Hide Articles List

17 articles on this Page

- UP AND DOWN THE COAST. 1

LLANIDLOES NOTES.

CARNARVONSHIRE ASSIZES.I

. THE COLLIERY ACCIDENT IN…

News
Cite
Share

THE COLLIERY ACCIDENT IN SOUTH WALES. The explorations at the upcast shaft of the Dinas Pit have recently advanced very satisfactorily, the top of the double parting, which leads to the inner workings, being reached on Wednesday night, Jan. 22. There is yet considerable ground' to clear before arriving at the scene of the explosion, but should the place keep tolerably free from fall and gas it is now expected that the bodies will be recovered in a short space of time. Another serious consequence of the disaster was demonstrated on Wednes- day, in a place called the level heading, where about 100 men are employed. This place is connected with the pit by way of the old workings, and a fall in the former so interfered with the ventilation that the miners were obliged to abandon their work. Some serious revelations are expected to be made at the inquest, and the miners of South Wales have been called upon to subscribe sixpence each for the purpose of providing legal assistance. OPENING OF THE NEW JEWIN WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, LONDON. Friday, January 17, was a day of great interest to the members of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists in London, namely, the opening of the new Jewin Chapel. The lease of tbe old Jewin Crescent Chapel having expired in 1876, the congregation have since worshipped in the Hall of the Young Men's Christian Association in Aldersg.ate- street. A site for a new chapei was obtained with some difficulty, but, after persevering efforts, a freehold was secured in Bridgewater Gardens, Aldersgate-street, at a cost of £5,00a, aid a chapel of some architectural pre- tensions has been raised at a further cost of £5,000. It is capable of seating 630 persons. This church is the mother church of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists in London. It was founded in 1774 in Smithfield, where it continued for 11 years. It was removed in 1785 to Wilderness-row, where it remained for 37 years, and in 1822 to Jewin-crescent, where it remained 54 years. That place was relinquished in 1876. And now, after the lapse of 103 years from its formation, the church is provided with a new and permanent home. The occasion of opening, on Friday, was inaugurated by a social tea in the schoolroom attached to the chapel at five o'clock, and at seven o'clock by a public meeting in the chapel. Amongst those present wereâMr. Henry Richard, M.P., Mr. Samuel Morley, M.P., Mr. J. H. Pules- ton, M.P., the Rev. Evan Jones, incumbent of the Welsh Episcopal Church, Rev. J. Lewis, Carmarthen, (Homo Ddu), Rev. J. Thomas, Independent minister, Borough Chapel, Dr. Owen Thomas, Liverpool, Mr. Stephen Evans, Old Change, Mr. Abel Simner, and others who took part in the public proceedings. The chair was taken by Mr. Henry Richard, M.P., who called first upon Mr. Stephen Evans, treasurer, to read the financial statement. The subscriptions promised amount to £3,789 18s., and the amount received for the surrender of the lease of the old chapel this brought the original debt of £10,000 down to somewhat near £3,000. The CHAIRMAN then addressed the meeting. He stated that down to nearly the close of the last century, they were told by the late John Davies of Nantglyn, who wrote reminiscences of the days of his boyhood, the Bible was generally a stow-away, locked up in a box, and used as a charm generally, against ill-luck, ill-health, and sufferings in man and animal. A well-to-do farmer whom he knew, being on his death-bed, sent for the clergyman to ad- minister the Sacrament to him. The clerk who bore the holy vessels, and the Bible, and the Common Prayer, was asked by the wife, What have you in that green bag?" The reply was that he had the Bible in it. She then aked him to let her see it. That being done, she said, Well, thank God, we never had occasion for that book in this house before, and I hope never to have occasion for it agaiji." The late Rev. Thomas Charles of Bala, stated that at the commencement of this century in North Wales, not one in twenty families had a Bible, and not one in twenty could read. Referring to the rise, and work, and progress of the denomination, he, the speaker, stated that the first organization took place in or about. the year 1742. In 1746 there were 140 societies formed, and 40 preachers exhorting. This did not imply that there were 140 chapels; there were no chapels, the as- semblies being held in private houses. The first chapel was built in Llangeitho in 1760. The same year an Asso- ciation (Sassiwn) was held in Bala, but the number of hearers on the occasion did not reach two hundred. The number of chapels and places of worship in the year 1877 was 1,134, and the number of ministers and preachers was then 872. The sum collected during the ten years ending 1877 amounted to £1,341,000 for the various denomina- tional purposes. But this was the growth and develop- ment of only one denomination in Wales. There were other workers in Wales, the Independents, Baptists, Wes- leyans, and the Church of England. He was glad to find that the Church of England was in an anused spiritual state he wished them God speed. The preaching of the gospel in Wales had done much to elevate the character of the people. He could speak boldly and proudly of his country, and would challenge the most violent calumniator oi. the Welsh to a comparison of crime statistics with England. He regretted to see how far blindness and prejudice could carry some writers in the English press, who could magnify a small local squabble, perhaps about fisheries in Radnorshire, into a national affair, and attack the people as a whole as law- less. He (the speaker) said this was unfair and mali- cious. When the great strike took place in Merthyr some two or three years back, and thousands of people were in coerced idleness, he was assured by the magistrates of Merthyr that there had not arisen a single police case out of that strike. He was thus thankful to God for what religion had done for the people of Wales. The Rev. Dr. OWEN THOMAS, of Liverpool, and a focmer minister of Jewin Crescent Chapel, next addressed the audience in Welsh. In the course of his speech, he said that one Evan Richards, in Bala, was preaching in a mill, the rostrum being the miller's floor-trough. The assembly got into the hwyl, and an old lady well skilled with the genius of poesy gave out a hymn of her own extempore makingâ Cawd, cawd, Fendithion fyrdd o'r cafn a'r blawd," &c. The Rev. EVAN JONES, of the Welsh Episcopal Church in London was received with great cheering. Mr. J. H. PULESTON, M.P., next addressed the meeting, and was received with repeated applause. He said that the present occasion reminded him of the happiest and pleasantest hours of his life; these pleasant feelings were mingled some sadness, arising from the loss of some old familiar faces. He felt glad to be there to mingle among them, and to see the beautiful temple they had erected. His memory brought back the time when he was taught Christian truths by a pious and a sainted mother. He was glad to be there with his honoured friend the Chairman, the great Apostle of Peace, and the Chairman of the Peace Society, though he differed from him on the questions which now divided the country. The meeting was also addressed by the Rev. J. LEWIS (Homo Ddu), Carmarthen, the Rev. J. Thomas, of the Borough Independent Chapel, and Mr. ABEL SLMNER. This last gentleman had the good pleasure of announcing that the amount given in on the collecting papers in the seats amounted, together with payment of old subscrip- tions, to the sum of £250. The Chapel Choir sang several pieces during the course of the meeting with nice effect. Several votes of thanks brought the pleasant meeting to a close. After the close of the proceedings we saw a commemo- rative album, to be presented to the Church at Jewin Crescent by Mr. Abel Simner, whose services have been invaluable to the denomination generally. This book is quite a unique thing, and extracts from its contents will interest the denomination generally. On the back is the following inscription :â Commemorative album of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, with historical facts and portraits of ministers and others since the foundation of the connexion, and original autographs of contributors of one pound and upwards towards the purchase of the freehold estate within the city of London, and the erection of a place of worship in lieu of the old chapel in Jewin Crescent, which was very much dilapidated, and was built in 1823 on a site held on a lease from the honourable the Gold- smiths' Company, and surrendered June 12th, 1876. Compiled and presented by Mr. Abel Simner to the Mother Church of the Welsh Calvinistic Methodists in London, 1878." The contents of the book, so far, are as followCopy of address; photographs of the present Chapel; names of the committee; extract from the Jicangelical Magazine for May, 1823. 200, containing the particulars of the opening of the Jewin Crescent Chapel portraits of the Founders of the Con- nexion, with their English Contemporaries who took an interest in their work in Wales, viz., Griffith Jones, Llanddowror, Daniel Rowlands, Llangeitho, Howel Harris, Whitfield, Jones, Llangan, John Wesley, Rowland Hill (three portraits at three different periods), Williams, Pantyceiyn, Lady Huntington, and her chaplain Mr. Fletcher, of Madeley, Charles, of Bala, and his friend, Robert Owen, of Bala, a man noted for power in prayer. It is said that Mr. Charles, being once very ill, and apparently on the point of death, was very anxious to have his life prolonged to accomplish the designs he had planned, besought Robert Owen to pray for him for an extension of his life. This Robert Owen did, asking God that his life might be extended fifteen years, and Mr. Charles recovered from his illness, and died on the same day, or thereabouts, fifteen years from the time Robert Owen prayed for him. Portraits of Thomas Jones, of Denbigh, John Elias, Ebenezer Morris, Ebenezer Richards, John Davies, Nantglyn, John Evans, New Inn, Thomas Richards, Owen Jones, Uelli, Henry Rees (two portraits), John Jones, of Runcorn, who was Henry Rees's only schoolmaster when he lived at Llansannan John Parry, of Chester, the founder of the Tryxorfa; William Boberts, Amlwch, John Evans, of Bala, John Hughes, Pontrcbert, Robert Thomas, Llidiardau, Robert Jone8, Roslan, John Wones, Ta.1sam, D.Lvitl Jones, Treborth, Richard Humphreys, John Prytherch, Evan Harris, David Charles, Carmarthen, David Rowlands, Bala, David Howel, John Hughes, Liverpool, William Morris, Cil- gerad, William Evans, Ton-yr-efail, now living and ninety-six years of age John Jones, Blaenanerch, Owen Thomas, Liver- pool, Dr. Edwards, Bala, Emrys Evans, T. C. Charles, John Bala, Edward Morgan, Dyffryn, Thomas Piiillips, of the Bible Society, Roger Edwards, J. Foulkes (Ewythr o'r Cwm), Thomas Hughes, Carnarvon, Christmas Evans, Williams Y Wern, and others. Then follow two original letters from John Elias, one of a very strange character, addressed to the Church in Jewin Crescent, in the year 1823, directing them to expel nine of their members who baù voted for the emancipa- tion of the Roman Catholics without leave from the Church. A letter from John Jones, Talsarn, on a point of doctrine. por- traits and autographs of the ministers of Jewin Crescent Chapel, John Rees, who was minister when at Wilderness-row, and after its removal to Curzon-street, James Hughes, Owen Thomas, D. C. Davies, John Mills, Robert Owen. Handbills calling the first meeting, Dec. 1, 1877. Portraits of those present. The printed contribution list, with the total amount promised at that meeting, of £2,778. Tracts. The confession of faith. Con- stitutional deed. Declaration of trust. Copy of a case sub- mitted to Mr. U. Osborne Morgan, Q.C., inquiring as to the real position of that constitutional deed as reards the law of the land; his opinion. Photograph of Mr. U. Osbome Morgan, Q.C., M.P., Copies of four conveyances drawn up by Mr. Morgan for their use, these are printedâ1, a deed of purchase 2, a. deed of gift; 3, lease by way of gift; 4, lease by way of pur- chase. Au Act of Parliament, 31 and 32 Vic., c.â, being a special Act to legalize deeds that were valueless as to title. This was the sole work of Mr. Simner, and may not be inappropri- ately called Simner's Act. Sundry other photographs, and among them, those of Mr. R. G. Williams, Q.C., with a valu- able letter or opinion by him; MK David Davies, M.P., Mr. Samuel Morley, M.P., Mr. Bliss, Mr. Richard Davies, M.P., Mr. â¢f. H. Puleston, M.P., Mr. Henry Richard, M.P., Mr. Morgan Lloyd, M.P. An autograph letter from Lord Penrhyn, with a donation of £30 to the chapel. Then follow 4,500 ruled lines for subscribers to enter their names when they pay their subscrip- tlOns. T. W. H.

MERIONETHSHIRE ASSIZES. I

CEMMAES. t

FFESTINIOG.

CARNARVON.

DO IIYDDELEN AND VICINITY.

MACHYNLLETH.

CARDIGAN.

LLANBISDER.

TREGARON.

ABERYSTWYTH.

PORTDINORWIO.

TIDE TABLE FOR ABERYSTWYTH,…

[No title]