Hide Articles List

11 articles on this Page

Advertising

CENTRAL WELSH BOARD.j

Needlework and Cutting-out,…

Boys' Intermediate School.

MOUNTAIN ASH.

PENRHI WCEIBER.

.ABERCYNON.

) |YNYSYBWL.

TABERNACLE, C.M., ABERCYNON.

News
Cite
Share

TABERNACLE, C.M., ABERCYNON. The Welsh Calvinistic cause at Tab- ernacle, which has just celebrated its jubilee, was commenced about 28 years ago, the Sunday School then being held in the house of the late Mr. John Mor- ris Jones, Enilyn House, who at that time lived next door to Cynon Stores in Glancynon, opposite Caltaria Baptist Chapel. After some months it was de- cided to remove to the stable loft of the junction Stores, then occupied by Mr. Thomas W. Jones. Shortly afterwards, the erection of a vestry was decided upon, and this was opened in 1893. Six years later, in 1899, the present Taber- nacle was opened, to seat 550, the vestry accommodating roughly a third of this number. About 7 or 8 years ago a smaller vestry was built at the top of Glancynon Terrace, where a branch Sun- day School and week-night services are held for the benefit of the members liv- ing on the left bank of the river. The total cost of the chapel and both vestries amounted to JC3,320. Less than three months ago the outstanding debt wae £ 600, but thanks to the concerted efforts of the members, not only is the church to-day free of debt, but there is also a balance in hand. Three of the original I members still remain in the church, namely, Mrs. John Morris Jones, Emlyn House; Mrs. John Jones, Teifi House; and Mr. David Jacob Price, who has ful- filled the duties of church secretary and precentor for upwards of 25 years. When the church was opened in 1899 the mem- bership was 115, but by to-day the total of 335 has been reached. During its com- paratively short history Tabernacle church has had 3 ministers. The first was the Rev. M. H. Jones, B.A., who has just been appointed to the post of Assistant Librarian of the Welsh Nat- ional Library, at Aberystwyth. Mr. Jones was pastor from 1900 to 1903. The same year the Rev. William Jones ac- cepted an invitation to the pastorate, the duties of yvhicli he faithfully carried out till he left for Ponrhydfendigaid, in 1914. During the period of the war the church remained without a pastor, but in January of this year, the present pastor, the Rev. William Moses Davies, B.A., undertook the supervision of Tab- ernacle. Mr. Davies at one time be- longed to the teaching profession, but prior to his entry to Abercynon he was pastor of Gosen, Treorchy.

AEROPLANE AT YNYSYBWL.

WORKMEN'S THEATRE, MOUNTAIN…