead, and her head and neck in the right hand corner.- TLat is as far as I propose to carry with the evidence now.âThe coroner said he proposed to continue taking evidence for an another hour. The jury expressed a wish to adjourn for some time. The coroner replied he would resume in quarter of an' hour.âOn resuming, Julia Yenturney said I am a charwoman, and live at Miller's Court. Deceased told me she liked another man other than Joe Bar- nett, and he often came to see her. I was at home during Thursday night, and bad there been any noises should have heard them,âMaria Harvey, l.VaT;*r £ £ s, said I have slept with the deceased on several occasions, and never heard her express a fear of anyone.âInspector Beck, H Division, said I ac- companied Dr. Phillips to the house. Do not know that deceased was known to the police.âInspector Abberline, Scotland Yard, deposed: I went to! Miller's Court at 11.30 on Friuay. When there I received intimation that bloodhounds were on the WiJj". I waited till 1.30 when Superintendent Arnold arrived, and said the order for bloodhounds had been countermanded. The door was then forced. In the grate were traces of the woman's clothing having Ofeu burnt. The opinion is they were burut to give sufficient light for the murderer to do his work.- The Coroner said this concluded the evidence offered at present. The question was whether tKj jury had not abeady heard sufficient testimony to enable them to determine the cause of death. His own opinion was they might coucled, "nu. leave the case to the police.âThe jury, attCt, few moments' cousulta- tiou, returned a verdict v. Wilful murder against! some person or persons unknown."